UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » soon to be s2r owner

Old 23-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
robgarrington

soon to be s2r owner

hi there new to the forum looking to buy a monster s2r

any pointers on what to look for ?

cheers
rob
Old 23-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Mrs Soup

As ever - sound paint and a service history
Old 23-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
Scootaboy

generally speaking...ducatis need to be ridden rather than stored in garages for months at a time, you may have battery/electrical problems otherwise (thats what people always seem to say when this question is asked)

need full service history and check when the next one is due
Old 23-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Hey Rob one of the primary things to look for is the round black things at the front and back, just as in Scootaboys avatar LOL

Seriously the S2R's aren't that old and I don't think thay had any major problems.
So you're looking for history, a full set of keys (blacks, red and a code card) and general condition. Service is important, pretty vital are belt changes at 12K ish or 2 years, you really don't want to have one let go on you. So a 4 yr old bike should be on its second set of belts regardless of the miles it's done. Don't walk away if not just factor in an adjustment for the £xxx service costs (or £40ish DIY)
Ducati seem to have problems in mixing making sticky casing paint so some chips is OK, lots with much bubbling round them not so good and a bargaining point. The horizontal cylinder takes the brunt of the abuse and often you find flaking there.
'Extras' add limited value but do look nice.
Miles, well if underused the battery suffers and the owner won't have made an effort to make sure it works in all conditions so you can get irritating gremlins related to dry or slightly corroded connectors. That's the same on any bike though.

Ideal is a papmpered toy that's done about 2 - 3 K a year with regular services.
Old 23-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Jim66a

If its an S2r 1000 your looking for, I called in V-duo Ducati in Lincoln today, They have two very nice S2r1000's http://www.v-duo.co.uk
Old 23-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
lumpy lump lump

Hi Rob
i have a mint 06 s2r 800 ,red white sripe with black wheels ,(the one to have)
all the right bits in all the right places .couple ov tastefull mods , no tale chops
silly indicators ect . just had chain + sprockets (renthel adapter) .love the bike
and hope im not dooin the wrong thing but i fancy a 749
cheers Lumpy