UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Shark silencers

Old 15-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
larsen

Bike: M750
Shark silencers

I've recently bought a pair of what I believe are Shark silencers marked Monster 900, they have a mounting plate which attaches at the standard silencer carrier point and the silencer strap at the other end, all good, but in the middle is a smaller hole and bolt that lines up with the passenger peg upper casting. Am I correct in thinking that I am supposed to drill an appropriate hole in this casting, or am I missing something? Thanks. P.S. are these silencers any good?
Old 15-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
I think we might need a photo to see exactly what you mean.

My Ferracci cans mount exactly as per the originals as in they slip onto the header pipes and then are secured to the footrest brackets using the original bolts and bushes.
Old 15-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I’ve never come across any cans that required the footrest hangers drilling, poor fit yes but drilling no. Upload a photo to a pic. hosting site and post a link so we can see what you mean.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
larsen

The carbon cans are mine, the other two photos are from the web.
Old 25-08-2019, 12:52 AM   #5
larsen

Well rather than leave this thread dead I thought I'd reply to my own post. Holes drilled no issues, seems solid enough.
Old 25-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Looking at where the silencers end on the black bike in your photos from the web and where they do on your bike it looks as though perhaps yours are not pushed fully home on the front pipes resulting in you having to drill the footrest hangers the way you have.

It's a fairly messy set up with the 'return' brackets fitted to the exhaust straps around the cans themselves.

Are they quite short cans?
As again, on the black bike the cans look in an odd place in relation to how they sit under the carbon heel guards.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
larsen

If I'd taken a bit more care with the photography my silencers are more or less exactly the same position as on the black bike, i.e. the front of the silencer a gnats forward of the original hanger position on the footrest brackets. No leaks etc. It is very Heath Robinson and the only reason I can think of is that it's to get the strap as central as possible to support what is a surprisingly heavy silencer. Well they are Italian design after all. As regards the heel guards, I have a pair and they look plain silly with this pipe!
Old 25-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
larsen

P.S. ...and anyway at £125 delivered I'm not complaining!