UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » high level cans and suspension hoop

Old 09-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
d.man

Question high level cans and suspension hoop

I have fitted a set of Arrows high level carbon cans on my 1994 m900. They look and sound great

I have noticed however that on the offside can, the suspension hoop is rubbing on the exhaust upright.
I have tried refitting, but always end up with the same scenario.

Any thoughts

Cheers all
Old 09-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Photo's may help reveal what is the problem?
Old 09-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Spacers possibly needed like termis do on the footrest hanger brackets Sils have provided recesses on there's
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
d.man

I cant provide pictures at the moment, as i have removed various bits.

However, when looking from behind the bike the nearside exhaust upright leans in by approx 5 degrees whereas the offside leans in by 10 degrees or so. It is clearly visible to see. Also, both uprights nearly touch the foothangers.

I was thinking spacers would be needed, but will then need longer mounting bolts - which i am struggling to find.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

That's where Termignoni excel proving spacers and longer bolts when selling the kits Doesn't always happen on second or third hand sales as to why this question is common.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
d.man

Problem solved.
After a lot of phoning around, Arrows no longer make these cans for the m900 and also there is no fitting kit. The place i got them from advised they haven't had problems before and usually Arrows are a direct replacement.
Back to square one.

I removed the cans, loosened the exhaust manifold fittings and the vertical cylinder downpipe fitting to the main exhaust system. I noticed that i could turn the vertical pipe a little which affected the angles of the side fittings (where the cans slip on).

I lined them up and fitted the Arrows; then tightened everything up. Added a couple of spacer washers on the bracket from the footpeg hangers.
Hey presto - success