UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » The 1200r is dead, long live the 1200r

Old 16-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
The 1200r is dead, long live the 1200r

I was chatting to my local dealer, recently about whether to chop in my 12r for a new one or keep my present ride.
They informed me the 1200r has been dropped. Ducati's reasoning is they want potential buyers to purchase a Streetfighter rather than a Monster 1200r. Apparently production of the 1200r stopped earlier this year to enable any stock either at the importers or dealers to be sold.
Old 16-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Moco1961

Interesting but I guess makes a bit of sense, correct me if I am wrong but the 1200s is still in the monster stable though ?
Old 16-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Jeez! When I read the headline I thought you had totalled your bike!

So, you'll be keeping this one then?
Old 16-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
Personally I'm surprised they've carried on with the Monster for as long as they have.

In my eyes it's only really been a Monster in name to carry on the line for a number of years now.

The original Streetfighter was more 'Monster' than the Monsters of the time and although the Scrambler looks to a time through rose tinted glasses, it now carries the accessory catalogue for owners to add their touches to the motorcycle in the same way the original Monsters did until the shape had the major facelift.

But even the Scrambler is in danger of ending up like Vegas era Elvis with the 1100 motor but I suppose it's customer driven with people wanting bigger and better all the time.

I know times change and the modern bikes are probably far better than the originals but ridiculous power, rider modes and quickshifters were never what the Monster was about.

......or maybe I'm getting old

Last edited by Flip; 16-11-2019 at 07:51 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Been missing from big D's website since the start of the year.

I'd also haxard a guess that from a technical point of view the '17 on 1200S is more a more advanced bike with all the extra electronic gizmos. I'd better replace my R sooner rather than later then!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
I'm not sure how long the 1200R was in production, not for very long is my impression. A collector's bike for the future?
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
slob

‘14 to ‘18

still the best road bike I’ve ever ridden, should have taken better care of mine
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
Interesting but I guess makes a bit of sense, correct me if I am wrong but the 1200s is still in the monster stable though ?
Yes the s is still manufactured. I popped to the Ducati stand whilst at the NEC today, there was the s large as life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Jeez! When I read the headline I thought you had totalled your bike!

So, you'll be keeping this one then?
It's silly season at work, running a plg & htg Co on the run up to Christmas means in working 14+ hrs mon to fri, plus Saturday's for 5-8 hrs. Wish I had time to ride any of my bikes!
From the first time the R was ridden away from the dealer, I knew it's a keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
‘14 to ‘18

still the best road bike I’ve ever ridden, should have taken better care of mine
Totally agree Rob. Amazing bike.
Old 16-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
Doggy

Bike: M796
I could never understand how the S had more gadgets and a quickshifter and the R didn't?
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Flip, I struggle with all the electronics on a modern bike. I'm no luddite to technology, but prefer to have more of an interaction with the bike. My R is permanently in sport mode with the gismos turned down as far as possible.
Old 16-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
Personally I'm surprised they've carried on with the Monster for as long as they have.

In my eyes it's only really been a Monster in name to carry on the line for a number of years now.

The original Streetfighter was more 'Monster' than the Monsters of the time and although the Scrambler looks to a time through rose tinted glasses, it now carries the accessory catalogue for owners to add their touches to the motorcycle in the same way the original Monsters did until the shape had the major facelift.

But even the Scrambler is in danger of ending up like Vegas era Elvis with the 1100 motor but I suppose it's customer driven with people wanting bigger and better all the time.

I know times change and the modern bikes are probably far better than the originals but ridiculous power, rider modes and quickshifters were never what the Monster was about.

Totally agree Flip, though perhaps the market for gizmoless bikes is fading away? Not that it matters to me, I bought an original Monster for all the reasons they were introduced, and will have it for the foreseeable future. I have no interest at all in 150+bhp nor amazing electronics. I'm sure they are great, but its not my style.

Chacun son goût.
Old 17-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #12
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post

Yep, ya gettin’ old! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
‘14 to ‘18

Yes you should have... not to mention your good self too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Flip, I struggle with all the electronics on a modern bike. I'm no luddite to technology, but prefer to have more of an interaction with the bike. My R is permanently in sport mode with the gismos turned down as far as possible.
Ditto. At Rob has said, the 12R is by far the best road bike I’ve ridden in 30+ years, it’s permanently in Sport (I can’t remember how to change it) and have everything else dialled down.

Keeping mine

Ped
Old 17-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
davkyt

I don’t like the v4 street fighter at all....

Now a v4 Monster 🤔......
Old 17-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #14
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
Saw the street fighter today, underwhelmed unfortunately

Maybe I was expecting too much 😂
Old 17-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #15
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksurfer View Post
Saw the street fighter today, underwhelmed unfortunately

Maybe I was expecting too much ��
Ran an eye over the Streetfighter yesterday whilst wondering around the show.
I thought it's looks were bland and looking at the finish on some of the parts, hopefully either the display model has done the rounds or, it's pre-production.

Last edited by Grumpy; 18-11-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote