UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Converting a 600 to twin Disc

Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
popelli

Converting a 600 to twin Disc

Apart from the extra caliper and disc rotor and a wheel drilled for two discs is anything else required to convert the bike to twin disc

Also the caliper I am looking for is there a brembo part number or something I can use to find one on flea bay
Old 12-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
A fork leg with caliper lugs and a master cylinder that pumps sufficient fluid to use two calipers effectively.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You'll need a fork leg with the caliper mountings if you don't have one already, 2 or 3 brake lines depending on how you want them set up, 2 full lines or 3 lines with a splitter. You may need a bigger master cylinder as sometimes they are sized for either 1 or 2 disks. Maybe the one you have will be good enough to run 2 disks, I don't know but I'm sure someone on here will have done the mod.

There used to be a DP kit to do this on the 600/750SS as I recall the wheels were already drilled for a second disk as were the forks.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Slob - snap!

Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I converted my very early dry clutch 750SS to twin discs.
I imagine it was a fairly similar animal to your 600.
Wheel and fork was ready to receive, so just a matter of getting a matching disc and calliper from a breaker or private ad. Best to get the disc bolts and calliper bolts new.

I seem to recall a story at the time, of a type of brake line to avoid, which tee's close to the mudguard and had been know to cause accidents by getting fouled on the tyre?
I think the lines I got had the tee near the bottom yoke?
Or you can use two separate lines with a longer banjo bolt in the master. .. and there again I seem to recall an issue some folk had with incorrectly drilled banjo bolts not being able to supply two banjos.

I used the standard coffin type master cylinder and reservoir that came with the single disc. The lever travel did increase, as it was moving twice as much fluid. But the braking power increased pro-rata. So I had a very powerful brake with a terrific amount of feel and feedback.

It's a very worthwhile mod... Don't forget to fit 4 new pads. (preferably organic type.)
Old 12-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
According to the Monster Bible, the 600 uses a Brembo P4 30/34 caliper. Harris still sell these:

http://www.harris-performance.com/ac...ine_Range.html

I think you'd need the 40mm one (measure the distance between the mounting bolts on your caliper to check).

The twin disc bikes use a 16mm master cylinder while yours is 13mm. But, as Mr Gazza says, you might get away with your original. Maybe try it first and see how it feels before shelling out for a replacement.

As far as brake hoses are concerned, Venhill do a three hose replacement for the M750, which should be the right length with the right banjos for your purposes.

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Hoses_&_Cab...STAINLESS.html
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
This new caliper on ebay seems a good price, even after postage and, probably, another £30ish VAT & duty (if you don't mind buying from Japan).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/brembo-Bra...cAAOSw6DtYWe-8

Or this one from Carpimoto in Italy looks a better bet at around £125 including tax and postage. (The Brembo part no. is 20516568.)

http://www.carpimoto.com/EN/Brand_Br...embo-P4-30.htm

PS it looks like the Harris price is for a pair of calipers...

Last edited by Luddite; 12-04-2017 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: info re. Harris price
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Why do you feel, the need to change from a single disk?

My old 750 had a single disk, braided hose and decent pads and it was enough to make the front tyre squeal. Another disk and all the bits that go with it equals additional unsprung weight which is never a good thing...
Old 13-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Maybe just upgrade to a much better master cylinder (Radial RCS type) would be a better option?

Old 13-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Maybe just upgrade to a much better master cylinder (Radial RCS type) would be a better option?
Or put the money towards a pair of lightweight wheels for looks and improved handling?
Old 14-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #11
popelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
Why do you feel, the need to change from a single disk?

Car slammed brakes on suddenly in front of me and I realised it was too close for comfort and brakes are not up to what is required in todays conditions

Have the same problem with one of my cars 916 alfa V6 spider, brakes are 20 year old design and traffic conditions have changed in last 20 years always drive with huge 4 second gap in front of me
Old 14-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I know where you're coming from.
The extra disc was a massive improvement on my 750SS, and of course you will benefit from fresh fluid and pads at the same time.
I really liked the extra lever travel that came with the standard master and extra slave. It gave so much control over all that braking power.
The later set up with 16mm master and remote reservoir can be a bit sharp, it needs a sensitive touch... It took me a while to get used to that.

When I did the 750 I fitted EBC "Greenstuff" pads. They were fantastic, but sadly don't appear to be available for motorcycles any more. I still use EBC organic pads though.

Yeah, I'm an Alfa owner too. Saucy lady that she is, I let her get away with a lot of short comings! Try a set of Greenstuff pads and a fluid change. New discs are not outrageously priced either.
Old 14-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by popelli View Post
Apart from the extra caliper and disc rotor and a wheel drilled for two discs is anything else required to convert the bike to twin disc

Also the caliper I am looking for is there a brembo part number or something I can use to find one on flea bay
I did a twin disc set up on my M600. I was lucky enough to have the calliper mount on both fork legs.

I opted for a second hand set of 916 brake discs (cast iron fully floating), calipers and master cylinder to suit. I then changed the clutch master cylinder so it matched.

It was transformed from okay stopping to groin crushing (found that out when I tested them).

That was over 15 years ago and they are still going strong, I have changed the pads but that is it.

As for the wheel if you take the plastic blanking plate off you should find all the holes necessary for mounting another disc with out sourcing another wheel.

Yorkie
Old 14-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
Dukedesmo

Other than cost, I never understood why a 600 got a single disc yet a 900 got twin discs?

OK the 900 is faster but likely to be ridden at the same speeds on the road and stopping from 60mph is the same on both - how much heavier is a 900 than a 600? (not much I'd guess).

I'd definitely add a disc if it were possible and AFAIK the forks and wheel should have the mounting points so you only need a disc, caliper, new lines and a bigger master cylinder.

Given that most Ducatis of the same vintage used the same, or compatible parts they should be readily available at a reasonable price.

Plus it looks better, more balanced IMO.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
- how much heavier is a 900 than a 600? (not much I'd guess).
10kgs according to internet. 2 to 3 of them would be the extra disc and associated bits of course.

I've got twins on mine. Looks much better and stops on command.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote