UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » JP Diag Linux

Old 15-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
JP Diag Linux

my old windows 7 laptop died and my offshore work one is linux mint .. I wont go into it just now but i will NEVER use window 10 due to bad experiences .

I will get another laptop when i can afford it but only if it has windows 7

so can i make JP Diag work with LINUX ? or will i have to borrow another laptop
Old 15-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
my old windows 7 laptop died and my offshore work one is linux mint .. I wont go into it just now but i will NEVER use window 10 due to bad experiences .

I will get another laptop when i can afford it but only if it has windows 7

so can i make JP Diag work with LINUX ? or will i have to borrow another laptop
Ebay is your friend. There are dozens available with Win 7, and all items are returnable and covered totally if paid by paypal.
Old 15-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
jerry
Old Git

I know Jez ,, when i have some spare cash i will buy a reconditioned one with a good warranty
Old 15-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Give me a dropbox account and I'll send you every version of 7 pre activated.
Mossleymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

I am now intrigued re your windows 10 post.

I have an old laptop you can have, slow but works. You would have to get win 7 on to it as it was upgraded to 10 however win 7 licence sticker is on it.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
jerry
Old Git

saint AKA ML

my hatred of win 10 is based on rueful experience as its no longer a stand alone OS but a ''service'' its caused 2 of my personal work computer to die and lose all data , its killed my old mans photo lab system which is a massive I 7CPU 20gb Ram photo shop editor ,, he has had win 7 put on it by the manufacturer , its killed a lot of systems at work and in the offshore game its banned on many sites ,, you dont have full control , its glitchy when updated are applied it often crashes and is unstable ,,

many companies and friends i know will not upgrade to it and will maintain 7 or are switching to Linux after nasty problems with windows 10 ,,

my main laptop now has linux mint and the only programs i need windows for re slingplayer and JP diag at the moment ,, i dont need any anti virus software or malware Software either and my PC is working very fast and glitch free ,,

My Brother works for a major automotive company , he is director of engine managment systems with over 50,000 workers worldwide and he says that windows 7 is prefered software and win 10 is being phased out or limited within the corporation by the IT geeks due to so many problems and a lot of stuff is still on XP and some new stuff on linux
Old 16-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

We are running win 10 only in 3 hotels and did same in my old place with 60+ restaurants and clubs. No issues each to their own. I have win 10 since day one.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I've been using it since the early pre-release versions and usually am a few updates ahead running the development versions.
It was oroginally a bit buggy but seems stable enough now.
Most of the problems I've seen are based around poorly coded software, lots of the old hacks don't work as the did in XP and 7.
For example my 3D printer uses a USB driver that is good on XP and 7 but rubbish on 10, they need recoding as the driver just keeps falling over.
Truth be told in a way I preferred the ancient Amiga OS, easy to write drivers for almost anything on.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
so can i make JP Diag work with LINUX ?
Very likely, if the laptop has enough ummph to make it realistic.

Either install Win 7 into a VM, or virtualize an existing Win 7 machine to a VM - VMware have a utility to do this very easily; https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/...andalone/6_2_0. I worked for a client who used a proprietary VPN solution, and gave it to me on a laptop with a 12" screen to run it on - turned that into a VM and ran it on my workstation for 3 years perfectly happily...

If you don't have a vCenter hypervisor handy (e.g. a machine running ESX), then you just plug a USB disk into the Win 7 machine, run the utility and choose to save a local disk image. The result is a bootable VMDK image pre-twiddled to run under VMware.

Then choose what you'll use as a hypervisor; VMware (both VMplayer and Workstation) is very good, but KVM is free, bundled with Linux, and runs probably 80-85% of the speed. And integrates with VMM/libvirt.

You can readily convert a VMware VM to KVM; libvirt/KVM/qemu all have tools, and between them you can do pretty much anything you want. qemu-img will convert a .vmdk to a .qcow(2) or .raw disk image - which is then directly usable under a QEMU/KVM/libvirt virtualization.

If you don't do this for a living, don't like to research/read up/learn - or your time is valuable - the commercial solution - VMware - might be a better fit.

The free VMplayer solution might even work, although I forget how they finagle licenses on all that (because i bought licenses): https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/...on_player/14_0

Either way, you'll almost certainly have to re-license 'Doze as the hardware will have changed significantly (lol).. Manufacturer/OEM COAs - like Dell's - that expect to "see" certain hardware will require another license key. But you can mess with it for a while before you need to do that, and there's some licensing rearm tricks if you need more time to decide if it's workable.

Then plug the scanner cable into the USB port so the host "sees" it, run up the VM, re-direct the USB port to the VM, and run up the appropriate software.

Exactly how I re-load the many 1000's of songs onto the iPod dedicated to my Alpine digital head unit - because despite trying dozens of other approaches, nothing else but iTunes (spit, curse) will load the artwork onto the iPod's proprietary/closed database format correctly - and the head unit should display the artwork and it makes me angry when it doesn't

And, when I get around to it, this approach is exactly how I intend to read/program the MoTeC in the car to sort out the somewhat iffy warmup cycle. At least the boost tables and over 2000 RPM are pretty much spot-on...

If this reads like Swahili, you're probably better off with a cheap second-hand lappy dedicated to the task, but if you think you kind of get it and want some advice/clarification, feel free to ask.

Yeh, I used to do stuff like this in $DAYJOB, although virtualization mostly means cloud instances and docker these days...

Cheers,

Andy
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote