UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New Il Mostro 900 owner, and she's a beaut!

Old 19-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Edcase

Thumbs up New Il Mostro 900 owner, and she's a beaut!

Well, it's been almost a year to the day since I passed my CBT and bought a Vespa 125 for commuting to work and back in London.

Initially it was all about convenience, however I soon grew to just enjoy being on the bike. I never planned to get a 'proper' bike, I've always been a car person.

Then I got fed up of struggling to get away at the lights, and wanted that little bit more power. I planned to get a 250 vespa, but decided to do a full license as I knew the test was getting harder next year.

2 days on geared bikes, I passed with 2 minors, and fell in love with the feeling and freedom on a 'proper' bike (albeit a 500 Suzuki GS!)

I began looking at a 748 Ducati, which I've always loved, hated the riding position, nearly bough a NC30 VFR400, but then a move slightly further out of London meant the need () for a better commuter bike, and after a hot tip off from a friend on a car forum my heart and head found the Ducati Monster 900.

But not just any Monster 900.

This one is a 93 plate, yet has only covered 3500 miles, having been dry stored by a female owner for over 11 years!

I picked her up today, and she is utterly mint, starts in a hearbeat and runs like a dream. Since being back on the road its had all fluids, belts, battery etc. done, the tyres seem okay, I'll commute on em for a while then change them as they are bound to have hardened.

I was worried getting on it having not ridden since passing my test, but it was super light, low seat, great riding position for my build, and remarkably easy to ride (except the obscene turning circle!). I was expecting, well, a monster!

On the open road, the 90degree twin took some getting used to, but I found it worked keeping a slightly open throttle at all times where possible, but when you get a chance to open her up, it rearranged my definition of quick, and I drive an M5!

Despite riding 60 miles back to London, I didnt dare open it right to the stops in anything below third for fear my hands were going to come off the bars! (I only weight about 9.5 stone ) Bear in mind this is my first proper bike and my first above 500cc. And the sound!!!

Anyway, as you can tell I am smitten, and its hard to fathom looking at her that its a 15 year old design!!

Anyway, judge for yourself.

Look forward to hopefully meeting some of you around soon!
Old 19-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Hi, that is REALLY nice - congrats on the bike and on getting signed up. I'm in SW London and there's a bunch of long-term members here that meet up at Box Hill Weds evenings if you fancy a chat.

Enjoy!
Old 19-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
giler

Welcome, that looks a real find!
Old 19-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Diego

very nice. Congrats! she's a beauty!
Old 19-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Spike

When did the bike last have it's belts changed? If she's been standing for a while you'd best get some new ones fitted ASAP.
Nice looking bike.
Old 19-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
Chappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcase View Post
...after a hot tip off from a friend on a car forum my heart and head found the Ducati Monster 900.
Was it me?

Only a few weeks ago I was trying my best to convince somebody on VAG to purchase a Monster and not a Suzuki I think and I think he was starting to sway towards the Monster a tad
Old 19-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Edcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
Hi, that is REALLY nice - congrats on the bike and on getting signed up. I'm in SW London and there's a bunch of long-term members here that meet up at Box Hill Weds evenings if you fancy a chat.

Enjoy!
I know box hill well, I ride my other (non-engined!) bike at Dorking regularly.

Do you meet every week?
Old 19-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
squiffything

Ah Preaching to the converted.......

You have made a wise choice and you will find enlightenment in all things monsterish and dark. Welcome to the forum and long may your feelings of monster heaven last
Old 19-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Edcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
When did the bike last have it's belts changed? If she's been standing for a while you'd best get some new ones fitted ASAP.
Nice looking bike.
yeah, just done, along with all the fluids, filters etc.
Old 19-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #10
Edcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
Was it me?

Only a few weeks ago I was trying my best to convince somebody on VAG to purchase a Monster and not a Suzuki I think and I think he was starting to sway towards the Monster a tad
Nah it was a guy I know personally on Scoobynet, I was originally looking at an NC30
Old 19-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Chappers

Quote:
Nah it was a guy I know personally on Scoobynet, I was originally looking at an NC30
Damn - I still have work to do on VAG then

I used to be on Scoobynet a few years back, nice bunch on there and some funny characters
Old 19-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
I know box hill well, I ride my other (non-engined!) bike at Dorking regularly.

Do you meet every week?
There's a bunch of guys who go there every Weds at about 7pm. I've been, er, twice, and last night it was just me and old Kato, who spent the entire evening telling me that I should ditch all my plumbing and go retro because it looks better. THEN he had the nerve to say that the forklift thing holding his rear wheel in looked better than my beautiful single-sider. Blurry cheek.

Re other bike, MTB or skinny? I do skinny with the guys from Sigma.
Old 19-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
Gadget
wtf...

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Thumbs up

Hi, welcome.

She really does look sweet.

Another London monsterer.

Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Glad to hear you're so smitten already smitten

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
giler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Glad to hear you're so smitten already smitten
Bit early to have been on the beer!