UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newbie needs advice for the long ride South.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
ceedub

Newbie needs advice for the long ride South.

Hello all

Am just new to the site (and Hampshire area) and could do with picking your brains over to see exactly what I should be checking out on my 600 Dark before a LONG journey. Here's the situation:

I've just recently moved to Alton, and currently my bike's at home in Scotland - about an hour North of Inverness & around 600 odd miles from here

Due to moving around a lot (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Highlands, here) it's been off the road and dry stored for over a year now ("he cringes"). I'd been turning it over fairly regularly before moving down here & it had a couple of blats around the backroads now and then, but hasn't been further than a few miles in a LONG time. The MOT is out of course, so i'd planned to book it in somewhere down here, take a train North and ride back down over a couple of days.

To the best of my (extremely limited) knowledge it's mechanically sound, it always starts on the button, has never left any puddles on the floor and has only done 2600 miles.

Bearing in mind how long it's been standing what should I be checking on it before I make the journey? Should I even make the journey? Should I get it MOT'd up there instead & then ride back down after?

Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated, as i'm really kinda concerned about doing such a long stretch on a bike that's been stood so long!

Thanks in advance

Dub