UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Littering

Old 12-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Littering

So I'm driving to work this morning and right in front of me this woman lobs a bottle or a can right across the road onto the grass verge! Unbelievable!

She then lights up a cigarette and smokes most of it before lobbing that out of the window as well. What's maybe worse is that she had baby toys hanging from the rear window. Mother of the year.

I absolutely HATE littering .
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
As always, the few selfish f@ckwits spoil things for others.
A shame you’ve no dash cam footage?
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Uncle Bob

Isn't it just. Makes me want to stop and pick up the litter, follew them to their next stop and chuck it back in their car, but then I'd be some kind of weird stalker criminal no doubt!

Also, dashcam footage is only useful for some kind of social media (which I'm not on) 'name and shame' as far as I understand it.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Dashcam footage is admissible in courts as legal evidence.
A few local authorities run websites that allow you to download your footage.
I believe you have to give the date and place and make a short statement describing the incident, but it is very unlikely that you will have to attend court.
This service is not run by all County authorities, but those that do, claim good prosecution rates for crimes that would otherwise, either not be reported or be very hard to prove.

Just be aware that when the boot is on the other foot, and you are having a bit of a hoon on your Monster, that every car could potentially have eyes for the Police..
Old 13-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
mickj

Bike: M1200s
It also has to be unedited video so if you've been a bit of a tit you might get an invite to contribute to the police Christmas party. That's the biggest problem with this tech, you have to make sure you are not filming your own ban or death.
Old 17-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Uncle Bob

I'm not sure how you'd prove who was actually driving and\or littering though? Short of riding up alongside them...
Old 17-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Wasta

Bike: M900
Littering from cars is a bugbear of mine, I have to say it does happily seem to be quiet rare now, at least where I travel.
Old 19-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

A significant amount of litter seems to emanate from fast food outlets. Maybe that says more about the clientele than the businesses themselves?

I would guess that most of the litter that is evident on the roadside has been jettisoned from vehicles, the majority of which may well have been purchased from the drive-through facility.

Maybe such facilities should be obliged to write the registration number of the car on the packaging? It may make the morons responsible think twice before chucking their rubbish out of the window. Although I accept that said morons are probably not accustomed to thinking at all.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #9
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Reg numbers on packaging, that’s a bloody brilliant idea.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
Uncle Bob

Absolute genius idea. If carparks can print your reg number on your entrance ticket then 'drive-thru' restaurants should be able to do something similar.

Maybe nobody has thought of it until now...?
Old 20-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Thanks for the positive feedback!
I have sent an email to the CEO of McDonalds UK, I will let you know his response (if any).
Old 20-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Right behind you with the reg number printing BRD. Such a stroke of genius and very doable with todays tech too.

Well done for not leaving it at just an idea and contacting the very top of one of the fast food outlets... Good luck with that, but I wouldn't have very high hopes.
It would probably take legislation to get anything done, but you never know...Mmm McDonalds prosecuting their customers???

Maybe a letter to your (our) local MP(s) might make an impact?
I bet someone like that Hugh Fernley-Servingsuggestion would chase it into the ground if he got the bit between his teeth?
Old 20-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

There is probably sufficient legislation already existing to prosecute. It just needs to be enforced (which is the difficult bit).

However, the DVLA seem perfectly prepared to sell data to any Tom, **** or Harry these days for 30 pieces of silver or less.
Old 20-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
There is probably sufficient legislation already existing to prosecute. It just needs to be enforced (which is the difficult bit).

However, the DVLA seem perfectly prepared to sell data to any Tom, **** or Harry these days for 30 pieces of silver or less.
Apparently I can't use D1ck!
Old 20-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Of course littering is already an offence. I was alluding to legislation to force vendors to print numbers on their packaging. I'm not sure they would do it voluntarily, but then again maybe it is in their interest to be more forward in being seen to be intolerant of their products being the source of littering/pollution.

The packets would have to be invisibly marked as well a visible one, just to stop the determinedly lazy from obliterating the mark before lobbing it out of the window.