UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Misfiring

Old 30-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #1
Omar

Bike: M1100evo
Misfiring

Hi,
Just been out for a ride and the bike (1100 Evo) developed a sudden severe misfire. Like its running on one cylinder or suffering fuel starvation. I stopped the bike and had a quick look around with nothing untoward found. The bike then started and ran normally. With a lack of confidence I rode home OK.
I am thinking perhaps the fuel filter, but the bike has only done 3,000 miles. Any other ideas folks?
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
Ron1000

Loose spark plug, loose HT lead, bad fuel or maybe it just had a tantrum.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #3
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Start with the most obvious possibilities: blocked fuel-tank filler-cap vent; corroded or loose battery or ignition terminal; loose or dodgy spark-plug cap/lead. If there's no sign of a problem, change the spark plugs anyway, and see if the old ones both have the same colour deposits.

If the fuel filter was changed fairly recently, make sure the fuel hoses are securely attached to it, I've known one to come loose.

Intermittent problems can be a right bastard to locate the cause, so best of luck with this one!
Old 30-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
Luddite

I doubt it would be the filter after only 3,000 miles, even if it is 8 years old. When I changed mine after 9 years and 10,000 miles, it showed little signs of use other than some discolouration.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58075

If the bike's been standing over winter, perhaps the fuel's gone off a bit. Try a tank of fresh petrol if you haven't already done so.

You flashed your ECU recently if I remember correctly. If you've not done more than 200 miles since then, the ECU's autoadaptive parameters may not yet have relearned all the relevant values. Put a few more miles on and see if it happens again.

If it does recur, you may have disturbed something or pinched a hose when refitting the ECU so it might be worth lifting the tank and checking all electrical and fuel connections are secure, including the relays.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Omar

Thanks

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I have now done around 400 miles since winter storage and so the tank has had a few fills with ESSO's best stuff and the re-map should have settled down I hope. I will slowly go through the suggestions and hopefully find the fault before I get stranded. Now have 600 miles of riding the bike and really enjoying it.
Old 30-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
It sounds like a loose connection to me, probably on or to do with the coils, but it could be lots of things.

My brother fitted electronic injection to his '72 Reliant Scimitar complete with learning ECU. Unfortunately he suffered a faulty sensor halfway through the ECU's learning curve and it tried to learn round it until the problem was spotted and sorted. The ECU had to start learning all over again.
Just mentioned that because it may have some relevance to you?
Old 01-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #7
crawsue
Bronze Member

If an Optimate cable has been recently attached it could be a loose battery connection, happened on a pals Multistrada....fitted by local dealer, went into “ limp home mode” similar to your single cylinder feeling....screwed up a good run into the bargain....��
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Do they have coil sticks or normal coils? In either case it could be a coil failing, usually when they get hot. So coil sticks are more prone to this than the regular coil/ht lead type.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #9
slob

They have 'normal' (very compact) coils
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #10
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
Crank position sensor?
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:35 AM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You would get an error code if the crank sensor failed or miscounted.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #12
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I would suggest giving Neil a ring at Cornerspeed and see what he thinks it could be.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #13
Omar

Fault

Thanks once again all for your suggestions. I have had a look under the tank and the only thing I have found is a relay / electrical connector that was swinging via a tie wrap. According to the manual it is for the fuel injectors? but it is actually in a different position to that shown in the manual's photograph. Hopefully a pic of it below?

I have made it more secure and will now put things back together and try again. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Dreaded DPO mods. Someone recently (Rob S maybe) suggested swapping over the 2 relays because if the other one is faulty the bike would then be dead.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #15
fastnfat

I had something similar a few years ago, a misfire that didn’t clear though. Cheapest and quickest option for me was replace the plugs. Fortunately, for me, that cured it. Must have been one was breaking down which was a bit surprising as they had only done about 2k miles!
fastnfat is offline   Reply With Quote