UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » New Monster

Old 05-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #106
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I love the fact they dropped weight and moved with times. Up for that any day. I am OK to drop trellis frame if its to much weight as long as end result looks great.
SF aside there is plenty proof out there that said frame\engine combo can look nice.

My Favourite

Few more examples

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #107
slob

They both look bloody dreadful to me Luka, taking the fairings off a sportsbike just leaves it looking unfinished. Panigales are ****ing awesome but not necessarily good roadbikes. The oversquare motor is completely track focused.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #108
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
VW/Audi comes in for criticism regarding their influence on Ducati. Personally, I don't have enough information to form a view on that.

However, the VW golf was launched in 1974 - 46 years ago! but even today, the latest version is still instantly recognisable as a Golf.

To me, sadly, the most recent version of the Monster doesn't manage to pull off the same trick with such aplomb.

Maybe it's easier with cars than bikes?

That said, I think the Kawasaki Z900 retro launched a couple of years ago or so is a real beauty, that manages to encompass the style of the original Z1 with a modern liquid-cooled engine. I really think Ducati could have done much more with the new Monster.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #109
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
It's the design cues BigRed ...
Look at BMW cars and the front end then look at pretty much any model since the twenties (??) and you see the shape.
Interestingly VW did try this with the new version 8 Golf but it fell over a bit with the blobby body shape.
Problem is that the Monster design cues were dropped over successive models, the 'all you need is' ethos is there but nothing that links it to the mothership other than the name.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #110
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
VW/Audi comes in for criticism regarding their influence on Ducati. Personally, I don't have enough information to form a view on that.

However, the VW golf was launched in 1974 - 46 years ago! but even today, the latest version is still instantly recognisable as a Golf.

To me, sadly, the most recent version of the Monster doesn't manage to pull off the same trick with such aplomb.

Maybe it's easier with cars than bikes?

That said, I think the Kawasaki Z900 retro launched a couple of years ago or so is a real beauty, that manages to encompass the style of the original Z1 with a modern liquid-cooled engine. I really think Ducati could have done much more with the new Monster.
Trouble is I dont think they sold like hot cakes. I was smitten by one but never owned a z1 or 9. I really think they are a modern replacement dream not a step forward like Ducsti want. Maybe their thinking is they have exhausted the tried to keep the look in ways and need to diverse something radical. It's a huge gamble as always.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:44 AM   #111
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
They both look bloody dreadful to me Luka, taking the fairings off a sportsbike just leaves it looking unfinished. Panigales are ****ing awesome but not necessarily good roadbikes. The oversquare motor is completely track focused.
They are custom builds stuff will always be out but look wise miles better even unfinished if you ask me.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #112
slob

Those look much better finished, maybe I just don’t like the hipster no seat unit thing? I still don’t think V2 Pani’s make a better roadbike than the older, longer stroke, Testastrettas. All the ‘traditionalists’ whinged about Pani’s at first, hating no trellis, camchain instead of belts...
Old 06-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #113
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
All the ‘traditionalists’ whinged about Pani’s at first, hating no trellis, camchain instead of belts...
How many times has that happened?

696 monster - no one liked it initially but it sold well
821/1200 monster - as above
749/999, slated but now considered an appreciating model range
1sr Gen Multistrada- everyone hated it (lots still do...) but again it’s a bike than is being appreciated, they’re actually pretty good if you can get over the looks. Again, it sold well
Hypermotard got a bit of stick for the beak, but guess what, they did ok and became a key model
Sport Classic range, everybody at the time said why? Trying buying a decent one now under £8-10k...
As you said, the Panigale range wasn’t exactly well received
V4 engines were derided as “not Ducati” looks like it’s pretty good to me
New SF - got flak for wings etc, sold bloody well
Diaval range, same thing. The new Lambo version was slated for its colour scheme, all 600+ odd bikes sold in two days.

This new monster isn’t aimed at the traditional monster owner, they don’t buy new bikes every couple of years, they keep and love what they have. Without new buyers Ducati would fail quickly, same as everyone else in the industry especially the smaller manufacturers.

I like the specs on new bike, looking forward to having a spin on one when possible. As for the looks, I’ll reserve judgement until I see one for real and well you can’t see most of it when you’re riding it, which, after all is what a motorcycle is all about.

Ped
Old 06-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #114
slob

none of them are bevels... splitters ;-)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #115
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I get the need for new buyers and that things have moved on. I'm all for progress and change. I'm not wedded to a trellis or a v2. I do want a Monster to be a motorcycling event though, like the original was. I want it to be a poster bike, original, unlike other bikes, immediately recognisable 'look, a monster'. I wasn't that into bikes when the Monster came out but when I saw one it was immediately added to the 'if I ever buy a bike' list, also the 'that would look good as a piece of art' list. Ok you can't expect every Ducati to be on that list but at least they seem to have tried in the past. Someone gave up here and the brief must of been 'make it look better than chinese bikes' and they have failed to hit even that low bar.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #116
jerry
Old Git

If they sell well good for Ducati ,, and we will be wrong ,, if they dont sell well , a new concept will replace it in 2-3 years time .. the market is the true test
Old 15-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #117
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Popped into Moto Rapido the other day and, while there, had a chat with Craig and Luke about the new Monster. Craig confirmed that the "Monsterart" feature from the 696/796/1100 has been reintroduced and alternative tank panels will be available. Unlike the earlier incarnation, these new covers will be held on by just one screw each, rather than the 10+ you need to remove on the 696/796/1100.

Kerb weight is 188kg, (one kg less than I'd guessed), which is the same as was claimed for my 1100 Evo. The 950 Multistrada and Hypermotard have been dynoed at around 105hp, so I'd expect similar or a bit less for the Monster. Since 100hp was claimed for the Evo and 110hp for the new Monster, I'd be interested to compare the two on the road. Might have to book a test ride in the new year. (The first examples should be arriving around April.)

In the meantime, here's a fun "reimagining" of the new Monster:

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 06:02 AM   #118
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
wow that says it all. that if you google image search a picture of the new monster it thinks its a yamaha tracer!
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 06:08 AM   #119
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Made me smile when they searched using a picture of a new grey Monster, and google thought it was a Tracer...

Which about sums it up.

edit - and it seems others think the same !
Old 16-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #120
jerry
Old Git

Thr new MotoGuzzi V7 with the new 850 engine looks very nice and now 65hp with loads of torque