UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Replacement Clutch

Old 08-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
ibanezlynx

Replacement Clutch

I originally posted in the wanted section for OEM clutch parts. I need a full set of plates, clutch drum and basket for my rebuild.

I rang Motorapido for advice and they said they fit mostly genuine Ducati replacement parts and that Ali baskets are less durable. It's going to cost me about £400 not including the 10% discount at Motorapido.

Initially I was not overly fussed regarding slipper clutches and bling ali parts however I received negative feedback regarding genuine ducati parts. I know that GAZZA is interested in quality and durable aluminium clutch parts.

I would like some recommendations and advice for good, durable clutch sets which I could use at a similar cost to the ducati parts. I'm not interested to much in weight saving. What are people using and do they like it? What about slipper clutches?

I'm hoping this will be a good informative post which can help other people in the same position...

Thanks very much!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
original ducati steels clutch basket in my S4 lasted 16k miles and was very worn and noisy ,, aluminium basket from stein diense germany with ducati plates has lasted so far 18k miles and is still in good condition ...fairly quiet and not much wear.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

I have about 25,000 miles on genuine Ducati basket and plates plus a decent second hand hub, all still good.

will probably fit an ally basket though when needed
Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Kato
Dismantled

If you can find one get a Barnett basket they have stainless inserts that will last forever

Quick search turns this up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barnett-Bi...item3ceee69e77

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-100...item2c8f428b66

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mon...item3cf47ef2c3

here ya go, job done for around £300

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks for mentioning my interest in this ibanezlynx.

I am not looking exclusivly for Alloy components for the sake of it. If other materials prove to be longer lasting and keenly priced, they will get my vote.

I am also very interested in "cherry picking" the best bits from various sources and need to be reassured that if they are designated for my model, that they will live together in it.

Obviously not expecting 48 tab plates to fit in a standard basket and so on but would wish for all the bits to be harmonious.

One reason for this is that I may need to take advantage of any bargains going, and piece my new clutch together in easy installments...Obviously fitting it all in one go when all the bits are aquired.

Excellent tips so far though..Thank you...
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I like the alloy basket with steel inserts, that's a great idea. Although I'm thinking of replacing my 12 tooth with a 48 tooth basket when it comes time to replace it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
ibanezlynx

Awesome stuff so far. KATO I axtually emailed those guys regarding the clutch hub a few days ago and they said it wouldn't fit a 1994 monster? Not sure that's correct.

No problems GAZZA, I too want to get the best prices available and am likely to pick and place to get a working clutch!

I'm liking the alloy and stainless insert basket, seems like a great idea!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Which type is noisiest? That's the one I want

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
The EVR 48 tooth basket and plates conversion looks good and within your price range?
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Which type is noisiest? That's the one I want
I'll send you my old one then...
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #11
Kato
Dismantled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezlynx View Post
I axtually emailed those guys regarding the clutch hub a few days ago and they said it wouldn't fit a 1994 monster? Not sure that's correct.

!
Think that's incorrect pretty sure they were the same from 1990 to 2007/8

Original part number 19610011A changed to 19610011B, has been superseded by 19610012B and is listed for everything from 851 up including Monster 93 to 02, I'd check with them again

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #12
ibanezlynx

Thanks Kato, great help. I challenged it and they decided it should fit. I've bought it anyway.
Do you think steel plates would be okay in the barnett basket? Not sure what the thickness of the stainless inserts are.
Does anyone have any experience of the EVR 48 tooth conversion? I guess the loads shared out so maybe a bit smoother and less aggressive wear? Does anyone have any experience using this system?
Old 30-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
ibanezlynx

So I ended up buying an aftermarket hub, newfren plates and a ducati basket. Thanks everyone for the help. All goes together okay and I managed to save a bit of money:

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 30-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezlynx View Post
So I ended up buying an aftermarket hub, newfren plates and a ducati basket. Thanks everyone for the help. All goes together okay and I managed to save a bit of money:

[/URL][/IMG]
Is that a steel basket? Because if it is the Newfren plates won't last long...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #15
ibanezlynx

It certainly is. I picked the plates up cheap. My theory is- An ali basket worth having is hard-anodised and thus has a harder surface than ali plates. Therefore an ali basket or basket with steel inserts will wear ali plates quicker than the basket. I picked up the plates cheap and can always dress the tangs periodically. At least the basket will last and I am happy to replace the plates when I need too.

Tags
clutch