Old 04-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #91
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
PED / Albie

Trust you to come along and add reasonable & rational argument
I do consider myself to have tasted the new with some negativity and in the end you cannot please all. I never like the 696. I liked the 1100. I preferred the EVO after. I never wanted an 821 or 1200 but I dont despise them. I am warming to them now just like people hated that 749/999. Taking a bit of time looking at the new bike I hate the tank front. I think the indicators are mad being placed there. Had they been side repeaters fair enough if the Dutch some in the headlight. Too much ground clearance means the tanks squashed. I get there direction but I dont like the bikes non identity. Prefer my Scrambler and hate the 1100 scrambler. They ruined that too in 3 years.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #92
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Hmmm, quite a bit of negativity here. Let's review a selection of opinions...

Oh, wait, my mistake, these were all about the 696 when it was first revealed!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=25205

Plus ça change...!

and I still dont like 696 all these years later ,,,,, its all wrong visually
Old 04-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #93
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
With my sensible head on, I think that perhaps we're the problem... I'm not going to swap my S2r, others have said the same so where do Ducati get it's sales from going forward because they won't get it from us.

So now they're aiming at the sales from other manufacturers but there's only a finite amount of people in the market for a stupidly fast naked bike and there are lots to choose from that all look and perform very similar. If it goes as well as they say then this may become the next LC / Fireblade / R1 and perhaps the original Monster as a land mark motorcycle (although it's only 10hp more than a Street Triple and the same dry weight so perhaps not that different) or it may just disappear as a footnote when ICE is no longer the engine of choice.

It is a shame that it hasn't followed the Monster DNA more closely but then compare a Thunderace against one of the first R1s or whatever preceded the first 'blades. And to be honest, VAG are not exactly known for interesting designs...
Old 05-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #94
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
I dont think we are the problem. I think ducati as a brand probably more than any other manufacturer retains its customers and takes great pride in that. I myself know that there are plenty of other bikes that are technically superior/faster but its not just about that, its about the style and that you dont even have to be riding it. Sometimes am happy to just pop in the garage to have a look at them or clean them. Its the way they makes you feel. 'The look back effect' i think of it. You park up somewhere and are walking away will a bike make you have a glance back and make you smile?

Take the Pani's. I know they were slated when released and not considered a true ducati due to losing the belts and frame but looks wise very much still ducati and i think a lot of traits going back even to 916 are carried over. so much so i bought one. However this new monster, as with a lot of the new bikes i.e. trident, 1100 scrambler look awful.

id much rather have something that looks amazing than can knock 5 seconds per lap off the old models lap times. Im not currently looking for another one. And as many others have already said selling my original shape monster would never be even considered but would always like more stablemates. I Think id be looking at a Vitpilen 701 now as despite being a marmite bike oozes design and looks like nothing else.

something maybe ducati should have done. I wouldnt hate it so much if it just looked good. looked Ducati. Looked special.
other than the launch pics colour combination (im bias i know) there is not a single design element i like on it.

Also it is the name that bugs me. That its not a ducati monster but a Monster by ducati like they are doing the whole scrambler brand thing again.

its not perfect my any means but how much better does a naked SS look. still 'looks' ducati.

Last edited by smiffyraf1; 05-12-2020 at 09:55 AM..
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #95
slob

That’s mint
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #96
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It's ironic that the SS looks more Monster than the 'actual' Monster to me.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #97
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffyraf1 View Post
its not perfect my any means but how much better does a naked SS look. still 'looks' ducati.

Now that, just like the earlier Monsters and unlike the latest one, is a poster you'd put on the wall.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #98
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It's ironic that the SS looks more Monster than the 'actual' Monster to me.
Something to do with it sharing the 1200 Monster's frame perhaps?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #99
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Good call Smiffy!

Ducati had the answer all along. They could have fielded the SS and something very similar to that naked version as a Monster, along side each other.
Just like a company of that name did in the seventies with the 750GT and 750 Sport.

Now there are two motorcycles of enduring eye candy.. Especially if you pop little Kiera in the saddle with some designer gear on!! (Don't ask me what she's selling though!)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #100
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Good call Smiffy!

Ducati had the answer all along. They could have fielded the SS and something very similar to that naked version as a Monster, along side each other.
Which is exactly what they’ve been doing since the SS was launched - its based on the 1200 Monster, why would they continue?

I hear the 1200 has now ceased production, back in July
Old 05-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #101
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

If I had the money which I dont I quite like it only in the silver grey with red wheels to sit with my m900. Senna ish look is ok with me. I think I would be happy enough with it as a solo bike but never a 2 up. Caroline hated the 748 pillion and that's better. But I'm never going to own one.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #102
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Now that, just like the earlier Monsters and unlike the latest one, is a poster you'd put on the wall.

Now thats the BizNiz ,, mega spot on purrfect
Old 05-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #103
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
What a load of ****e. What they are saying here is the 821 was a mistake.

This must have been designed by Whitty, Johnson, Vallance, with all the style and panache of Handcock.

I'll keep my now more desirable 1100s.

Last edited by Mossleymonster; 05-12-2020 at 06:14 PM..
Mossleymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #104
slob

No they aren’t, they’re saying things have moved on in the last six years
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #105
Darkness

The original Monster took the frame swingarm and rear suspension from the current Ducati Superbike and fitted the more “Cooking” engine and front forks from the Supersport.

Why should we be surprised if they repeat that recipe for the new one?

A difference between the new one and the original Monster is that the new one is a “Munter” rather than a “Monster”.

The lines don’t flow on the new one whereas the original was acclaimed for its looks