UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Flaky engine paint

Old 05-02-2018, 02:41 AM   #1
JayJosephS4RS

Flaky engine paint

Forgive me, I know this issue has been discussed to death...

I’m looking for recommendations for reputable paint shops that can repaint my engine. It’s a 2006 S4RS with 4.5k on the clock and although the bike is overall a solid 9-10/10 it is starting to show a few small spots of paint flaking/bubbling. A small section around the left side clutch casing near the top edge of the case, a larger section of bubbling near the rear shock and typically underneath the sump where gravel rash has occurred. Everywhere else the coating is perfect.

Although not detrimental in any way, shape, form, or visible unless you’re bent down and up close, it does detract (in my opinion) from the overall, great condition of the bike and it’s niggling the perfectionist in me enough to want to get it sorted.

I’ve trawled the forum threads here for the last 3 hours and while there are lots of interesting threads about self-restorations/home re-builds/which paint/powder/blasting process is best, I can’t find any advice or recommendations from anyone who has employed a reputable bike mechanic/restorer, with specific knowledge of Ducati to do a professional engine re-coat (if I’ve missed something, please let me know)

It probably doesn’t even warrant a total engine off frame repaint... the rest of the engine paint is perfect. I’d be happy with a competent enough professional painter paint matching and touching in the small sections if that could be achieved. As far as I can see the areas in question are pretty well accessible but I don’t have the time, inclination or skill to take this job on myself. I’m good with servicing/fettling/replacing exterior parts but I just don’t fancy opening cans of worms at the minute and I’m not much of a garage project guy at this stage in life so I’d rather employ someone to do a job that I don’t want to touch. While the threads I’ve read are all very interesting and hugely educating... I’m really looking for specific advice about paying someone to do this for me and who the best person might be.

I’m happy to use a reputable forum member to do the work if they are capable, proven and have the time...??

I spoke to a lady today via Facebook who had her M900 lightly restored by Ducati Wolverhampton which entailed a full engine repaint (frame on, in situ) and full bolt replacement. It looks absolutely glorious, factory box fresh condition. I will try them this but being a main dealer I guess my wallet is going to take a beating??

I’ve burnt just about all of the available midnight oil I have searching the internet trying to gain an informed judgement about who to use/not to use so any advice/recommendations would be hugely appreciated! If anyone has employed a professional to rectify their engine paint issues I’d be keen to see and hear about it.

Cheers all ����

Jay

Last edited by JayJosephS4RS; 05-02-2018 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
littlejimmy12

PM Sent - RPM Bikes in Northampton

I've done it myself with zero knowledge, just time, a manual and help on here. It is a massive job and you need the right space.

Last edited by littlejimmy12; 05-02-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Old 05-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
davkyt

Neil at Cornerspeed has a paint guy close by to him..... Which would mean you could her the whole thing done in one
Old 05-02-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
JayJosephS4RS

Thanks for the recommends chaps. Will pay a visit to RPM soon as the weather improves and Cornerspeed if RPM can’t sort...

Appreciated!!
Old 08-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
DukeSixNineSix

Hi Jay.

I recently reached out to Rosso Corse in London about repainting the engine on my M696. Here was my response from them:

"If you bring us the bike complete and get it back complete I'd say at a guess 10/12 hours at £50 per hour plus VAT (£600/720) plus vapour blasting and paint. I send the heads off for vapour blasting, so insure shipping would be added to the bill also at about £20 each way. The sub frame on 696's has to be removed to get the rear head off, so it gets tricky".

At this point I'm unsure how long I'll keep the bike, so probably can live with a slight cosmetic annoyance. Hope this helps!

Tom
Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Hi Jay, I have the same problem on my S4r - I just masked off the area around the sump, removed the pipes, rubbed down with 240/400/600 wet & dry then sprayed it with smooth silver hammerite - it's not a perfect match but because of the angle of the deep sump you don't really notice it, it's very durable and fairly heat resistant ( I used it on my air cooled 900 head & barrels with good effect)
It's really not that hard to do yourself and makes you bond with and therefore proper own your bike.
Happy monstering ��
Mark64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark64 View Post
Hi Jay, I have the same problem on my S4r - I just masked off the area around the sump, removed the pipes, rubbed down with 240/400/600 wet & dry then sprayed it with smooth silver hammerite - it's not a perfect match but because of the angle of the deep sump you don't really notice it, it's very durable and fairly heat resistant ( I used it on my air cooled 900 head & barrels with good effect)
It's really not that hard to do yourself and makes you bond with and therefore proper own your bike.
Happy monstering ��
Your bike looked mint when I last saw it so can vouch for your painting skills
Old 09-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
Cheers Ben, not bad for rattle cans eh?
Mark64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
JayJosephS4RS

Thanks for the stellar recommendations chaps. If I can only see it when crouched down with my face 6” from the engine, then I can probably live with it for now. If it’s noticable when out in the cold light of day, and I’m stood up, a foot away, I’ll look at sorting it...

Definitely don’t want to do an engine off jobbie if it can at all be helped. The areas really are quite small and insignificant but the rest of the bike is so gleamy I always find it a shame when there are parts that are not so... mainly because I’m a bell with a little ocd and can’t for the love of god get discrepancies out of my swede once I notice them. The sump I could hammerite no problem as it’s fairly exposed and easy to work/mask.

Will see how it goes

Last edited by JayJosephS4RS; 14-02-2018 at 04:32 PM..

Tags
flaky engine paint, restoration