UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Tank ring; clearly I need some advice...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Tank ring; clearly I need some advice...

So, further to my leaky tank saga, got a spare 900ie tank cheap. Not usually a fan of yellow, but I quite like the shade Ducati used - and it's only while the original is getting brazed up (and perhaps re-painted) anyway.

Bike ran like total garbage afterwards (tough to keep it running, just about idles, won't rev/respond to throttle properly, spits, pops and bangs). Obviously fuel-related.

Decide to swap over the pump/filter I took out of the leaking tank. Get the tank ring off, turn on the key - oh, look. Gusher from a huge split in the hose above the filter. Yeh, that'd be the problem... Pump actually looks newer than mine, so decide to use it...

Replace the hose and spend a fair amount of time up to my elbows in petrol. Finally get the pump's electrical feed on again and the pump located correctly in the clip. Yeh, I'd like 20 minutes in a room with whomever thought that was a good design - preferably with a baseball bat...

And now I'm stumped. The tank ring and it's cursed black gasket; I presume the thinner section goes into the hole in the tank, leaving the L section to go between the alloy ring and the very top of the tank? Seems like the only way that'd make sense.

See, I'm starting to question everything because I've lubed the gasket like crazy, removed all the grub screws completely for good measure - but the black gasket just seems too large to go into the hole in the top of the tank... It just never "starts" at all, no matter what I do; making sure it's square/holding pressure on the alloy ring and tapping with the shaft of a hammer - it just bounces. Using man-sized taps makes no difference - so doesn't seem to be a problem properly addressed with brute force and ignorance...

Does the gasket swell after use - or when removed - and I need a new one? It looks undamaged, so I thought I'd just re-use it - but that might explain it...

Or is there some arcane trick - perhaps involving chicken entrails and/or obscure curses in the direction of Bologna - to getting this into the tank? Perhaps sellotape around the corner of the gasket to help it start? Or work it in/around with a spudger to get it started?

Yeh, I could certainly use some tips here, so thanks for any suggestions...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote