UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Saying Hello, also wanting a Monster

Old 28-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Davidg1230

Saying Hello, also wanting a Monster

First post, I've been reading on here for a while but thought I'd finally introduce myself and search for a little advice?

Currently living in SW London (Battersea) and finally after getting my full licence earlier this year I'm in the market for getting a Monster. I've loved the marque for many years and vowed I'd be an owner one day. I'm about to turn 43 and its taken me 25 years to get around to be in the position to get my licence and buy a decent motorbike. I've been riding scooters for the past 4 years as I've been commuting from Battersea to East London (Stratford Olympic Park) for the past 2 years and really need something that I can enjoy whilst riding about 22 miles a day.

I test rode a 696 and a Triumph Street Triple R last weekend and even though the Triumph was bigger,faster etc. the 696 stole my heart. It lived up to everything I thought it would be and is firmly on the top of my shopping list. However, we have just sold our house in Battersea and I can't justify spend £6k on a new one, so it's down to around £2k to £2.5K for an older one, either 620 or 695, around 05/06 if I can. If I had a my first choice, an S2R in red/White would be ideal, but my budget probably won't allow that.

Anyway, my question is, should I really hang out for a newer 695 or would a clean 620 do the job aswell?
Old 28-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Bike: M1100
Hi David and welcome to the club.

my first ducati was a M600 and it got me hooked, a great fun bike to start on. The 620/695would both be fine, not sure what you would get for your money, keep an eye out on here as bikes come up all the time.

Hope to see you out and about soon

Cheers

alan
alan c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
desmo

Hi.
Welcome to a very friendly club.
Your right when you say your budget won't stretch to an S2R, but Char has a very nice M750 for sale in your price range.
Old 28-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
benson

Welcome to a wonderful club and good luck with the purchase. I have an m900ie and and m750 and I love them both - ask as many questions as you can think of and enjoy :-) the m750 is a wonderful bike and would suit your commute down to the ground...
Old 30-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Davidg1230

Thanks for the kind responses, warm welcome and advice. This process is totally doing my nut in too, I'm trying to flog my old X-Max scooter before I can put any money down for a Monster.

I'm off to Auot Italia later this morning at Brooklands and know my appetite will be increased further when I see even more Monster bikes there

I'm also wondering if getting a mint older bike, say a 2003 model would be okay for some commuting? I guess if it'd been well looked after and properly serviced, it shouldn't be a problem?
Old 30-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Many on here use monsters for commuting. If it's well looked after, you should have no problems. The Italian reliability is a bit of a myth in my experience as most Ducs are soooo well pampered.

If you get a minter, you may not WANT to commute on it for fear of ruining it.
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Davidg1230

I agree, if it's a really good bike and I'll want to keep it that way. I will certainly use public transport and push bike for when the weather is poor or it's not right to take the bike.
Old 30-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
a 900 would be a good purchase see the link
Old 30-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
rac3r

Welcome! and follow that link! ^^^^
Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
jonnie comet

I have a 2005 800S2r Monster....13,000 miles....just MOTed, taxed and well maintained (recent chain and sprockets plus brake pads) Red and white, with white wheels.....Really really nice condition.....I spent a long time looking for a good one. Extras include a colour matched belly pan and crash bungs plus a single sided swinging arm paddock/service stand (essential) with a wired in socket for an 'Optimate' Runs perfectly and everything works as it should.

Not too far out of your budget....£2,700 firm and I would go half's (money) on a courier/delivery firm to pick it up, or train/fuel to collect......Just trying to be fair.

Have a look at a few, and if nothing turns up locally then drop me an email address and I will supply a few pics'.....No great rush....Not screaming desperate to sell.

Good luck and best wishes with whatever you decide to do......
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Davidg1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie comet View Post
I have a 2005 800S2r Monster....13,000 miles....just MOTed, taxed and well maintained (recent chain and sprockets plus brake pads) Red and white, with white wheels.....Really really nice condition.....I spent a long time looking for a good one. Extras include a colour matched belly pan and crash bungs plus a single sided swinging arm paddock/service stand (essential) with a wired in socket for an 'Optimate' Runs perfectly and everything works as it should.

Not too far out of your budget....£2,700 firm and I would go half's (money) on a courier/delivery firm to pick it up, or train/fuel to collect......Just trying to be fair.

Have a look at a few, and if nothing turns up locally then drop me an email address and I will supply a few pics'.....No great rush....Not screaming desperate to sell.

Good luck and best wishes with whatever you decide to do......
PM message sent
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
jonnie comet

.....PM Replied.....
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
macshot

So, David
When we gonna ride? Im from Wimbledon so not so far.
Let us know please
Old 05-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
benson

So - any purchase made yet? My m900ie is 9 years old and I've commuted all over the place on it over the years - within the M25 and a couple of years ago daily to northampton. Its now reserved for fine days and over the winter I intend to pamper the engine cases and make them look like new (well not me but someone else!). The m750 is an absolute peach for my now 15 miles each way commute when the weather is nice - it's pretty much a mont bike so for rainy days the Triumph has to earn its keep!

Happy hunting and better still - happy monstering
Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Steve748

OP, Have you got yourself sorted with a Monster yet?