UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Manchester Airport short stay car parking

Old 18-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Manchester Airport short stay car parking

I am picking up my daughter from T2 on 26th September - she is currently in Australia.

Checked on the Airport website & they charge £4.50 for UP TO 30 minutes parking!!!!

What a f***ing rip-off!

Anyone got any sensible alternatives or tips to avoid such highway robbery?
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Get her to come by boat, you’ll also get an extra 23 weeks to arrange picking her up.

I made a drop off at Stanstead and found myself getting charged to exit the barrier at the end of the drop-off lane, wheels stationary for under thirty seconds & signs pretty well hidden on the way in. Suggesting to their ‘customer services’ that actually they where engaged in false imprisonment fell on deaf ears.

If you want to use air travel, the terminal has got you where they want you

EDIT: Just checked google streetview, the sign is now much more clearly visible although you've probably already committed to the roundabout exit before you read 'minimum charge £3.50, maximum stay 10 minutes'

Last edited by slob; 18-09-2019 at 06:48 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
At least at Gatwick provided your passengers know to come to the drop off point you can avoid the car park charge. Stanstead is highway robbery and unavoidable.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #4
Moco1961

Hi Paul,

Forecourt charging was brought in at Manchester about twelve months ago, it is now extremely difficult to pick up anywhere on the airport apart from the designated areas. There is a free drop,off/ collect car park where you can park for an hour free, it's a park and ride but the risk is if she is delayed in baggage reclaim and you go over the hour I think it's 25 quid
Old 19-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If she walks from the terminal to the rail station you can probably pick up there without paying.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
If she walks from the terminal to the rail station you can probably pick up there without paying.
I don’t think that works unless they’ve changed things recently:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bv4hQzprXN8stiG3A
Old 19-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Moco1961

Quote:
...sorry Darren, you can't even do that ,the area in front of the station is also barrier exit,Ie a charge.
Old 19-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I think tHey've changed it since I was last there then. But its probably not far to walk from there to a public road where you can stop without being charged.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #9
Darkness

Quote:
I think tHey've changed it since I was last there then. But its probably not far to walk from there to a public road where you can stop without being charged.
It costs even more to park on the hard shoulder of the M56, on the airport spur, or the accesses to airport parking with the prominent double yellow lines.

I suppose you could meet her at Heald Green or one of the other local stations, but it’s probably less hassle to just pay the money and meet and greet her in the airport building.
Old 19-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
At least at Gatwick provided your passengers know to come to the drop off point you can avoid the car park charge. Stanstead is highway robbery and unavoidable.
They are now ticketing drivers who pick people up at the drop off at Gatwick ,,beware ,,

also i you make several trips to gatwick in a short period they will investigate you for potential illegal taxi service ,, they tried that on me when i had family visiting from usa , austria and thailand ina 2 week period ,, BIG BROTHER STATE gone mad

Last edited by jerry; 19-09-2019 at 06:41 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The ANPR camera network is being actively used not only to spot those without tax, MOT etc, the data is collated real time to track cars so they probably 'followed' you most of the way home Jerry.
The Met and the surrounding forces spent quite a bit of money on this project. Cited reason being tracking organised crime, terrorism ... seems to have been an underwhelming success.
Even Channel 4 have been using this stuff and presumably the data from the 8000+ ANPR cameras around the UK in their hunted series!!

Oh and big brother states don't go mad they just get more intrusive without you really noticing and instill a healthy paranoia in those that actually notice what is going on.
Old 19-09-2019, 08:49 PM   #12
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Thanks for all your input on this. Depressingly, looks like there is no other option to stumping up for this.

My plan, therefore, is to wait until she has picked up her luggage & she can ring me so that I spend the minimum amount of time at the airport. Can anyone tell me the nearest place to the airport I can wait in the car without incurring a charge? I am coming in from the East - M60/M56

Thanks
Old 19-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #13
Moco1961

Avro way

Paul, go past the signed exit at J5and take the next exit,J6 signed Wilmslow and freight terminal. Go straight on at the traffic signal junction,gets you into Runger lane, first right into Avro way. You can wait there until you get the call then turn right into Runger lane again, about half a mile on your right is the entrance to T2 West. Follow Palma avenue and T2 is on your right.

Last edited by Moco1961; 20-09-2019 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Travelling from east ,doh!
Old 19-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Paul, go past the signed exit at J6 and take the next exit,J5 signed Wilmslow and freight terminal. Go straight on at the traffic signal junction,gets you into Runger lane, first right into Avro way. You can wait there until you get the call then turn right into Runger lane again, about half a mile on your right is the entrance to T2 West. Follow Palma avenue and T2 is on your right.
Thanks Mike! Just what I needed.
Old 20-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #15
Moco1961

Correction

,Paul, check out my amended post, you want off at junction six coming from the east......apologies mate.....