UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » What to do?

Old 22-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #1
Bangbourneman

What to do?

I have an 821 Stripe & although I love the sound of the stock pipe I keep wondering if I’d love an aftermarket one even more? Then I wonder which one would I love the most, then I wonder what other Monster owners think as they’re the ones who should know. What I don’t want to do is shell out a cart load of money on something that sounds the same/less fruity than standard but gives me 3bhp more. Not fussed whether slip-on or full system, just want a decent soundtrack to rides. Now, I know this bit will be controversial but here goes...don’t necessarily need to go Termignoni route as think I prefer the single can look.
Next bit, Tyres. Want something that is grippy but lasts. Wet weather performance is not an issue as we don’t go out if it has rained/is raining/might rain. Am very happy with Diablo Rosso’s but just wondered if people have found something better.
Sure both of the above have been asked & answered many times before but I’m new to this, my first post, & just wanted to know what people in the know think.
Old 22-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Tyres wise the Michelin road / pilot road 5’s are incredible.

Cans wise just stay away from short cans…you’ll need it dyno’d if you do. I’d say Remus, spark, sc project off the top of my head. Have a look on YouTube there’s a lot of vids of cans on your bike type thing.

And it’s probably worth getting it dyno’d / tuned anyway
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
No need to remap if just fitting an end can, the ecu will adapt just fine
Old 23-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #4
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
I think the little Termis look and sound really good on the 821 personally, but it's your choice!

Here's a vid of stock vs Termi on an 821: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPhKPWxtVOs I think you'll agree that the unbaffled sound is rather nice

I haven't tried the PR5s yet, but I had PR4s on my 696 and they were really excellent. I'm considering the PR5 for the evo next.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
A twin adsorption silencer will be quieter than a single one. I like the look of the Termis too. Just saying. There are plently of cheap chinese slip ons on ebay (£50) that will fit a monster and they actually look ok, but they are cheap and probably won't last long. Plenty of s/hand Termis too (£250-300) .

I know what I'd fit to mine if it hadn't come with a full system already. Any slip on is unlikely to add any HP or torque, just more noise. A full system if you can get one will add around 10% more torque and hp (well it does for the quattro motor, not sure about the new ones) and it will sound nice too. Plus you will probably get your money back if you sell it on or it will add value to the bike.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
Paul_

Bike: M696
Take a look at Mivv exhausts ��
Paul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Moco1961

Hi Rich, welcome along first of all, so Michelin power rs was my choice when I swapped from the original Rosso II. For me the transformation was night and day, grip ,handling and response. What year is your bike?, reason I ask is I have the 180/60 on the rear which as it turns out is not a common profile, they don't do the road pilot in a 60 profile but I think the later 821 has a 55 rear. The problem, so I understand ,is the traction control, if you fit a 55 profile the bike thinks you are loosing traction......if I am not correct I am sure I will be corrected

I was concerned at first by the lack of sypes in the rather sparse tread pattern but it's a dual compound and super grippy. I have been out in some horrendous weather this year and not a sign of loosing grip so a massive thumbs up from me, the pilot 5 is actually the same tread with a few sypes thrown in so it should be better at shifting water from the contact area.

Ref exhaust.......termis on mine!

Last edited by Moco1961; 23-08-2019 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Auto spell checking thing
Old 26-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
Bangbourneman

Mine is a 2015 so has the 55 rear & having read all the posts/discussions about the 60 messing up the tc guessed I ought to stick with the Pirelli’s. No wet weather riding ever planned, been there, done that, not doing it again. Really need a tyre that’s like wood in centre for longevity & like putty on sides for fun in twisty bits but don’t think they make them like that! Thanks for input.
Old 27-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
DaveR

Bike: S4r
Hi
I've had a Bridgestone BT 023 on the front of my S4R for the past couple of years, mistake! It is duel compound as you are looking for, but the middle is far too hard, leaving me with a tyre resembling a 50p piece, with a very narrow contact area when upright. this has been partially corrected by 400+ motorway miles [long story] this weekend, which has worn it down a bit.
I need to change it sooner or later, but there's lots of life left in it !
As the pilot sports seem to be the tyre of choice in here, maybe I'll try a pair of those when the time comes.
I've a Bridgestone S 016 on the rear & that's good

Dave
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
Bangbourneman

Hmmm, never a fan of Bridgestones, had battlax’s on my ‘78 XS1100 & they were twitchy at best, swapped to Avon Roadriders & it became just about manageable. Point to note, don’t own one of the worst handling motorcycles of all time & a Ducati, & certainly don’t ride one, one day, & the other the next! If you do it the wrong way round it scares the beejesus out of you! ����