UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Alternative headlamps...

Old 25-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #61
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That's a good benchmark Jerry.
I'm assuming that you have a complete SV650 shell, rim and lamp in your 750?

So I though why not buy an SV lamp to use with my adapter, but then I saw this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SV6...kAAOSwj0NUlEL3

Is that what you have in your 750?
It looks like a rather unusual set up and I doubt it would fit an ordinary 7" shell, nor my adapter... Rather a lot for a second hand light too.!!
Old 25-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #62
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Mr Gazza, I got my parcel today - thank you. If it works (with the LED light) as well as it looks, its going to be bleeping great.

Drop me a pm so I can send you a beer voucher via paypal!
Old 25-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #63
RossObey01

Following this closely, I've just been for my first ride of the year and got caught out after dark, reminded me just how terrible the light is. Although, come to think of it I don't have a standard light but one that was sold to me on the forum (will take me a little while to think who from). It's adjusted correctly as per height/level, but dipped beam is too short and high beam leaves a big dark patch and lights everything above the road instead!

I only have a usable beam when using the Pass trigger, which energises both circuits, is that normal?
Old 26-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #64
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
A quick note on headlight adjustment ...

I came across this when I was fitting a pair of carbon headlamp brackets (kindly donated by Capo .. thanks mate).
Anyway, the headlamp shell has these star-faced washer thingies which attempt to provide some grip on the headlight brackets.
You can see them in this pic of Gazza's bike.

Since the ally brackets are relatively soft, tightening the bolts up causes a star-shaped indentation in them .. as shown in this pic ...

I was wary of allowing this situation with the carbon brackets, lest they should become damaged, so I made up some new, flat, rubbery friction washers to go in the gap.
But the point is, these little indentations in the std ally brackets will provide a kind of "detent" arrangement which constantly guides the headlight into a fixed position rather than allowing fine adjustment between the indentations.
Since adjustment seems critical in getting the best out of a less than perfect headlight, its probably worth doing the same "friction washer" mod, even with std ally brackets.
Mine has been good for a couple of years with the new set-up.
And I have been able to successfully fine tune the headlight adjustment in recent months until the std lamp (with uprated Philips Extreme bulb) is almost acceptable.
Its still not brilliant obviously, but it definitely made a difference.
I used a thin sheet of rubber-impregnated fabric, which gave just enough flex without being too squidgy (technical term).
Thought it worth a mention.

Last edited by utopia; 26-01-2017 at 02:54 PM..
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #65
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Take lots of pics of the new set up Jez - if you're feeling generous a bit of a "how to" would be useful as well.
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #66
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Take lots of pics of the new set up Jez - if you're feeling generous a bit of a "how to" would be useful as well.
As soon as I get the LED light... The main supplier is away for a week.

And yes a review with pics will be forthcoming.
Old 26-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #67
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Some interesting comparisons of 7" LED units here... http://betterautomotivelighting.com/...light-is-best/
Some of the info is relevant but not sure how many of the units would be available in the UK and if they are right hand drive.
It's good to see all the lumens and lux figures in one place.

Wish I could find something like this for bulbs and bulb type reflector/lens units.
Old 26-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #68
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

It is very difficult to get simple Lux & Lumen info on the LED lights I have found. Plus you can't really tell in advance how accurate any of this info actually is...

I am going to buy Cree because it has something of a name/ reputation and its DOT etc. Its still a crapshoot, but worth trying!
Old 26-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #69
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Life's one big crapshoot sometimes eh?. Let's hope in this case it's "easy" not "hard"? I'm sure we all appreciate your pioneering spirit, I do and shall be interested in your results. I can say that HID is a dead end with the standard reflector, much brighter but no focus. More floodlight than spot light.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #70
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Life's one big crapshoot sometimes eh?. Let's hope in this case it's "easy" not "hard"? I'm sure we all appreciate your pioneering spirit, I do and shall be interested in your results. I can say that HID is a dead end with the standard reflector, much brighter but no focus. More floodlight than spot light.
The reflector is a big concern with HID, its very easy to blind oncoming traffic.

Thanks for the encouragement, and its the same old story of nothing ventured, nothing gained. I like to change bits and pieces... My car is probably only 50% original these days.
Old 26-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #71
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
That's a good benchmark Jerry.
I'm assuming that you have a complete SV650 shell, rim and lamp in your 750?

So I though why not buy an SV lamp to use with my adapter, but then I saw this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-SV6...kAAOSwj0NUlEL3

Is that what you have in your 750?
It looks like a rather unusual set up and I doubt it would fit an ordinary 7" shell, nor my adapter... Rather a lot for a second hand light too.!!
No mine is a complete shell and reflector its metal shell , crystal lens cost me £64.50 new .. Wemoto have them on their website

i will take a photo soon and post it
Old 26-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #72
jerry
Old Git

This is what I have on my M750
with a Phillips Xtreme H4 bulb its good
http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/pw-223-126/
Old 26-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #73
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
This is what I have on my M750
with a Phillips Xtreme H4 bulb its good
http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/pw-223-126/
Now that looks like a standard Bosch Monster style back with a clear front lens. I'm now wondering if its the standard lens and not the reflector that is the problem since mine have vertical ribs which is sure to scatter the light horizontally?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #74
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Now that looks like a standard Bosch Monster style back with a clear front lens. I'm now wondering if its the standard lens and not the reflector that is the problem since mine have vertical ribs which is sure to scatter the light horizontally?
Darren the metal shell is not same shape as bosch , the lens is clear plastic and convex the inner reflector is very similar to suzuki vertical ribbed style , and the bulb is visible ,
Old 27-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #75
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
My adaptor ring was delivered yesterday.
And also in the box was the other half of Gazza's pair of crystal style reflector units.
Complete with a blue bulb to boot.
Thanks mate, and thanks again.
I owe you postage and more.

It really does look like "proper" MDF, doesn't it.
I was imagining something a little more plastic-like .. and for some reason, more yellow ..?
This looks like it would soak up water like a sponge .. but I will have faith.
Its very nicely machined too.

I did look around for some ally tube to use as blanks, which might be economical ... but so far I've fallen (just) short of anything big enough.

Imagine the scene ....
Half a dozen or so turn up at the weekender, their headlights fitted with an assortment of different aftermarket innards, courtesy of Gazza's adaptors.
After dark, we all line up for a comparative assessment.

Now that I think of it, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to get hold of a second shell and rim so that two complete headlight units can be quickly swapped without messing around with the fiddly rim fitment.
Then I could easily do comparative runs down the same stretch of road at roughly the same time and in the same light conditions.
Or maybe I'm thinking this through too far ?

Incidentally, I think I was wrong about the two different styles of headlight shell/rim fixing.
Dunno where I got that from.
Still don't like the std arrangement much.

Which leads me to the pic of the aftermarket headlamp from Wemoto, as fitted to Jerry's 750.
The shell on that unit looks like it has the 2-bolt rim fixing.
If its the same as the old Japanese unit that I have on the Dommie now, its a far nicer design .. much more positive.
One aspect of all this headlight testing stuff, for me at least, is a reluctance towards having to fiddle with trying to refit the std rim to the shell ... repeatedly.
I'm not even sure that the design is up to repeated dismantling without wearing itself out.
Tbh, I'm tempted to try one from Wemoto just for the shell.
I guess that would give me the two shells for comparative testing .. but it could start to get expensive that way.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote