UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » S4 running pig-rich

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
S4 running pig-rich

S4 runs pig-rich around town/short runs - like fuel warning comes on intermittently at 65 miles, goes solid around 70 miles and then takes 10.5 or 11 litres to the "correct" fuel level again. So not a bogus warning like I first thought.. It gets somewhat better mileage on longer runs (did 80 miles yesterday with no warning light yet). Still pretty bad...

Yeh, lifted the tank, cleaned everything up (which seemed to be oil mist or over-generous use of some lubricant spray or other) - no tell-tales from leaks that I can see. Was thinking it was a mobile bomb for a while...

Other clues are:
  • inside of termis dark - no heavy soot deposits, but yeh, black.
  • eight strokes on low throttle openings/overrun
  • sometimes/often "sneezes" back through throttle bodies on re-opening throttle from idle/low throttle openings

My usual strategy for cold starts w/ the manual throttle lever is
  • full on for start, let it fast-idle for 30 seconds or so
  • move to half-way, ride off
  • after 2-3 minutes, knock it all the way off

If I overlook the last step, it just dies when I stop at a roundabout or red light. Which seems weird, as my EFI 2 valvers would have a fast idle - I suspect the lever may do something different/more complicated on the S4? On the 900s it seems to behave purely as a manual throttle...

Bike used to sport a Power Commander, according to a 12 year old email from a PO. If it has one now, damned if I can find it... There's also a couple of unused holes in the tray under the seat; I assumed it was removed.

Plan was to get it to Moto Rapido to check/re-map after I changed the airbox lid to a DP one. I still intend to do this - but I'm really no longer worried about it running lean...

I'm now wondering if perhaps a sensor is going dodgy - eg temperature? - and fooling the EFI into thinking the motor is colder than it is.

Thoughts? Does this suggest anything? I hate to just take it to MR like some doofus...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote