UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » esso 99 octane supreme +

Old 11-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
uncle duke

Bike: S2r 1000
esso 99 octane supreme +

Hi i thought i'd ask the knowledgeable on here for an answer , i filled up today at an ESSO garage & noticed that they now do a 99 octane fuel ...any advantage for me & my old skool air cooled DS1000 motor ?? i do tend to use higher octane in my old Triumph but what about the S2R ?
uncle duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
In theory probably not. You bike should have been designed to run fine on 93, that said I have (possibly false) seat of the pants feeling mine runs a little better on 97. Can’t say the power of suggestion worked any better when I filled up with 104 in Germany. % Ethanol may make a difference but this apparently varies from forecourt to forecourt, between regions etc. even with the same brand.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
The higher octane rating doesn't mean that the fuel contains more energy, just that it is more resistant to detonation and pre-ignition than fuel with a lower octane rating. So, as long as your fuel's octane rating is above the minimum recommended by Ducati, increasing it won't give you any more power unless it's coupled with another performance mod., such as an increased compression ratio, (which would have otherwise caused detonation with the lower octane fuel).

The only bikes I think that can benefit from higher octane fuel are BMWs, some of which run knock sensors. These detect any detonation/pre-ignition and retard the ignition timing to just below the level at which it occurs. Consequently, if you use higher octane fuel, the BMW is designed to advance its ignition timing to suit, giving more power. (I think the Honda VFR1200 may also use knock sensors.)
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Have been using Shell 99 octane for some years now and found it to be good in as much as throttle response seems to be more 'solid' and controlable although at high rev throttle closure (not a habit of mine) it does tend to 'backfire' a little (complete with flames) !!!

Still, it tends to make the vehicle following to back off a little!
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
I always run my S2r on super unleaded, either Tesco momentum or V power for no other reason than the alleged cleaning properties of some of the higher octane stuff.

The Mito demands a rating of at least 98 so that also gets the good stuff.

The child's Skyteam Ace gets run on super unleaded as well but with about 3hp it needs all the help it can get

And the amount we use, the cost is minimal so why not?