UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello and 600/750?

Old 13-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #31
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
...The other thing is that monsters, with their torquey power characteristics and relatively gentle top end don't exactly encourage irresponsible riding ...
No-one told me that Does that mean I shouldn't be getting to the edge of my tyres and giving it a handful to ride the waves and waves of lovely torque??? Do I have to give it back now???

An early 600/750 in reasonable condition will start at around £1000-1500, and the 750s have enough poke to keep you happy (never ridden a 600 so don't know), cans and a dynojet (stage 2) make it even better.

There's a bit of a 600 fixer down here in the paper for £1000, but it is in west Cornwall...
Old 13-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #32
Nwsparky

Thanks blah, there's a few 600s about in need of tlc for little money. Just what I want, catch the end of the summer, do it up over winter and px for a 900 next year, she'll never know!
I had a gpz600 back in 2000 must have been F reg or something, I did get bored of its lack of grunt on the motorway pretty quick but I bought that to commute. I'd be happy to potter about this summer, build up mine and the wife's confidence then upgrade next year...
Nb. any excuse to go to west Cornwall is a good one though, lived down there for a year back in 96...
Old 13-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #33
Geoff Ives

I would have liked to come in on this subject earlier but was away sunning myself in the Isle of Man with my favourite bike.... A M750 Monster.

I have owned and still owned quite a few Ducatis but my all time favorite is the 750 Monster... Why?
It encourages quick but responsible riding, it is user friendly in town and on rural roads.

I took mine together with my 600SS to 'the Island' and didn't use the Supersport, I was enjoying the M750 too much. On some of the Manx back roads that I love to explore it is perfect and even on the T.T course it is just fine. Don't expect to keep up with a Fiteblade, you won't but you will enjoy a different riding experience.

I went for a M750 because the 900 was too tall and too jerky in town while the M600 just wasn't powerfull enough.

You might have too look hard for a good 750 but it is worth the wait. Pay a little extra for a better machine and you may be making one of the best decisions of you morotcycle career.

Good Luck,
Geoff
Old 14-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #34
Nwsparky

Cheers Geoff, sounds fantastic. I've just tried the bribary card, ive spent the weekend tree pruning and offered her some new running shoes, it went down well!
I've stressed that what I want is basically a slow learners bike popular with women and something of an investment, she seemed to accept that. I think I will go for a 600 in need of cosmetic tlc it will break me back in gently and give me some grounding tinkering wise over winter, ill start looking for some good cheap leathers and boots too........
Old 14-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #35
Fatal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwsparky View Post
Cheers Geoff, sounds fantastic. I've just tried the bribary card, ive spent the weekend tree pruning and offered her some new running shoes, it went down well!
I've stressed that what I want is basically a slow learners bike popular with women and something of an investment, she seemed to accept that. I think I will go for a 600 in need of cosmetic tlc it will break me back in gently and give me some grounding tinkering wise over winter, ill start looking for some good cheap leathers and boots too........
The running shoes is a good idea, if she runs 10 miles a day, then next week she'l be to far away, to know you've bought the bike of your dreams

Alan H
Old 14-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #36
Nwsparky

Old 16-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #37
Nwsparky

We're there many advances in the 600 to the 620 from 99-2004/5?
Is the rev counter and extra brake disc worth another £1000?....
Is the 620 any quicker?....
Old 16-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #38
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
The other thing is that monsters, with their torquey power characteristics and relatively gentle top end don't exactly encourage irresponsible riding ...and furthermore, while the 750 does have enough power to do most jobs well, it doesn't have the crazy excess of most other biggish bikes. And being a naked, you're not going to be wanting to go that quick on fast roads anyway....
In the nicest possible way, I couldn't disagree more.

I have not come across a bike that more encourages a "ride it like you stole it" attitude than the Monster and, possibly, the smaller capacity ones are more guilty than the bigger ones. Not tried a 600, but have taken both the 620 and 750 round the best twisties that my part of the country has to offer, and they just love to be caned and thrown around corners. (And jumped over hump-backed bridges, ahem.)

Therefore, they're just as capable of getting you into trouble as anything else. Anything with a decent chassis and at least 50 bhp falls into that category.

However, I suspect what Utopia was really getting at, is that you'll get a rewarding riding experience at more sensible speeds that you just wouldn't get from, say, a 600cc inline 4. If that kind of experience is what you are after, then any sized Monster is a great choice. Just don't get a small one on the pretence that it'll make you more sensible than a larger engined one would - you'll just end up thrashing the smaller one more.

Nwsparky, again in the nicest possible way... you sound like you want a bike with every fibre of your being. So, if you have the pecuniary means and you are not making your family go short as a result, then my advice is to end all this fannying around, buttering up the wife, etc. and just get the bike you really want, and ride it as much as your heart desires. Your life is ending one second at a time. If you wish to placate the wife, then promise her you will get some advanced training and wear sensible clothing.

That should be enough, frankly.

Good luck.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #39
Nwsparky

Your absoloutely right Bob time to put up or shut up, got a 620 to view this week...
Old 16-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #40
Dirty

600's have carbs, 620's are injected
Old 19-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #41
Nwsparky

Well money put where mouth is today! Put a deposit on a gorgeous 620i.e 6kmiles, just serviced, full history and all keys...carbon bits, sil moto exhausts and immaculate!
Missed out on an tatty 600 by £20 yesterday on eBay, I'm so glad I did now!
Pics when I get it home , next week sometime...can't wait!
I wonder what the wife will say....
Old 19-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
Nwsparky

Well money put where mouth is today! Put a deposit on a gorgeous 620i.e 6kmiles, just serviced, full history and all keys...carbon bits, sil moto exhausts and immaculate!
Missed out on an tatty 600 by £20 yesterday on eBay, I'm so glad I did now!
Pics when I get it home , next week sometime...can't wait!
I wonder what the wife will say....
Old 19-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #43
Fatal

Nice one, looking forward to the photo's

Alan H
Old 19-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #44
Dirty

Excellent! Yes pics please
Old 20-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #45
Nwsparky

I notice some yellow avatars, it is also yellow, the first I've seen advertised, he's sending some pics up today, wife was actually pretty cool, as someone said 'forgiveness far easier to obtain than permission'....