UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hey All!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
rac3r

Hey All!

I'm new here and I'm a fellow BCF member if anyone knows it. I'm in London and I've riding about a year on a CBR125 and I've got my A2 this Friday

I've been looking at bikes to get if I pass, Hornets, SV's also looked at a ZX6R J1 but insurance was over 1k TPO. Now i'm considering a Monster, I'm looking to spend 2.5-3k for the bike so I was wondering what kind of Monster I could get in this range? I'd love an S4/S2 but i'm not sure if they fall into my price range. Also where is a good place to look for them as there aren't many on auto trader.

Thanks for the Help
Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
jimbo696

Welcome.
For insurance purposes you may be better looking at a 695... There is an almost brand new one (150 miles) in Ducati Ashford for 4k I think..
Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
rac3r

Nice but 4k is a bit £££. For me TPO on an M600 and S4 is very little difference. M600 is £800 and the S4 £900. These are just online quotes from Bikeinsurer.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
You'll be able to get a 620ie or an 800 for that money easily I would imagine.
All depends on the condition you want it in. Check out ebay and MCN which both seem very popular.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
have to say, for a first big bike, go aircooled. The watercooled models require a higher standard of care and if things go wrong, ££££s can get daunting.

Also, 2nd hand spares are more readily available on 2v given the numbers produced for any model.

In London, they go fast enough - the sales guy at Metropolis used to tool around on a 620 a couple of years ago and I could barely keep him in sight. Gadget here (is a nutter, but that's beside the point), goes silly fast on his 600 on the track.

I use my s4rs in town occasionally and there's not much point - my supermoto is nearly as quick to 60.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
J.P
No more Monster...

And don't forget those bigger engined bikes are just a load to insure too unless you've got a nice garage to lock it in.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
rac3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
have to say, for a first big bike, go aircooled. The watercooled models require a higher standard of care and if things go wrong, ££££s can get daunting.

Also, 2nd hand spares are more readily available on 2v given the numbers produced for any model.

In London, they go fast enough - the sales guy at Metropolis used to tool around on a 620 a couple of years ago and I could barely keep him in sight. Gadget here (is a nutter, but that's beside the point), goes silly fast on his 600 on the track.

I use my s4rs in town occasionally and there's not much point - my supermoto is nearly as quick to 60.
Thanks for the replies!

Sorry if I sound stupid but taking air cooled and 2v into consideration which model specifically should I be looking for as in Year, Model, etc. Luckily enough it will be garaged pretty much every night
Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
geeman

The 750 is a great starter bike (well thats what I started on anyway) a bit more umph than the 600 but still easy to manage. Although if you can find one (cause i very rarely see them for sale) go for the 800ie.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
johnsy

Hi, i'd be looking at a 600 air cooled, i've a 900 (but at 40, insurance is free) great giggles great sound and as previously posted in a city all bikes are equal, mines a year 2000, but you can go back further to meet your budget, 2.5k should pick up a clean 600 example, few weeks back a lady was asking simular questions, someone here will remember her name, read her links and the help/advice offered.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
johnsy

Check this link out, lots of advice here http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=31335
Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
singletrack

You will definitely be able to get a very nice M620 for less than £2500, leaving you enough money to put some nice exhausts on it. (I've just bought (fingers crossed) a 2004 620ie with less than 3500 miles for that price)

Alternatively, look for a good 750 or 800.

Look on autotrader and ebay (locally so you can go to see the bike before you bid) or keep your eye out here in case anyone decides to sell. Nonnie was umming and ahing about selling her bike - it's a peach. Something like that would be ideal if she does decide to sell.
Or something similar to this one that Nev sold last week - (I would have bought it but couldn't get to see it in time)

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=31449

Good luck with your test x
Old 10-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
rac3r

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'll probably be on the lookout for a 620, there's a few on MCN but first comes my test on Friday
Old 10-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
jimbo696

Good luck on Friday...
Old 13-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
rac3r

I passed woo hoo! one minor for hesitation
Old 13-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
J.P
No more Monster...

That's a brilliant pass. Well done you.