UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » What was your first bike?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
sneakyt

Thumbs up What was your first bike?

Thank you for checking out this thread!

Cards on the table - I have my heart set on a Monster, didn’t really want more than 600cc due to my inexperience, that’s it!... I know nothing more at this stage. I was really hoping for some advice either for or against it but please be constructive.

I have my DAS and test booked for mid august… I have little experience of riding on the UK roads, but around 6 months of day to day riding on a 400 Fireblade in Asia.

I appreciate I am new but it this an unrealistic idea given it will be my first real bike?

This would have been perfect - http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/classifie...php?product=90

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
benson

You have to get a monster because to do otherwise would be rude - especially because you are already sporting such wonderful footwear and you live in Londinium!!!

Where in Asia were you just out of interest???

Meanwhile GO AND BUY A MONSTER NOW - there are some amazing deals on 695s because of the 696 launch and it's doing very well - saying that a second hand bike isn't ever that far away - keep your eyes peeled on this forum and who knows what you might be riding in a few weeks time!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Bigger the better....

.....as long as you can man handle the bike physically. IMHO the throttle goes both ways, so if you can control yourself and you have the money as insurance may be an issue, I'd go for the best bike you can and ignore the cc's. As an inexperienced rider, you can do just as much damage to the bike and yourself with any of the 600's these days. You can learn by self control, by setting yourself a target of 10,000miles (self control remember) before using full power. Alternatively, if you can't control yourself, you could get a restrictor kit fitted for yourself - might help with insurance but doubt it - and remove it when you are happy your experience can cope with the additional power. This restriction works for 17yr olds who are limited to 33bhp for 2 years (ask my son Richard Nambduke....he went from a 27bhp Honda Superdream to a Honda VFR800 as his first proper powerful bike at 19yr old)

There's more to choose from on the market if you consider this route.....

Regards,
Mark 'First bike Honda 400/4 back in 1976' Nambduke

PS....Self control....pppfffaaahhhhh.....I did manage 3 days before I crashed my 400/4 into a hedge and lost my trainer! But that's another story

Last edited by nambduke; 02-07-2008 at 08:22 PM..
nambduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Snips

Welcome sneakyt!

I had a 620 as my first proper bike (after a gap of 23 years, the prior experience being a moped as a 16 year old).

I was wary that it was unrealistic to jump on a 620, but I took it cautiously and it worked out great. Give yourself time and space to practice getting used to controlling the bike, and the power, and you should be OK.

You could go for more power, though I wouldn't recommend a superbike as a starting point.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Hello from Norfolkium!

My 620 was my first bike! I suggest you stop mucking about on forums and go and buy one, rightaway!

Those really are fantastic boots. Can you get them armoured by any chance so you can keep them for biking?

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
I wouldn't recommend a superbike as a starting point.
Good point but I always think that with the advancement in brakes, tyres and suspension, most reasonable riders will grow into any bike if you treat it with respect.

Many years ago, the best was around 80-100hp but very heavy so you had to man handle them everywhere. Modern stuff is simply a breeze in comparion to the stuff from the 70s and 80s. Crikey, if you ever rode on early Bridgestones, one Stoner wouldn't win a moped race, and secondly. it was instant death because the chances were you WERE going to have a slide as a minimum! Brakes...rain.....throw out the anchor cos they wouldn't stop you.....nice smooth stainless steel with crap pads......

Either way you look at it IMO it's down to the attitude of the rider. When I used to train and examine riders, I could tell you within 5minutes if a new rider was going to come back the following week with a wrecked/crashed bike.

As you can see I'm a rebel without a cause....there's no restriction on cars, so why do we bikers need to limit ourselves. Go big and live a little! Ah, yes and have some self control........you'll need it

Regards,
Mark Nambduke
Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Lucati

Welcome too!

I rode scooters ranging in cc's from 50 - 200 over 10 years and then 14 months ago bought my 695 as my first big bike and it is superb. It's more than quick enough for me but I knew I wanted one all along and the only other bikes I've ridden are the ones I did my training on. Go for it!
Mines going for a very reasonable price with a years warranty left on it if you feel tempted!

Cheers!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
tasminracer

Bike: M695
My first bike was ( and still is !!!) an M695 :-) been a month and 650 miles so far..

still learning loads and no problems doing it on the 695..

I actually bought the bike before I took my test !!!! It was a killer having to leave it in the shop untill I took the test

G

p.s. good excuse to buy new was that I've had to run it in properly which was an extra incentive to keep the throttle off the stops
tasminracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
gremlin

I got my first bike at 43 and it was a Honda Cm 125 custom now have tatty '95 600 Monster and loving it! It's novice friendly can go some if you've got the experience (other half got a ton out of my old girl last week) corners beautifully, and if you muck it up it will get you out of trouble. Can't praise monnies enough, other half has Fazer Thou which he rides like he stole it but always comes home home with a big grin if he takes mine out. Go for the best you can afford you won't regret it!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
neilbaldry

I had a DT50 at 16, then an RGV250 at 19, then a VFR400 at 20, then my current S2R800 at 23.

Welcome to the club, Like Nambduke said, the throttle goes both ways, so get what you want, with the money you can afford!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
Bodybag

My first big bike was a Monster S4 (916cc). As has been said, The bike will only go as fast as you make it go. I had my Monster for 18 months and did 12,000 miles on it. I didn't fall off once (although I did have a couple of scares). It's rider control that wins every time.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
sneakyt

Cool

WOW! You guys are FANTASTIC! What a response in such little time!

Benson: I fell on hard times a few months ago, the footwear saw me through the winter! I was working in Koh Samui, Fantastic Island but got a mouthful of bugs most evenings! So you think a 695? Will have a look on biketrader, any other places?

Numbduke: That looks like sound advice, I hadn't thought about imposing a limit on myself but worth a bit of research. LMAO I guess the trainer was the last thing on your mind! Interesting about knowing a riders temperament, we shall see I guess!!!

Snips: Thank you I was hoping that someone would be doing the same thing. It is difficult to say how much the urge will be to drive above my ability but I have heard stories from everyone I've told I’m getting a bike... scary stuff!

Nonnie : Norfolkium sound like self imposed chastity! I think you are totally right, I had already made my mind up, I just wanted to hear opinions contrary to my friends (car drivers) The boots are perfectly designed as liners for any armoured boot, you can get them anywhere, I got those from Waitrose!

Lucati : I would be keen for some more information, thanks!

Gemlin : Great advice, thank you!

Neilbaldry : Awesome thanks.

Bodybag : Makes perfect sense, my brother had multiple crashes on both bikes and in cars - he drives like a lunatic and has little self control. I've driven cars for 10 years without a crash although probably because I got thrown about through most of his. But as we all know bikes are different.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
Snips

Just to clarify my point about superbikes...

I believe the torque delivery of Monsters is much more linear than a bike tuned as a sportsbike. I'm told that with true sportsbikes, the power comes in one big scary hit. Great if you're experienced and expecting it, not so great if you're edging out of a junction and still getting used to bike riding.

Truth be told, I've never ridden a sportsbike myself (for those reasons), but I've got a few thousand miles under my belt on Monsters now, so will jump at the chance to try a sportsbike sometime.

I do know that I had a blat on country roads the other evening and the 696 had plenty of power to make me grin.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #14
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Sounding sensible there Sneakyt. Sounds like you've made a wise decision
Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
Gimley

My first bike was an SV650. Nothing wrong with it at all just saw the 695 and knew I had to get one.

The 695 is, in my opinion, a good first bike. Corners easily, stops well, accelerates good, is light, and has more than enough power if you want a blatt. Must admit that I havent taken it over 90 yet as the wind blast is just silly so im happy just pootling around enjoying the scenery that the South East has to offer.

G

Tags
monster, newbie, unrealistic idea