UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Evo 1100 rear shock - possible upgrade?

Old 20-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #46
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
On my forks I dropped the yolks down the forks so I had 12.5mm showing above the yolk, found it a very comfortable position along with the lower Monster 796 risers :-)

My Bike is now in the showroom a V -Duo in Lincoln http://www.v-duo.co.uk/product/2013-...ter-m1100-evo/
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #47
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Doesn't that make it turn quicker? What are the downsides?
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #48
chris.p
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Doesn't that make it turn quicker? What are the downsides?
It turns in beautifully, feels more sporty, yet still does not lose any of it’s monster character, there are no down sides in my mind.
Old 20-03-2021, 03:13 PM   #49
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You could drop the forks down, but in my opinion its probably better to raise the rear, at least with the original shape monsters as it makes them less rear biased and makes them handle much better, you can adjust the hoop or bar to make it longer.

The later ones (796/1100 etc) are a different kettle of fish and have a much more crude SS type of arrangement, ie no rising rate linkage setup of which I have no experience of but I suppose the principals are the same as my old 900SS which always felt better 2 up than it ever did solo.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #50
chris.p
Gold Member

Rear shock was 10mm longer as different lengths are available when you order.
Old 20-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #51
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yeah, a longer shock is probably the only option to raise the rear on those bikes although I did read somewhere that the end joint from another bike fitted and raised it about 5mm but you will deffo benefit from a better quality damper unit like Nitron or Ohlins as you feel it more directly.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #52
stopintime

Bike: S2r
It was the shock mounting clevice from a 1100/796 that raised the 696.

That generation have the engine mounted much higher in the frame. Enormous numbers of chain slack - less catastrophic with the progressive spring, but still.... Big surprice that Ducati make that kind of mistakes.

Positive effect of a higher rear could be a relatively lower front. Quicker steering. My limited experience with 696/1100 is that they DO NOT need changes to the geometry. The original Monsters on the other hand - MUST be modified.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 10:06 PM   #53
chris.p
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post

Positive effect of a higher rear could be a relatively lower front. Quicker steering. My limited experience with 696/1100 is that they DO NOT need changes to the geometry. .

The 1100 Evo is a different bike in many ways to the 796/1100 that went before it, a raised rear, with slightly lower front (and I mean slightly) with the lower 796 bar risers make for a fantastic handling Monster.
Old 30-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #54
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Took the Evo for its MOT today ready for road tax from April 1st.
First ride since the front forks upgrade. Bearing in mind I haven't yet fitted the new Ohlins rear shock and the bike is still to be properly setup:

The front suspension is noticeably less "crashy and jarring" over uneven road surfaces. There is one piece of road which I ride & drive on regularly which is far from smooth & the bike felt far more settled and positive along it.

James fitted a band on the lower tube & although no hard braking was involved it didn't move below halfway so nowhere near bottoming out.

Very pleased thus far!

Added bonus, spotted a lovely blue & silver 900SS bevel circa 1975/6 in Beverley coming in the opposite direction but at a busy junction so no time to acknowledge unfortunately. It sounded awesome!
Old 10-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #55
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Really stupid question???

At long long last I collected my new Ohlins rear shock today.

Checking it over & offering it up to the bike, a thought occurred.

The standard Sachs shock has the preload ring adjusters at the swingarm end but, looking at my Paul Smart Ohlins rear shock, they are at the top (frame bracket) in other words, the shock is 'upside down' compared to the Monster setup.

So, which way up should it be on the Evo? Any other issues I should be aware of when fitting said new shock?
Old 10-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #56
Ron1000

My ohlins du737 has the pre-load rings at the bottom. Dunno if that’s correct or not…it was on it when i bought.

It has been under the eye of ducati mechanics for minimum 4 services since though so I’m not worried about it.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #57
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Thanks for that info. Just had a look at some pictures of the M1100S which has Ohlins as standard & the same swing arm & frame & preload rings are also at the swingarm end.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #58
Luddite

Ooh, some Öhlins bling, Paul. I trust you'll be posting pictures.

I wasn't aware that the Paul Smart shock fitted the Evo but looking at the layout of the unit, I don't think the piggy back reservoir will fit in the swinging arm mount. If that's the case, then you'll have to mount it with the reservoir on top à la Paul Smart. It does mean that you can't adjust the preload in situ, so don't replace your hugger and exhaust until you're happy with the sag.

My DU432 also has the preload collars at the top but I've not had cause to adjust it since setting it up on installation.

Looking forward to seeing it fitted.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #59
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Thanks Vince. My post lacked clarity in hindsight. The shock on the PS doesn't fit, I was just comparing out of interest which prompted the panic!

Just checked again and, as you say, the preload rings must be at the swingarm end otherwise they are not accessible for adjustment. The black rebound damping adjuster (as shown at the swingarm end on your bike) is accessible through the aperture in the rear subframe so it would appear that is the correct orientation.

So, accessibility to adjusters aside, it would appear that it doesn't matter which way round the shock is fitted unless of course a piggy-back reservoir is also present?
Old 10-06-2021, 09:32 PM   #60
Luddite

Aha! So what Öhlins shock have you gone for? The DU737? If so, then the preload rings will be at the bottom, as per here.

(The installation manual will tell you anyway).

And you're right about orientation, that PS version would work either way up, (assuming you could fit it 'upside-down').
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote