UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Keihin FCR or Mikuni TDMR

Old 16-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #16
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
Never knew they were available for Ducati's only ever heard of LC's running them
I used them on HD sporters with spectacular results ,, just fitted on to my mates old 1340 shovelhead

I reckon a pair of 38mm lectrons would work really well on a ducati , inlet mahifold runners would be the only mod and air filters ,maybe a support bracket

they are also used on a lot of jetskis and snow mobiles
Old 17-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #17
jerry
Old Git

all tuning on lectrons is done with needle you just move it another mounting issue on ducati would e the choke lever , each carb has one and a mechanism/ lever to link them and be reachable from side of bike would be needed .
Old 18-03-2018, 02:29 AM   #18
BURN

Bike: M900
Can"t comment on the Mikunis but my old girl has 39mm FCRs-1997/8 M900.Arrow cans and seperate K&N stylee filters.Who ever set them up in Japan knew what they where doing-no flat spots or glitches anywhere even when stuck in traffic and and the motor so hot you can"t get near it she just sits there rock steady tick over and smooth all the way to the red line.OK so no chokes but three pumps on the twist grip and let her warm up(takes a little longer at 0/-1 or 2 degrees) and shes off.Quick action throttle is a must have.This set up was on the bike when I bought it so have no idea how it compares with the stock set up but so far have found no reason to fault it.
BURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I got mine from Power Barn http://power-barn.com/brands/Keihin.html but it was some years ago when they cost less and the exchange rate was significantly better than now.
Yes the price sounds much better from them at approx. £925 but then there is 20% VAT and import duty (unknown) to pay on top.
Old 19-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #20
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
all tuning on lectrons is done with needle you just move it another mounting issue on ducati would e the choke lever , each carb has one and a mechanism/ lever to link them and be reachable from side of bike would be needed .
Thanks for the input but I'll stick with a purpose made kit as I need the install to be as straight forward as possible.
Old 19-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #21
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURN View Post
Can"t comment on the Mikunis but my old girl has 39mm FCRs-1997/8 M900.Arrow cans and seperate K&N stylee filters.Who ever set them up in Japan knew what they where doing-no flat spots or glitches anywhere even when stuck in traffic and and the motor so hot you can"t get near it she just sits there rock steady tick over and smooth all the way to the red line.OK so no chokes but three pumps on the twist grip and let her warm up(takes a little longer at 0/-1 or 2 degrees) and shes off.Quick action throttle is a must have.This set up was on the bike when I bought it so have no idea how it compares with the stock set up but so far have found no reason to fault it.
Thanks for your info on the 39's, but as I'll be fitting a 944 motor at some stage I want the 40/41's in preparation for this at the beginning to save (potentially) having to buy another set later on.
Old 19-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #22
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Thanks for the input but I'll stick with a purpose made kit as I need the install to be as straight forward as possible.
i agree , simple is good and FCRs are great
Old 23-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #23
Davy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURN View Post
My current 94 M900 has this setup and behaves exactly the same. brilliant bike my two m900 I had before this one were a nightmare
Old 26-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #24
Nottsbiker

Struggling to find a set in the UK that the shop / seller will respond to my enquiries about - strange when you consider its now a £1600 purchase.

Would buy from the States and pay the VAT and import duty if I could be 100% certain what I'd actually get charged. HMRC website says anything over £600 is poa

Allens Performance are the UK agents for most carb brands but have quite a bad series of reviews on various forums and they charge top dollar for their wares which is a shame when they are only 15 miles away.
Old 26-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #25
Kato
Dismantled

https://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.u...gory--488.html

Very good reliable people

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #26
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Yes the price sounds much better from them at approx. £925 but then there is 20% VAT and import duty (unknown) to pay on top.
From USA you will be charged VAT on the total (declared) value, including the shipping cost.

IIRC there's no (or very little) duty but the carrier will charge an admin/handling/ransom fee of around £15 - £20 for the privilege of handing over the VAT.

It's still a lot but way less than £1,600 - probably more like £1,200 tops...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #27
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Thanks Kato That’s an interesting site that I’ll be keeping a link to.

For the uninitiated, what’s the difference between the 39FCR and 39FCR-2?

Also the pricing doesn’t make sense.
Why would the M900 39FCR kit be £960 and the 900SS 39FCR kit be £1490?
I can’t think why they would not be the same price.

Yet for the 39FCR-2 Carbs only, they are the same price at £1300

Confused.
Old 26-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #28
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Thanks Kato That’s an interesting site that I’ll be keeping a link to.

For the uninitiated, what’s the difference between the 39FCR and 39FCR-2?

Also the pricing doesn’t make sense.
Why would the M900 39FCR kit be £960 and the 900SS 39FCR kit be £1490?
I can’t think why they would not be the same price.

Yet for the 39FCR-2 Carbs only, they are the same price at £1300

Confused.
I think the FCR-2 is carbs only whereas the FCR includes the throttle assembly, intakes, air filter etc.

As for the M900 kit costing less than the SS, I suspect it's an error AFAIK there is no real difference as the airbox etc. is virtually identical.

It gets even more expensive with the split singles as you'll need intake manifolds, different filter setup and (in my case anyway) some mods to the frame to make it all fit.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #29
Davy

I’ll be in NY next week visiting my brothers. Get them sent to one of them and I’ll bring them home and post them over to you.. just a thought
Old 26-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #30
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
As for the M900 kit costing less than the SS, I suspect it's an error AFAIK there is no real difference as the airbox etc. is virtually identical.
Strangely it was only yesterday that I ended up with an M900 airbox on my bench beside a 900SS airbox - don't ask!

They are the same mouldings with the same moulded-in part numbers, but the M900 airbox has the brackets cut off the sides of the battery tray.

On the 900SS the brackets on the side of the battery tray are used to mount it to the frame, whereas on the M900 the brackets are cut off and it's bolted through the two holes in the bottom of the battery tray.

Nasher.

Nasher.