UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Fork drop through?

Old 27-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Redders

Bike: M900sie
Fork drop through?

My forks on my 900 sie look to be dropped through the yolks be quite a bit, would anyone have a measurement so I can check ?thanks
Redders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
vince53

Bike: M1100s
the drop through alters the "turn in " so to speak , more drop through the quicker it turns in ,the less the slower it turns in , i had about 15mm to 20mm drop through on mine it was nice and handled fine , there should be lines around the top of the forks so you can try whats best for you * ) , im sure some one will come along with factory standard .... Lud's usally your man ..
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
My first Monster was a 900Sie like yours but it was a while back and my memory's not what it was...

My first Monster was a 900Sie like yours but it was a while back and my memory's not what it was. If I remember correctly, the standard height results in about 20mm of fork top showing above the top yoke. I think the workshop manual said the distance from the top of the bottom yoke to the top of the fork was either 280mm or 296mm so you could see how that looks. If you can't get to 296mm because the fork tops hit the bars, then the 280mm is probably correct. How much fork top is currently showing?
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My forks show 20mm out of the yoke, that's to the top of the flat on the fork end, not to the top of the hexagon.

20mm is about as far out as they will go without hitting the handlebars, which, incidentally are mounted on higher risers on the Sie.

It's all relative really, if you play around with the rear ride height then you should adjust the front to suit as well. unless you're looking to change the handling characteristics.

If you have less fork out of the yoke then it will require more steering effort but be more stable, more out of the yoke will lighten the steering but slightly reduce stability.

In conjunction with the rear ride height; raising the rear does the same as dropping the front and vice versa. Obviously if you wish to retain your present geometry then you need to do the same to both ends.

You're not likely to make it dangerous by over adjusting but do make sure that both forks are the same amount above the yokes.

I seem to remember the 280 and 296 measurements from the bottom yoke don't make much sense. I wouldn't worry too much if yours's doesn't match those figures.
Old 27-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Depends whether it's an Sie or ie according to the MY00 manual
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Depends whether it's an Sie or ie according to the MY00 manual
I wonder if that is to do with the ie's having the later ST type frame while most of the Sie's still had the old M900 frame, with the suspension hoop? There was a slight difference in the frame geometry between them iirc.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
A good point from Mr G - all measurements should be taken to the flat part of the fork tops, not to the top of the adjusters.

Thanks for those, slob. I see the measurements are taken from the bottom of the lower yoke, not the top, as I had thought. Confusingly,(for me anyway), the measurements for my Evo are taken from the top of the lower yoke.

For what it's worth, here's a publicity shot of the 900 Sie showing the amount of fork above the yoke as a guide. (Of course, there's no guarantee that they were correctly set up for the photo!)

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Darkness

Bike: M900
The top yoke looks to be central to the machined part of the fork leg.
Old 27-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I wonder if that is to do with the ie's having the later ST type frame while most of the Sie's still had the old M900 frame, with the suspension hoop? There was a slight difference in the frame geometry between them iirc.
Depends 900(S)ie is the last of the hoop frames 2000/2001. With the older yokes.
The S4 arrives with the tie-rod rear suspension in 2001/2002.
There was a 2002 900ie with the newer frame/yokes.
Luddite’s pic is the earlier type with two pinch bolts each side on the top yoke.

Last edited by slob; 27-10-2020 at 03:25 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote