UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Replacement Brake & Clutch Resrvoirs? Leak?

Old 28-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Replacement Brake & Clutch Resrvoirs? Leak?

Looking at my brake reservoir today I noticed some fluid has leaked... Its a really small amount and it may have taken two weeks to accumulate (last time it was ridden) so I will check it again tomorrow to see whats there overnight. I have no idea why it has developed a problem as it has not been bumped and there's no moving parts to wear out. I know that the fluid will destroy te paintwork on my bike so it will be wrapped up -if the leak proves to be tiny- whilst I get it resolved.

So knowledgable Monster riding mates, if the source of the leak is unclear, what is the general process to follow? Do I replace the lid and/or the diaphragm, or bin it all and replace with new?

If new is best, anyone have a recommendation? I think I will pass on Chinese brake parts. I looked on the Performance Parts (Rizoma distributor) but they had nothing suggested for my bike. I expect the original Brembo reservoir is still available, but its probably the same price as diamonds so I'd rather spend the money on an upgrade!

If anyone has a set (brake & clutch) they have taken off thats in perfect condition and you want to sell it, let me know what you have with a pic & a price?

As always all advice and comments gratefully received.

JEZ!
Old 28-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Yes, you can still get complete original Ducati/Brembo reservoirs (58540331A) for about £20 from Moto Rapido with your 10% discount, or just the cap, seal and screws (89340251A) for about £14.

About a year ago I bought a pair of Chinese reservoirs http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58392

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233373767735

I've used the rear brake reservoir for 12 months and it's been fine - no leaks or discolouration. I gave the front brake reservoir to Rrawlings - I don't know if he's used it yet.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I’ve only briefly flirted with fancy reservoirs, I figure the stock ones are light, efficient and cheap (although I prefer the look of the older ‘milky’ looking ones, I think the new style clear ones look like specimen jars). I have found that using a random bit of pipe to connect them isn’t a good idea, they can sweat brake fluid, so I’d always pay a couple of quid extra for some Brembo (or other) specific brake pipe.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
I’ve only briefly flirted with fancy reservoirs, I figure the stock ones are light, efficient and cheap (although I prefer the look of the older ‘milky’ looking ones, I think the new style clear ones look like specimen jars). I have found that using a random bit of pipe to connect them isn’t a good idea, they can sweat brake fluid, so I’d always pay a couple of quid extra for some Brembo (or other) specific brake pipe.
I've just checked on the bike and there's no more fluid thats leaked out overnight. Perhaps its from using the bike so maybe a hose going bad, but there's no pressure at the reservoir... Hmm.

The fancy ones seem to all be bike specific. I'm not sure why that is -maybe due to the mounting brackets?

Thanks for the info @Luddite. Originals are amazingly cheap! Do they come complete with the diaphragm/ cap or is that all a separate item?

Also a replacement pipe would certainly be Brembo and the wire fastener too.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 29-05-2021 at 05:12 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez900ie View Post
Do they come complete with the diaphragm/ cap or is that all a separate item?
58540331A is the complete reservoir with cap, diaphragm, screws and nuts.
Old 29-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Jez, there's not much that can go wrong with a res' really. I would pop the lid off and make sure that no fluid has got the top side of the bellows and wipe the rubber all clean and reinstall making sure you don't over tighten the two little screws.

I'm with Rob on the original remote reservoirs, perfectly adequate.
I changed the retained nuts on mine this year as they were rusty and staining the pot.
They just prise out of the side of the pot and push back in again once the holes in the pt are all cleaned out... It transformed the look of it altogether.

Does anyone know where to get stainless clips for the hoses? Mine are very brown and I know these have been sourced on here before a long time ago.
Old 29-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
58540331A is the complete reservoir with cap, diaphragm, screws and nuts.
Thanks Luddite!
Old 29-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #8
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Jez, there's not much that can go wrong with a res' really. I would pop the lid off and make sure that no fluid has got the top side of the bellows and wipe the rubber all clean and reinstall making sure you don't over tighten the two little screws.

I'm with Rob on the original remote reservoirs, perfectly adequate.
I changed the retained nuts on mine this year as they were rusty and staining the pot.
They just prise out of the side of the pot and push back in again once the holes in the pt are all cleaned out... It transformed the look of it altogether.

Does anyone know where to get stainless clips for the hoses? Mine are very brown and I know these have been sourced on here before a long time ago.
Thanks Mr Gazza, I will undo the cap, wipe it & the diaphragm off and see if that resolves this.
Old 29-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I've not come across stainless clips, Mr G. The only silver ones I've seen are zinc plated.

I've used this place before for decals and reservoir caps and they currently have hose and silver clip kits available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142778522998

I have also used HCL Clamping (for the Oetiker clamps I fitted on my fuel pump) and they have the zinc plated clips in a variety of sizes. I think the 9.8 - 10.4mm ones are the appropriate size.

https://hcl-clamping.co.uk/products/...c-plated-steel
Old 30-05-2021, 07:42 AM   #10
Rrawlings

I haven’t put the reservoirs on yet that Luddite (Vince) kindly sent me as I got a perfect feel and no air in the system last time I bled my front brakes so don’t want to mess that up. However the Brembo sock reservoir covers I have on are starting to go baggy and annoying me so on my trip to Hawes and around the dales yesterday I thought I’m going to get the smoked ones on. I can confirm that the original Brembo lids fit on the reservoirs though which is nice. Once I get round to it possibly later this week I will put some pictures on
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
I haven’t put the reservoirs on yet that Luddite (Vince) kindly sent me as I got a perfect feel and no air in the system last time I bled my front brakes so don’t want to mess that up. However the Brembo sock reservoir covers I have on are starting to go baggy and annoying me so on my trip to Hawes and around the dales yesterday I thought I’m going to get the smoked ones on. I can confirm that the original Brembo lids fit on the reservoirs though which is nice. Once I get round to it possibly later this week I will put some pictures on
Great -lets see the pics!
Old 30-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #12
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
I haven’t put the reservoirs on yet that Luddite (Vince) kindly sent me as I got a perfect feel and no air in the system last time I bled my front brakes so don’t want to mess that up.
If you don't remove the rubber hoses from the master cylinders and ensure they always have some fluid in them, then you shouldn't need to rebleed the brakes. Just squeeze the hoses a couple of times once the reservoirs are fitted and filled to drive out any air bubbles, which may have entered the tubes.
Old 30-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for the links Vince. To be honest I don't see any mileage in replacing the brown clips with more self browning ones. That said they will be alright for a few years I suppose.

Someone on here did find some stainless ones quite some time ago, but I'm not even sure what search to initiate!

What Vince says about leaving the hose on the master and taking the pot off the end..
I have seen just a piece of clear hose used on it's own as a reservoir, perhaps a slightly longer hose than from master to reservoir and with a cork in the end. It was probably a rear brake on a racing bike. It probably wouldn't get past scrutineering these days, but it proves that it worked for at least one guy anyway.

If I'm doing anything with fluid I always cover everything with an old shower curtain, so just the reservoir is visible through of the curtain, like a surgeon operating through a hole in a sheet with just the organ exposed... (sounded better in my head!)

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 30-05-2021 at 06:37 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #14
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
clean the brown clips up by dipping in vinegar or cola, then give them a spray with satin black paint
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yeah, I know Rob, It's not beyond the wit of man, I have two bottles of Deox and a Nickel plating plant, but I can't be arsed for 6 little clips.
I'll let you know if I find some stainless ones.