UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Loosing weight!

Old 26-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Loosing weight!

Hi all, I have what is essentially a 1994 Monster, from which I'm trying to loose weight. What weight saving tips have you got? and what kind of final figure have people got down to for road bikes? Mine (with later/heavier 1000 lump) comes out at 180kgs ready to go with 10lts of fuel. Thanks Bitza.
Old 26-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Flip

Bike: M900
I guess the first question is how big is your budget?

Expensive ways- Carbon wheels, Carbon fuel tank, Magnesium engine cases. Then replace all fixings with Titanium ones.

Less expensive ways, dump off everything that is unnecessary. This will depend somewhat on your view of practicality, think mirrors and lights to begin with. Fitting rear sets with no rear seat or footrests will allow you get rid of the indicators as well. You could go further by getting rid of the charging system and run total loss ignition but you'd have to experiment on range.

Less expensive still, only fill it with 5lts of fuel instead of 10lts

And finally, possibly the biggest weight saving of all can depend on whether you are built like motorcycle racer Dani Pedrosa or Shirley Crabtree- definitely NOT a motorcycle racer.

I think Utopia will be along soon to give his thoughts on the biggest gains...I mean losses!
Old 27-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Most cost effective move is to fit a lithium battery, particularly if you have the super-heavy, wet acid 16AL-A2 type. I saved a whopping 5.5kg there.
I dunno what the std exhaust system weighs but the cans are heavy. I began by fitting high level titanium termis, which I have recently replaced with a single-can high level system in big bore, thin wall tubing. This latter change saved over 4kg.
Then there's the wheels. I got lucky in that Dymag had an offer I couldn't refuse at a time when I was a little more flush with cash than usual. Result, a lovely pair of carbon wheels. I dunno exactly how much dead weight I saved there but its the rotating weight that counts and this was by far the most noticeable improvement to the bike's handling .. reminded me of my old 350 2-stroke yamaha.
Nitron shock is fairly light too, but I dunno exactly how much I've saved there, and it does add a hydraulic preload adjuster into the mix as well.
Other changes have been fairly minor ... ally bars, bar-end mirrors, the odd bit of titanium here and there.
Plus there have been weight additions .. homemade small screen, bellypan, airscoops for a while and even handguards.
I also fitted an ally swingarm, but the weight saving there is minimal ... though it does look a whole lot nicer.
Net result, including a bit of extra toolkit, a tyre plugger and CO2 cartridges and a mini can of chain lube ..... she's just a tad over 160kg at the moment, with a bone dry petrol tank.
Bear in mind though, the 750 starts off a bit lighter than some monsters.
I've done no engine work, neither tuning nor lightening.
I do have rearsets but they carry pillion pegs so probably don't save a lot of weight.
Oh yes, and an ally Renthal rear sprocket is a cost effective way to reduce dead, unsprung and rotating weight in one fell swoop.

Capo is the man for extreme weight saving.
His S4R is phenomenally light.
The pair together were a significant inspiration for my efforts.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote