UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Third Monster, first in the UK

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
You can get decent beefed up starter and earth cables for Halfords in various lengths.

Have you got a painter in Glasgow? If not I can recommend a guy based out in Strathaven who did an excellent job on my tank recently.
Once I've got the charging sorted I'll look into doing it myself from scratch rather than buying a kit - something to do in dec/jan when it's least likely I'll get any riding time in (and thus can have the electrics in pieces and take my time).

I will probably go and see Eoin at EDC Designs down in Ayr, particularly as he can do the custom decals. I was hoping to have it done over this winter but I may have been a bit optimistic around the affordability (gotta go skiing in winter as well!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
As others have said nice blue colour but graphic too busy! I would go for black too though (black over metallic gold with gold stripe) and keep the design classic/simple.
I'm in agreement as well - the blue is quite nice, but even if it were just the blue I'd still probably want to change it. To me there are only 2 colours for a Monster - Rosso Corsa or Black

I'm definitely set on the gold twinline logos, but I'm still thinking about whether or not I want and gold striping, and if so - what kind and where. Eoin does mock-ups on the PC with a photo of the bike (according to his website, I haven't gone to see him yet) so might be able to play around a bit.

Here's a couple of photos of my previous two:

The '99 M900 that started it all. As far as I was concerned, the only bikes in existence were Japanese sports bikes - at the time I had a GSXR600K1 which needed a new front tyre, so I took it to the shop as usual. Next think I know they've lost the (only) key for it, tearing the shop apart last thing on Friday with no luck. Promising the replace the ignition if necessary, they needed to give me a bike for the night at least - enter the Monster. It had something like 78,000km on the clock and was the cheapest bike on the floor (NZ$6k). I didn't think much of it at first - until I got the Wainuiomata Hill, which is a fast windy 3/2 lane hill on the way home. I rode it 3 times before getting home that night. The next morning I told the shop to keep the GSXR because I was keeping the Monster and a deal was struck. Sadly she was written off by an inattentive driver changing lanes and plowing into me one Friday night on the way home.

(This photo taken at the top of the Rimutaka Hill, Upper Hutt, NZ)

I needed a replacement, fast, and the same bike shop was about to receive an '05 S2R800 at a similar price, so I went for it. It was nice (much better with some cans but not as thunderous as the '99 due to the horrible cows udder cat), but it didn't live up to the enjoyment I got from the M900. She was sold not long before I left NZ for the UK in 2017.

Frankenstein's Monster is my first bike since then, and it is much more like the '99 (better even!). I couldn't be happier, electrical gremlins and all.
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote