UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Multibike with Mods

Old 21-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Multibike with Mods

Can you list all the insurance companies that do Multi bike insurance and are not allergic to mods?

My insurance came up with ebike. 2nd renewal and again price is lower but I guess it is good to shop around from time to time.

I know off ebike, Bennets any other?

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Footman James multi bikes, but I'm not sure if they only do classic bikes. I have a classic policy with them with some modern stuff added too. But there is the inevitable 'garaged clause' which I think more and more seem to be adopting regarding theft. I thought that Carole Nash did too, but have heard on here that they can penalise for mods, but not looked into myself. I'm sure a lot of folk don't claim many mods anyway, how many can hold their hand up and say they have a 100% standard bike anyway especially as original parts wear out and are replaced with in a lot of cases with superior more modern stuff?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
I know of a guy with a modified monster. He uses Carole Nash with a custom policy and has declared everything and it came out reasonable. Not sure if this can be done with multiple bikes?
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I might declare my mods next year, maybe.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Well I have a garage so all good there.

I do not declare all the mods. Come on.

Forks yes, rear shock yes, Big bore yes, full exhaust yes, custom rims yes, rider pegs yes and that is about where I end.

Carbon fibre - maybe

Open airbox no, custom dash no, custom paintjob no, lightened engine internals no, custom handlebars no, custom cooling no and some other bits and pieces.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 21-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien666 View Post
I know of a guy with a modified monster. He uses Carole Nash with a custom policy and has declared everything and it came out reasonable. Not sure if this can be done with multiple bikes?
My Monster is extensively modified, as is my 916. I've got them both on a custom, multibike policy with Carole Nash, all mods declared and therefore covered and with agreed value (due to the mods) in excess of double the 'market' value for both.

Price is reasonable IMO, but reasonably priced insurance is about the only benefit, apart from a bus pass (and I'm not that old) of being an old fart...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Duke how did you get the valuation done? Was it pop in to mechanic or they sent someone?

It is to late for me to do that but I might do it when I finish rebuilding it this time

"I am Lucazade"
Old 21-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

How on earth do you declare an ex BSB Promotive Ti exhaust system that when new cost a fair bit more than the bike is worth now? Should I just insure the exhaust an not bother about the bike?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Well I have a full system for my m900 just not TI and it costs less then stock system as replacement so a should I declare that and ask for my money back

"I am Lucazade"
Old 21-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
Duke how did you get the valuation done? Was it pop in to mechanic or they sent someone?

It is to late for me to do that but I might do it when I finish rebuilding it this time
I told them what mods, along with the costs and then I propose a value which they either agree with or haggle.

With the 916 they knocked me down £500 but for the Monster they simply agreed with my proposal.

Old 22-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
tricolore

I'm with Carole Nash and they allow up to 4 or 6 modifications. When I mentioned Ohlins suspension they wouldn't insure the bike. When I rang back and declared suspension improvements for handling purposes they were fine. Who knows what will happen if it's crashed but I feel better than if I said nothing I suppose.
tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricolore View Post
I'm with Carole Nash and they allow up to 4 or 6 modifications. When I mentioned Ohlins suspension they wouldn't insure the bike. When I rang back and declared suspension improvements for handling purposes they were fine. Who knows what will happen if it's crashed but I feel better than if I said nothing I suppose.
When I first contacted CN with regards to the 916 and told them how many mods they suggested a 'custom' policy (specifically designed for custom bikes). They sent me a form to list the mods by name, cost, how much more power etc.

I returned this along with 4 pictures (left, right, front and rear) this gave me full cover for mods and the agreed value based on my estimate. The cost of this policy was around 50% more than the cheapest standard bike policy that I had found, so quite reasonable considering the mods and, especially the agreed value.

When I stuck the Monster onto the policy as a multibike they charged me around £80 extra which I thought was reasonable for comprehensive cover and a £7k agreed value

Old 22-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
Dukedesmo

Oddly, the insurance company that seem the most shocked by the amount of mods I had made to the 916 was 'Ducati insurance' - you'd think they'd appreciate a smattering of Ohlins, Termignoni, Marchesini & Brembo...