UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Bad news and Good News

Old 23-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #31
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If you have two million (slack jawed, snowflake) instagram followers, you can ask them yourself ;-)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #32
rac3r

I can't even crack 30 followers
Old 23-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #33
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Got 2k twitter followers. maybe they'll lend me an Audi T shirt?

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #34
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Given that the race bikes keep it, I 'regret' to say it's not a big image problem. The image of Ducatis as sporty bikes is based on (mostly) quite old victories, supported by sound and design. The factory and we, the Ducatisti, are brilliant at keeping the 'Ferrari of motorcycles' idea alive - for a loooong time after it was deserved (if it ever was).
So, our image will survive the last few years of combustion engines.

In the electric future, Ducati can re-launch a Desmodromic "inverter" on their e-bikes - thus starting the story all over again. First mentioned by flounder Stu at http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=78464.0
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #35
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
'These days'. Kinda proves the point.

Look I love old Dukes, they look fantastic and some of them go great too. But I'm an old fart. The future belongs to people far younger than me and if they don't want to get oily, look forward to buying matching accessories and are more interested in the vibe than getting their knee down then..... their loss.
Well, not really. That’s a bit like saying outside toilets were better because the process of using one was more involving. It’s not for any individual to say what other people should get out of owning a motorcycle.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #36
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Well, not really. That’s a bit like saying outside toilets were better because the process of using one was more involving. It’s not for any individual to say what other people should get out of owning a motorcycle.
That's a poor analogy but who is to say it isn't true in spirit. We enjoy all the trappings of 21st century life and health but I've no doubt there are things we have lost through progress that were rich, fulfilling and involving that we don't even know about. Not toilets though obviously, very poor.
As an individual I can have a view on it. I'm not preventing it or disrupting it. I've said the future is theirs and it's no longer my business. In My Opinion it's their loss. In 40 years time In Their Opinion it will be the next generations loss. Twas ever thus no doubt.
On the subject of the valves though, I honestly don't care. If Audi/Ducati think it's the right way to go then do it. I love the V4. I'm really talking about the Scrambler 'lifestyle' and the slew of modern 'retro looking' bikes that cater to a lifestyle way of thinking. "Grown the beard, rolled up my trousers, oh I know I'll get an old 'looking' bike"
Oh and I speak from the angle of someone who considers bikes to only be fun toys for going fast. Like a jetski but without the hassle of a trailer and some water. Again an opinion that millions who rely on them would disagree with.

Old 25-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #37
Uncle Bob

It’s a real shame that this kind of exclusive attitude still exists in biking. Judging another motorcyclist because they turn up their trousers and have a beard rather than scraping their oily fingernails across the tarmac? Literally everything about owning any kind of motorcycle is a lifestyle choice.

Personally, if I can have a bike that has 40k service intervals and still gives me the same feeling as my Ducatis have then I’ll be a happy bunny.
Old 25-10-2020, 11:09 PM   #38
Dirty
Bockloks

It's a real shame that having an opinion seems to upset so many people today. Saying 'their loss' isn't 'judging' or exclusive. My whole point is 'they are young, let them do whatever they want to, like I did'. That's as far from 'judging' as it gets. Am I supposed to like it and join in as well? Am I obliged to think it's as rewarding as other things? Are all things equal now, no winners, no losers, well done cupcake you tried!
And I call bull on everything about owning a bike is lifestyle. Nothing about my bike ownership is a lifestyle choice. It's simply one of many hobbies. I have many similar friends who just happen to own bikes and also many for who biking is a lifestyle. Some even have beards and turn their trousers up. They also have a soh

No one is against 40k service intervals. It's not obligatory to even change your own oil, I don't anymore. But I could if I wanted to...

Old 26-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #39
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
If anyone has any questions about Ducati’s choice to pursue this technical direction let me know. i’ve been invited to an online meeting on the subject, so can forward on any questions you have.
I've emailed and asked if they're prepared to discuss the end of the trellis frame and whether we can expect a V4 Monster, although it may be outside the scope of the discussion, since it's meant to be specifically about the Granturismo V4 Multistrada motor.

Let me know in the next few days if you have anything you want to ask.
Old 26-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #40
Uncle Bob

Quote:
It's a real shame that having an opinion seems to upset so many people today.
Doesn’t it just

The irony lol
Old 26-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #41
rac3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I've emailed and asked if they're prepared to discuss the end of the trellis frame and whether we can expect a V4 Monster, although it may be outside the scope of the discussion, since it's meant to be specifically about the Granturismo V4 Multistrada motor.

Let me know in the next few days if you have anything you want to ask.
V4 monster is a good question. Also if they're going to make something to rival the Aprilia RS660? (Also probably out of scope)
Old 27-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #42
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:

The irony lol
Yes, your own

Old 27-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #43
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Yes, your own
Ok fella, whatever you say
Old 27-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #44
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Ok fella, whatever you say
Of course. Trite comments are the only thing left when your original contention has been shown to be fallible. Enjoy the rest of your day

Old 27-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #45
slob

give it a rest