UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Ducati Monster 900 rebuild

Old 05-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #181
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
or Albie ...
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #182
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
or Albie ...
Early model had a plate fixed left rear frame. I have seen other models under seat part of frame.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #183
buzzer

Well here it is finished.. fitted a belly pan as I quite like them... roll on summer!

I quite fancy doing an S2R next if anyone knows of a suitable bike...

Last edited by buzzer; 14-03-2021 at 09:39 AM..
buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #184
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
What a transformation! And all in only four months too. Lovely job.

As a former owner of an S2R 1000, I'd be interested to see you restore one of those.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #185
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Lovely looking bike - a credit to you
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 09:35 AM   #186
buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
What a transformation! And all in only four months too. Lovely job.

As a former owner of an S2R 1000, I'd be interested to see you restore one of those.

4 months... well there has not been a lot else I can do with lockdown
Old 17-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #187
buzzer

I have been putting a few miles on the bike, and bedding it in… it really is a nice bike to ride!

one of the things I have found difficult is the gear change. the distance between the footrest and the lever is a little too short for me. I checked on line but I couldn’t see any longer alternatives, so I decided to make one. I cut the profile out of some 10mm plate with a jigsaw, and TIG welded the parts together… then I filled it to shape, it took a while but it was strangely satisfying! finally I drilled the holes, and found an Olite bush the right size for the pivot. much better now!

Old 17-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #188
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The bike is looking great actually btw, probably just how I would want mine to look.

I think the standard footpegs are rubbish too (foot position and levers) and like most would probably go for aftermarket rearsets as I did, but then I don't think we ever expected anything less than a bespoke solution for your build?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #189
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Lovely! You can't beat a bit of shinola.

I bought a (cheap) set of cored and polished silencers shortly after buying my 900, but chappie had polished off the anodising from the start with a mop and the result is not only hard work for him but as soon as the mop penetrates the hard anodised surface it digs in the ally. They were quite rippled and I could never flatten them out.
I've recently done another set and started with an orbital sander with a flat pad to get the anodise off. This left them flat and polishing was a doddle.
Old post I know, but Im just going through Buzzers build and making notes.
I use NaOH (drain cleaner) to strip anodising, comes off in 10 mins or so, you do need to keep a careful eye on it, though. I did it for the wheels on the XR before I rebuilt them. Wet and dryed out the worst marks, red scotchbrite and WD40, then a medium vapour blast before re-anodising. Thats what I want to do with any cans I get, but there doesnt seem to be a reasonable way to get the sleeve on and off.
Old 21-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #190
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I've not previously researched this subject, as I've never had to split my crankcases but, having a look at my reference books, I see that the workshop manual does actually explain how to carry out, what they call, the "Practical Method", as used by Andy in his video.

I'm sure you know this already, Richard, but, for the benefit of anyone else contemplating this job, here's the relevant extract from my Evo manual.

Note that, while the workshop manual specifies a preload of 0.3mm, another engine rebuild book I have suggests that a better figure is between 0.15mm and 0.20mm.

Out of interest, Richard, what preload have you used?
Sorry, resurrecting an old post.

I have read this "practical " method and watched the video of the same.
In that method there you can only simply divide the clearance (plus .3mm preload ) by 2 and distribute evenly to each side of the crank.
In the "full" Method you have the opprtunity to shim on each side to exactly centralise the crank on the centreline of the casings.
I guess that not doing so makes negligible difference, does it?
Old 24-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #191
buzzer

I don't think a couple of thou makes any difference in centralising the crank...

On another note I went into the garage the other day and there was a strong smell of petrol... I sniffed around both bikes and it was stronger near the monster... on close inspection it was the fuel line from the tank to the tap, which I had replaced with some tube off Ebay. It had gone soft an porous. Looking back through my purchases and saw I have bought from two different suppliers... One looks to be OK, and the other is DEFINITLY not petrol proof, even though it said it was... I have just replaced it.

this is what I hate about Ebay... two more examples, I bought 10 Sanvick hacksaw blades... they were rubbish, and clearly fake.

what has really annoyed me though is I ordered some 3M wrap for the faded "C" pillars on our Mercedes SLK... I paid well over the odds for what I thought was genuine 3M only to find it has warped and bubbled after a few months. I took a spare piece into a place that does car wrapping and he took one look and said "fake" and showed me some genuine stuff, which was substantially different. you never know with stuff off there!
Old 24-04-2021, 07:04 PM   #192
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzer View Post
I don't think a couple of thou makes any difference in centralising the crank...
Guessed you would be talking about very small differences.
Yep, you just never know with ebay
Old 29-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #193
buzzer

the bike is going well! although i did run out of petrol the other day... looks like the reserve light does not work!

I made a couple if risers yesterday as I wanted the handlebars a bit higher...I could probably bought them for a few pounds but where is the fun in that �� made on my old milling machine which dates from the early 30's... no CNC here although i have now gone digital ��

Old 05-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #194
buzzer

My new project has arrived! It’s a 1999 M900. It has 9,000 miles on it. It was delivered by a courier from the North who I will definitely use again, he was brilliant! https://srcoupland.com/

I bought the bike sight unseen, save for a few pictures. It’s a none runner at the moment so who knows, but I bought it on that basis. I will attempt to start it over the next few days. When it arrived it was exactly as described, and I was very happy, especially after I sprayed the whole bike with gunk a couple of times and let it soak in for a few hours. Then a good jet wash and it has come up pretty well! It spins over OK, and I have checked the compression and that is all good.

Not sure what I will do with this one yet… it’s almost too good as it is for a full restoration, so I will get it running and then make a decision from there. It also has an interesting registration number that will appeal I guess to someone with say a new Ducati V4 as that is still an L 90 degree configuration!

Once I decide what I am doing, I will probably start a new thread…

Last edited by buzzer; 05-05-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #195
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That doesn't look too bad at all! and pretty in Blue.
It has adjustable forks and Goldline brakes. Well definitely Goldline levers, but I can't quite make out the caliper detail. Also seems to have the twin clock nacelle. I had a '98 which only had a speedo and the earlier brakes.

Interesting spec evolution. I wonder if you have V2 heads? As you probably gathered I'm always looking to see if it's an elusive "S" model. You have rubber covered footrests, so maybe?
Floating cast iron discs would confirm it, but they do look a bit too silver?