UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » Press Launch of the New Monster 797

Old 06-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
LTDUK

Wink Press Launch of the New Monster 797

Here's a press launch for all of the oil/air cooled Monster fans!

To see the images from this press launch, have a look at the blog post on DucatiUk.com: http://www.ducatiuk.com/news/ducati-...aunch/index.do

Yet again the pre-launch discussions were based more around the weather than the bike. A deluge of biblical proportions was forecast and the journalists compared notes on wet weather gear. However, an email from head office suggested that we would make the most of the dry sunny weather on our travelling day and hop on some bikes as soon as we arrived in the Cote-d’azur in the South of France.

For most journalists the pictures are almost as important as the ride and the chance of getting images of a red Monster 797’s in good light with the backdrop of a glistening sea would be too good to miss. So it was off the coach, check in, dump the bags, get changed and after a short briefing we headed out to the coastal roads of the French Riviera.

What would normally take half a day was achieved within an hour, as photographers and video guys worked their magic and provided the journalists with a selection of images that they were more than happy with.

The next morning, I drew the curtains of my hotel room and my unfounded optimism was dashed as I watched the rain lash down on the sea and pool below.

After breakfast, the Ducati team decided that we would at least head out on the route and try to get some more photos and video footage. Once this was achieved it was fairly obvious to everyone that there was no need, and no fun in continuing with the roads now, especially since they had more of an appearance of rivers. Apart from a hardy French rider, everyone headed back to the hotel to dry off and empty their boots and backpacks of water.

An early lunch was taken which lasted until the early afternoon as journalists retired to their rooms to write their stories and reflect on their limited impressions of the bike. Fortunately, the Monster 797 is a fairly straightforward motorcycle and it can be judged after a short time. The consensus was that Ducati had achieved its goals and reintroduced an entry level Monster to the range which is easy to ride, has excellent neutral handling, but with a quality of finish and componentry that some of its cheaper competitors can only dream about.

Whether you are a novice, returning rider, second bike purchaser or Monster fan you will not be disappointed. The 797 is a brilliant bike and does not let down the Monster lineage that began back in the early 90’s. The Monster 797 along with the rest of the 2017 range will be available to view and test ride at the Ducati Season Opening Day on the 8th April at Ducati dealers throughout the UK.

Below are some links to reviews from the press:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ide-and-review

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...ter-797-review

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/f...97-first-ride/
Old 07-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Why they're using that awful primer colour for the press \ show bikes is beyond me? Ducatis are red. And when they are not red they are black or white (or whatever, you see where I'm going with this...) but they are not supposed to look like they forgot to paint it!

Do 'new' riders with no experience of anything really shell out £9k on their first bike? Fair play to them if they do I suppose, and I guess it depends on what they learnt to ride a bike for. I mean, the implication is that it's just to pose about on, since you can buy a used Ducati for a lot less money... Even the M696 cost a fair bit less than that from new. It just doesn't add up to me?

In other news, it seems I'm a tad grumpy this morning
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
In other news, it seems I'm a tad grumpy this morning
Bob, you make me chuckle.

Well, its an aircooled middleweight monster .. I'm bound to like it.
70 odd bhp is just right for a torquey road bike in my opinion.
And if the seat comes off with the key and the tank unclips and hinges like an original monster, then that is a good thing.
Double sided swinger floats my boat.
As does minimal electronics.

On the downside though, what on earth are those plastic wings that try and pretend to be radiator shrouds as per a watercooled bike ? What's that about ?
Surely the oil cooler doesn't need the extra efficiency of air scoops ? .. in fact in my opinion the value of having the oil cooler at all is borderline.

And at 193 kg its more than a tad lardy .. that's 15kg heavier than my old school 750 was when new (damn nearly 30kg heavier than it is now).

But overall, my initial impressions are of it are very good.
It holds true to most of the principles that are, in my opinion, the essence of a monster.
If I was in the market for a new model, this is almost certainly what I would buy.

And I would have the grey one.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
70 odd bhp is just right for a torquey road bike in my opinion.

And at 193 kg its more than a tad lardy .. that's 15kg heavier than my old school 750 was when new (damn nearly 30kg heavier than it is now).
I agree, its power is in the right ball park for a road bike. However with all their engineering know-how Ducati have essentially managed to squeeze less power from an engine that's over 100cc bigger than the bike it replaces, which was brought out like 9 years ago? Nice work! So I kinda think, why not just make the 696 again?

And then you factor in the weight. The 696 weighs 161kg dry, so I guess about 180 something-ish full of wet stuff? Which means that compared to a 696 from nine years ago the brand new 797 is heavier, less powerful (if only by a little bit), has less stuff on it and costs about £3000 more?

Form an orderly queue, newbies!
Old 07-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I think you'll find a lot of that's down to Euro4 compliance
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
LTDUK

Hi Uncle Bob,

Since the 797 has an engine that was developed from the 796, it would be more appropriate to compare it to the 796 rather than 696.

The price of a 797 in red is £7,895. A 796 with ABS was £7,695 in 2010, after UK inflation has been applied from 2010 to 2017, that £7,695 in 2010 which would have bought you a 796 is £9,476 today, so the 797 after being adjusted for inflation is less expensive.

From the same size engine, after having to pass stricter European emissions (now Euro 4), the 797 makes a claimed 75bhp, when we claimed 78bhp with the 796.

With the 796 we claimed a kerb weight of 188kg, with the 797 we claim a kerb weight of 193kg.

The 797 is equipped with a daytime running light, a USB charging port under the seat and ABS as standard.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
i like it and im not all that keen on the new shape monsters. i think Air cooled has always been the way to go with monsters. when everything is on show less is more.

Both the 797 and scrambler seem pretty good value to me. As has been said its pretty hard to compare prices to a monster released almost ten years. Especially with the economy the way it is.

i may be biased with having a senna currently but i love the grey too. everyone cant all like the same things though or life would be pretty boring.
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #8
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDUK View Post
Hi Uncle Bob,

Since the 797 has an engine that was developed from the 796, it would be more appropriate to compare it to the 796 rather than 696.

The price of a 797 in red is £7,895. A 796 with ABS was £7,695 in 2010, after UK inflation has been applied from 2010 to 2017, that £7,695 in 2010 which would have bought you a 796 is £9,476 today, so the 797 after being adjusted for inflation is less expensive.

From the same size engine, after having to pass stricter European emissions (now Euro 4), the 797 makes a claimed 75bhp, when we claimed 78bhp with the 796.

With the 796 we claimed a kerb weight of 188kg, with the 797 we claim a kerb weight of 193kg.

The 797 is equipped with a daytime running light, a USB charging port under the seat and ABS as standard.
Hello there LTDUK,

I'm calling 696 because of the styling and power output rather than what the engine was developed on. Either way, do you think a 'new rider' at which this bike is being aimed is going to know all that stuff?

And, all that being said, the fact remains that said 'new rider' can go and buy a better equipped, lighter, more powerful (albeit negligible) low mileage 696 for about half the price, so I'm curious about why they wouldn't just go and do that? And that's also assuming they want a Ducati and not a Yamaha or a Triumph (for example).

Obviously as a Ducati owner, and fan, I hope the bike does well
Old 07-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
And, all that being said, the fact remains that said 'new rider' can go and buy a better equipped, lighter, more powerful (albeit negligible) low mileage 696 for about half the price, so I'm curious about why they wouldn't just go and do that? And that's also assuming they want a Ducati and not a Yamaha or a Triumph (for example).
Cos those bikes are rubbish and this is a Ducati. I think it's pretty cheap considering.

Not for me but likewise hope it does well

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #10
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDUK View Post
...stuff...
So, have you ridden it or is this just all the press gumf ?

Have you got any pictures of them taken when you were out there that aren't press ones that we can have a look at? Me, I'd have loads and I'd probably be a bit more excited than "Ducati had achieved its goals"... lend me one for a couple of weeks and I'll do a report for free..!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Ducati must be applauded as they have at least either listened to us bemoan the fact that there is no entry level Monster or they figured that by themselves. I haven't looked at the links yet or seen the bike even, but if they have updated and revised the 796 then that maybe the right bike. I don't think either bike (796 or 797) ware (are) aimed at new riders especially as the price and insurance may be prohibitive for most new qualified riders but as an entry level bike into Ducati ownership that and the new Supersport may just fit the bill?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 02:51 AM   #12
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I just watched the 'Bike Show' review on this. They love it and I have to say it's by far the best looking of the new monsters

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
Scott1

I had a sit on the 797 at Brands yesterday, looks lovely and felt pretty good when your on the pegs, nice tank shape and feels and looks nicely proportioned. Sat on the Cafe Racer Scrambler as well, that's lovely but it felt tiny.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: