UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newbie ready to rumble

Old 27-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
bertieflea

Newbie ready to rumble

Hi Peeps,
Just bought a 2007 S4Rs today and was wondering what should be the order in which to do things, any surgestions very much welcome. First thing has already been done for me, it has a Termi stumpy can on it.
Thanks,
Bert.

Last edited by bertieflea; 27-12-2007 at 10:15 PM..
Old 27-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
welcome - good choice of bike too. Re mods -what's important for you? Performance, looks, practicality? The shorty looks good, but for performance, you can't beat the full termi system.

First for me in this weather would be some acf 50 all over the bike (except the brakes, obviously!)

I've got a slipper clutch on mine to stop the rear dancing into corners. Alot of people don't bother, but it's important for me.
Old 27-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
bertieflea

Cheers,
Performance definately! Will it need a steering damper do you think, are they liable to tank slap as my cagiva raptor used to also?
Old 28-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

I've dropped the yokes down the forks to speed up the steering and I haven't noticed any kind of shaking, even on the track at maximum attack. If you do get one, get a side mounted one - the top mounts look good, but they work over a much shorter length so the oil heats up more quickly and loses effectiveness.

If you want performance, you've got to get rid of the bladder and that means the shortie is probably too loud. The cat has a lot of internal baffles which means you can get away with less noise reduction in the cans, but for power, the cat has to go and that means either a cat replacement pipe or a full termi system. Full system is best because it has a bigger bore. Other pipes work well, but don't come with a revised ecu or the airbox mod. Also, the warranty is invalidated with other cans, but not with termis. Zards are cool, and Akrapovic are excellent, but REALLY expensive.

A full termi system with open airbox and a revised ecu should get you past 130 at the wheel, which for me is enough on the road. If you REALLY want power, get a PCIII and a dyno run - you should get around 140 at the wheel, but personally I'd never use it.

I would get the suspension sorted for you tho. It makes a big difference and you've bought the best, so you may as well invest a few quid and get it set up properly. Moto Rapido isn't too far from you and I'd use them for most things, but Rob at ProTwins is a Ducati nut and sorts a lot of the suspension for the racers. They're just off the M25 and it's well worth a few extra miles to get his advice and to set it up. He's done the suspension on my Rs and my 748R an he's fitting radial brakes and a race valve kit to the babyR.
Old 28-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
bertieflea

Thanks for al your advice, it's so difficult to find out info on different bikes.
Old 28-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieflea View Post
Thanks for al your advice, it's so difficult to find out info on different bikes.
there's loads of good advice here. Usually other people with S4R s would be here too, but it looks like they're all away

Put a good slipper clutch on the list too - the back end can bounce all over the place if you need to change down a few quickly.
Old 28-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
barbican

Congrats on the bike, good choice and they look great with the stubby on -even though black ones are faster!!

Agree with Jerry's comments entirely.

Being on the heavy side I have found the bars a bit waggy on poor surfaces like raised white lines, but only when accelerating hard, nothing scary but annoying. Two cicks extra compression damping has helped but I am going to get the suspension sorted for my weight before putting a damper on, then hopefully it won't need one.

Also weight related is my DP Gel seat, which for me is waaay better than the standard jobbie. A sore arse is distracting, so for me this was money well spent.

Mine has full Termi's and no PCIII, It dyno'd at 136 peak, but its the mid range where the termi's realy score. Dyno's all differ but 136 seems a bit high for a 999 motor, either way it's fast.