UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello and 600/750?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #16
JuZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwsparky View Post
Can I have yours Juz? That's lovely!
Thanks, but no
Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
tricky73

yeah either 2 and a ramp or 3 and a lump of wood to go through the wheels me and mate used the wood technique on a Yamaha Royal star which was bloody heavy so the monster should easy in comparison
Old 10-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
Nwsparky

Angry

I was thinking 2 with wood through the wheels, had a row with the mrs about it today though. I think she actually thought I was joking, I said I was going to view with intention to buy and she flipped! I had a bad off 23 years ago when I was very young and foolish and she's convinced it will happen again! I've been to the bolldor on a bike since then albeit before we had kids but I know how careful I'd be and how limited my usage would be....
Gona be a nice atmosphere in our house tonight...
Old 10-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
Dirty

Forgiveness is always easier to get than permission
Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
Nwsparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Forgiveness is always easier to get than permission
They are wise words, the bike I was looking at has now gone! These bikes go in a flash!
I think I'll try the sulky routine for a bit, hopefully she'll give in as a 750 pops up somewhere..?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #21
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Dirty ...I like your style.

One thing about having had a bad off in the past, is that it rams home the importance of defensive roadcraft and anticipation. But I daresay you've already pointed that out.
The other thing is that monsters, with their torquey power characteristics and relatively gentle top end don't exactly encourage irresponsible riding ...and furthermore, while the 750 does have enough power to do most jobs well, it doesn't have the crazy excess of most other biggish bikes. And being a naked, you're not going to be wanting to go that quick on fast roads anyway.

Is any of that likely to help ?
You can quote me if you like.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #22
Nwsparky

Utopia, I hear you!
I've been through this with her, my eldest was always dead against so I haven't bothered but it must be cool to have a biker dad now because she really wants me to get one! I'm an electrician that works in dangerous places everyday! I could ski, scooba dive, play rugby, rock climb etc....as you say being a biker having tasted hospital food does make you careful. She sees the hooners fly past our house at ridiculous speeds and thinks all bikers are the same I think! She actually said get a scooter they're safer! 80mph with less weight, grip or power/braking force isn't any safer atall, they just look less likely to let you get carried away!
My Megablade was about 18inches of the floor so was very hard to see coming but I survived that which was ridiculously quick and nimble.....
It doesn't help most if not all our friends neighbours I've mentioned it too have also tried to discourage me, I'm just going to have to put a proper argument together or use Dirty's system. Life's too short to put things off...
I need to be quick while the suns out!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
tricky73

Just do what i did I brought my first big bike and took it home and said do you like my Toy she said no we had an argument job done she got over it. too late when its brought and paid for. not like i would cause a divorce they know where there bread is buttered
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
Nwsparky

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky73 View Post
Just do what i did I brought my first big bike and took it home and said do you like my Toy she said no we had an argument job done she got over it. too late when its brought and paid for. not like i would cause a divorce they know where there bread is buttered
I like your style, I've done it with cars, she never actually new what I paid for my Westy! Just rather have her blessing for some reason, I've not timed it well it's that women only psychotic time of the month in our house this week, silly me! A couple have popped up today, one went in hours but there's 2 others I'd buy now and just get delivered, I could keep one at my m8s garage she'd never know but I can't be bothered with sneakin about....
Ill just have a grown up chat with her when she gets back to normal....
Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
Dirty

Reminds me of a mate who had various nice motors, M3, Porsches, Range Rover etc and always underplayed how much they cost. He went ballistic one day when he found out his wife had spent nearly £1500 on a handbag. During the blazing row it came out she'd always known roughly what the motors had cost and over the years had spent roughly the difference on shoes and handbags.

They laugh about it now. 3 young kids later they drive a Ford people wagon and wear sensible shoes. That said he told me the other day he'd nearly fainted when he found out she'd spent £600 on a set of 3 saucepans. This was during the same conversation where he was telling me about his plans to buy a powered paraglider on the sly! Plus ca change!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
Fatal

Nwsparky, just been through the same scenario with my misses, Like you I had a accident around 7 years ago, leaving me with floppy wrists, like a pratt promised never to have another bike. (regretted saying it the next day)
Last month the urge for another bike just got to strong and I broached the subject, She went ballistic, left it a week, she only just hit the roof, left it another week and she wasn't happy but asked the Daughter what she thought, little angel said she didn't want me to have one (could of killed her)
After another week of me dragging my bottom lip on the floor She out of nowhere just said, if you want a bike get one.
Within 24 hours and 400miles of travel looking at Monsters, the deal was done, before she could change her mind
Bought a S2R 800, love it to bits

Alan H
Old 11-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
Nwsparky

I think your right Fatal, a wearing down process is required, I'm already fed up with my own sulking
I was going to mention it again when she just got in but the look on her face was enough to know it wasn't a good time! She was ranting about being skint and payday being a long way off and the car needs fuel blah, blah...she snapped at me, I snapped back, no chance......
She just went out with the kids saying she had no money for fuel so I threw her £40, she lit up and kissed me
Perseverance and bribery will win her over, she's just a women....
Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #28
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwsparky View Post
..... I'm already fed up with my own sulking
Had to chuckle at that myself.

On the money front, I reckon that if you buy a aircooled 2-valver for under £2k, its never going to depreciate much and may even start to accumulate before long.
I paid £2600 for my yr2000 M750 about 6yrs ago. I doubt if its depreciated by £1k in that time, and its value has been stable now for a couple of years.
So its like money in the bank and a free bike to ride.
Servicing is an easy diy job for most operations, despite what myth would have you believe.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #29
Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Dirty ...I like your style.

One thing about having had a bad off in the past, is that it rams home the importance of defensive roadcraft and anticipation. But I daresay you've already pointed that out.
The other thing is that monsters, with their torquey power characteristics and relatively gentle top end don't exactly encourage irresponsible riding ...and furthermore, while the 750 does have enough power to do most jobs well, it doesn't have the crazy excess of most other biggish bikes. And being a naked, you're not going to be wanting to go that quick on fast roads anyway.

Is any of that likely to help ?
You can quote me if you like.
Very wise words from Utopia there. I ride a ZX6-R as well and the smooth, zingy motor always begs to be revved. 4-6k on a 2V Monster is a great place to be, torquey, and you can hear the engine going, you know you have a bit more, but only if you feed it. On a IL4 you're just getting going, suddenly you're at 10k looking for the next 6 thousand revs.

The lack of fairing is also a big one. The wind makes you feel like you're going faster and it's also a bit tiring at silly speeds. Aim for a 600 and you'll never really hit epic speeds. I cruised along the other day around 70-ish quite comfortably. On my Ninja, this was considerably more just because the fairing re-directed the wind over me.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #30
Nwsparky

I've ridden a m8s ZX6-R a while back and it was as you say very eager to have you suck the Tarmac up at naughty speeds!
Things have calmed down in the house and were talking nicely again so I'm going to bring up the subject again shortly, I am going to carefully explain my choice of bike and indeed if its a 6 then many are even described as beginners bikes, she is probably imagining im going to arrive home on an R6 and go off thrashing to wales every weekend, she knows I can ride, she knows ill only get chance to use it sparingly and she knows I don't give up, she just needs to understand why I want to get back in the saddle and know ill do it sensibly.....
Till I upgrade