UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Seized Bolt Anyone?!

Old 24-03-2024, 07:53 PM   #31
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yep, I should have considered that the bolt would have a long, or indeed very long shoulder.
Dunno how that escaped me to be honest.
Maybe I've got used to sub standard engineering becoming more commonplace over the years.

You would have to be very careful drilling the head off with a 10mm drill though .. any slight error in centring or parallel could easily result in damage to the swingarm as the drill breaks through.

Also, if you're only drilling to the depth of the head, a std length drill might be long enough.
And now that I think of it, maybe some sort of wide collar could be put over the drill to prevent drilling too deep.
Or maybe a shouldered bush with a 10mm bore made to fit the hole in the swingarm and serving a similar purpose.

I'm throwing ideas off the cuff here but its all food for thought, eh ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2024, 08:44 PM   #32
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I often find the need to have a depth gauge on a hand held drill.
I just measure how much drill bit I don't want to use and cut a bit of wood to that length.
Then just drill through the bit of wood. (preferably on the pillar drill to get it square and central.) Then put it over the bit up to the chuck jaws and you've got a precision depth gauge.

Refining that for this application, I reckon a bit of broom handle might fit in the access hole?
So long as it was drilled dead centrally it would be a guide mandrel and depth gauge as you describe.

A little touch of the bit on the ally shouldn't be too bad though, especially if a washer is used under the replacement bolt head.
Old 25-03-2024, 08:20 AM   #33
WAH

Bike: Other Ducati
Thanks guys, been tied up on domestic trivia,
Utopia. Much appreciate your kind words, having inspected the nut a little more thoroughly I'm inclined to believe I was mistaken in my earlier ramblings, I don't believe the nut/bolt assy had moved at all, in spite of all my efforts, suspect it was in this situ when I started on it.
As for drilling the head probably worth mentioning it's going to be a high tensile item.
Regret I don't have air tools of any description, have to see what mate brings over to play with.
Edit.
regarding mangled swingarm axle bolt head (adj sprocket) the incorrect sprocket fitment won't have improved this mess! Can see no evidence of chain attacking crankcases tho, so assume damage is down to previous lack of chain adjustment.

Last edited by WAH; 25-03-2024 at 09:45 AM..
WAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 11:08 AM   #34
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Dunno how much help my slightly off beam ramblings were in the end, but at least they furthered the discussion.
And now that I think of it, there is absolutely no guarantee that the access hole in the swingarm is accurately concentric with the bolt in question.
The drill-stop idea still seems worthwhile though.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 11:33 AM   #35
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
And now that I think of it, there is absolutely no guarantee that the access hole in the swingarm is accurately concentric with the bolt in question.
The drill-stop idea still seems worthwhile though.
The access hole in mine measures 17.5mm (a 10mm cap head bolt head is 16mm).

Out of curiosity I have just tried a (standard length?) 10mm drill in the hole and when it first touches the head of the 10mm cap head (with washer) it leaves just 35mm of shank protruding from the swingarm (coincidentally about the depth of the chuck of my drill) so, I don't think you'd need to worry too much about drilling too deep if you're just drilling the head off. Plus, there's enough room to drift the bolt out the nut-side if you remove the exhaust downpipe.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2024, 11:22 AM   #36
WAH

Bike: Other Ducati
Success! Well that was a jolly couple of hours.
Initially the drill bit was just skating off the bolt head, suspect potential work hardening from impact gun etc.
Bolt head eventually gave in to firm attention from die grinder and then drill bit although when the bolt head was completely removed it was still not possible to drift out the remnants, using a tool punch and 4lb club hammer, it was decided to continue with the drill and then try drifting again as further drilling progress was made through the bolt.
Eventually the bolt surrendered, drill bit appears to have gone off centre very slightly but the swingarm appears unharmed.

Thanks again all for kind support and suggestions.
WAH is offline   Reply With Quote