UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Prop/side stand alternatives?.

Old 18-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Prop/side stand alternatives?.

Hi all, am on a bit of a weight saving exercise on what is fundamentally a 1994 M900, so I've just picked up my standard prop stand and it weighs a ton, what are the lighter ducati alternatives, how about the aluminium ones, maybe off 1098? All thoughts suggestions gratefully received. Bitza
Old 18-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Do you mean the side stand? Standard was ally on ‘93 and early ‘94 M900 (Painted black) and not overly heavy. They snap though if overloaded, so perhaps yours has been changed?
An unpainted one is still available from Stein Dinse, but not cheap at €135. https://www.stein-dinse.biz/images/p...55620101ab.jpg

Last edited by Darkness; 18-01-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
Darkness

This looks like an ally one, though has lost the foot plate. Repairable though?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Duca...IAAOSwUulbv5kj
Old 18-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
If you're serious about shedding weight and have deep pockets, both Carbonworld and Fullsix do a carbon sidestand for the 696/796/1100

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55434

You'd probably also need the appropriate mounting bracket. It may or may not bolt straight on but I'm sure it could be adapted to fit if necessary.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
I've just found an ally side stand that I removed from my 1100s looks similar to the one from Stein Dinse, if that's any use pm me.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I've pondered an ally sidestand for years.
I believe that ally stands were fitted to earlier 2-valvers (my bike is a 2000 model)
You would probably also need the matching ally bracket to fit it, but I can't say for certain.
Also, I believe the design is slightly different in that the spring is fitted in front of the stand rather than hiding behind it.
They may also be of the "suicide" type, which I don't really like, but again I'm not sure if they are all like that.
I did buy an ally stand from an S4R, which looked like it might do the job but didn't fit properly (on the original bracket) when I tried it.
In the end, I decided that since the sidestand is one of the lowest fitments on the bike, its heavy weight is not of massive consequence.
Therefore I've stuck with the steel one for now .. although my decision was coloured by the fact that I've already extended the original stand to cope with a raised rear end.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Darkness

The early “suicide” stands can be made “normal” quite easily by cutting back the protruding head of the pivot bolt so that the return spring passes across the face of it rather than bending the spring around it. That allows the spring to pull the stand forwards ie. staying down, rather than pulling it backwards so that it shoots up as soon as there’s no weight on it.