UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Monster 1100 evo exhaust valve removal

Old 11-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Joshua Brew

Bike: M1100evo
Monster 1100 evo exhaust valve removal

Hi guys, im looking to remove the butterfly valve located on the exhaust, can anyone recommend a plug in unit to remove any ECU fault after removal. Any advice would be appriciated,
Thanks
Joshua Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Brew View Post
Hi guys, im looking to remove the butterfly valve located on the exhaust, can anyone recommend a plug in unit to remove any ECU fault after removal. Any advice would be appriciated,
Thanks
What end cans do you have on the bike?
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
Luddite

If you're fitting Termis complete with the DP ECU, then the servo is disabled by the new ECU. Note that the ECU for the homolgated Termis, (i.e. the stainless ones with the catalysts), doesn't disable the lambda sensors. I'm not sure if the race ECU disables lambdas.

If you're running standard pipes or are fitting a different end can, have you considered remapping the ECU? Neil at Cornerspeed (http://cornerspeed.co.uk/tuning.php) will do this for standard or race cans and disable the exhaust valve and lambdas at the same time.

If you don't want to go down the remapping route, you could try one of these Duc.ee modules - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mon...-/262116197396
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 AM   #4
Joshua Brew

Brilliant, thats great infomation!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
Luddite

I just noticed that these Healtech units do the same job, are cheaper and are available from a UK supplier...

http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk...tor-pd-185.php
Old 12-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
fastnfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
If you're fitting Termis complete with the DP ECU, then the servo is disabled by the new ECU. Note that the ECU for the homolgated Termis, (i.e. the stainless ones with the catalysts), doesn't disable the lambda sensors. I'm not sure if the race ECU disables lambdas.

If you're running standard pipes or are fitting a different end can, have you considered remapping the ECU? Neil at Cornerspeed (http://cornerspeed.co.uk/tuning.php) will do this for standard or race cans and disable the exhaust valve and lambdas at the same time.

If you don't want to go down the remapping route, you could try one of these Duc.ee modules - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mon...-/262116197396
I didn't know that about the DP ECU and Termis with the exhaust valve. I have that set up but the servo still does the whiring bit when the ignition is switched on! I don't think the DP ECU doesn't disable the Lambda sensors with regard to showing a fault if you disconnect them. I've removed mine and used those plug in eliminators.

Last edited by fastnfat; 12-03-2017 at 04:15 PM..
fastnfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastnfat View Post
I didn't know that about the DP ECU and Termis with the exhaust valve. I have that set up but the servo still does the whiring bit when the ignition is switched on! I don't think the DP ECU doesn't disable the Lambda sensors with regard to showing a fault if you disconnect them. I've removed mine and used those plug in eliminators.
As far as I am aware for the M1100 (and I assume for the evo as well) there were three ECUs (standard, slip on Termis, full Termi system). Only the ECU that came with the full Termi race system eliminates the exhaust valve, because the race system doesn't have one. I also think that it eliminates the lambda sensors as well. On power up the dash will say RACE for both the slip on Termi ECU and the full system ECU, so don't let that fool you into thinking you have the full Termi system ECU.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
fastnfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEye View Post
As far as I am aware for the M1100 (and I assume for the evo as well) there were three ECUs (standard, slip on Termis, full Termi system). Only the ECU that came with the full Termi race system eliminates the exhaust valve, because the race system doesn't have one. I also think that it eliminates the lambda sensors as well. On power up the dash will say RACE for both the slip on Termi ECU and the full system ECU, so don't let that fool you into thinking you have the full Termi system ECU.
Thanks for the info. Just have the Termi Carbon slip on's. On start up it just says Monster Evo DP. Guessing that the full system ECU says Race
fastnfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #9
chris.p
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Just have the Termi Carbon slip on's. On start up it just says Monster Evo DP. Guessing that the full system ECU says Race

Best thing to do is get your ECU Rexxer flashed by Neil at Cornerspeed, (he does a postal service), it will make a huge difference, does away with the exhaust valve and lamba sensors, makes a big difference across the rev range.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Quote:
I think they may have changed what it says from the M1100 for the evo. I'm fairly certain my M1100 said RACE even though it only had the slip-on Termis and ECU. My evo had a standard ECU, but I can't remember exactly what it said on startup, but it didn't say RACE.

Getting rid of the exhaust valve servo motor does save a bit of weight (eating fewer pies is cheaper and has the same effect) and does create a bit of underseat storage for keys, wallet, phone, etc. However you'd have to do a bit of work to create a properly useable and watertight storage area. It also enables you to fit a straight through link section of pipe to replace the one with the valve in it if you want to.

For my evo I fitted a Duc.ee. That was before Neil started flashing ECUs by post.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEye View Post

Getting rid of the exhaust valve servo motor does save a bit of weight (eating fewer pies is cheaper and has the same effect) and does create a bit of underseat storage for keys, wallet, phone, etc.
Although clearly the eating pies argument does have it's merits its not an either/or situation. We can do one or both or neither. Or we can take weight off the bike in order to compensate for extra pieage and retain a neutral overall mass.

None is 'wrong' although a clever chap could make an argument that unlike in cars on bikes the positioning and movement of rider weight has an effect on handling.............

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
Joshua Brew

Thanks,
if i remove the servo and cable does the valve remain open?
Old 14-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
Luddite

Yes, the default position for the valve is open. If you look at the engine side of the exhaust you'll see a coil spring wound around the valve spindle to hold it open.

This is what it looks like when open...