UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » My S2R 800

Old 20-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #76
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
Ordered custom lines from these people and they were with me a couple of days later - they even added an ebay listing so I could buy a set for the Mito ! Absolute pleasure to deal with.

Hoses are now fitted, I asked for them to be shorter than stock with 90 degree bends at the bottom, however after much faffing, I've put them on 'upside down' so the 90 degree bends are at the top and 45 degree bends at the bottom. The right way round meant that they hit the mud guard and tbh, it looks better from the master cylinder that way. They were a pain to bleed though as the hoses run horizontal from the master cylinder. Pics to follow when it isn't raining.

So that's the suspension done, brakes done, it has loads of carbon fibre bits, full termis plus dynojet and so on so it's done then ! Finally completed and it needs nothing else !

Err, no the tank continues to swell so I need to sort that properly but the only problem is that 'properly' probably means a metal tank...
Good luck with the tank,I have the same problem with my S4RS. There are second hand tanks available but can be expensive.

I was sent this link from my cousin http://thetankshop.com/ but haven't pursued it yet and not sure in fact if they are still in operation.If you make any progress please let me know.

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #77
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I'm glad OHAMotorsport looked after you. I really like dealing with them.
Not sure if you realised that with the Hel lines, you can rotate the banjos relative to the ends of the lines by gripping them firmly in two pairs of good pliers and gently but firmly twisting them round. It's very handy to be able to take the twist out of the lines and line the banjos up perfectly.

I've bought Titanium from Titan Classics; very good quality. I'm colluding with the owner to get the correct stainless or Ti R-clips made for the pad pins. Having only been able to find the correct size in BZP.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mo...72.m2749.l2649

I also get on well with RSR Moto who stock some nice Ti bolts, again very good quality and good to deal with.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-Titan...72.m2749.l2649
You could try these: -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-CLIPS-B...kAAOSwDdRdng1z

I recently changed my pad pins to titanium ones, I think from the same place but I found the r clips on the old pins were already stainless, not sure if they were standard Brembo they looked ok and not damaged so I re-used them.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #78
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I suspect the original R-clips are stainless but mine were slightly magnetic. Not a definitive test for stainless, I know and it is a very strong magnet too.

Tell the truth I dropped one of the clips on the workshop floor and the naughty faeries scuttled off with it! That was the cue to get the Ti pins thinking they would come with new R-clips, but alas not!

I also bought some of the smallest size clips from the source you linked to, but even the smallest is too big for the Goldline pins and yet bizarrely too loose.

I got 1mm x 17mm in the end and they fit properly but I could only find bzp.
Old 20-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #79
Moco1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
Good luck with the tank,I have the same problem with my S4RS. There are second hand tanks available but can be expensive.

I was sent this link from my cousin http://thetankshop.com/ but haven't pursued it yet and not sure in fact if they are still in operation.If you make any progress please let me know.

Kimbo
I am sad to say my S2R 1000 tank has succumbed to the curse over the winter too ! Not swelling but what I can only describe as a rash.......... like all over the tank. When I took the cover off I thought it was condensation.

I have come to the same conclusion as you both, if you are interested I have contacted a guy in Italy who will oblige.....I am trying to make sense of import taxes at the moment before I place an order. let me know if you want details..... dont want to hi- jack the thread... sorry Anthony .
Old 20-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #80
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I suspect the original R-clips are stainless but mine were slightly magnetic. Not a definitive test for stainless, I know and it is a very strong magnet too.

Tell the truth I dropped one of the clips on the workshop floor and the naughty faeries scuttled off with it! That was the cue to get the Ti pins thinking they would come with new R-clips, but alas not!

I also bought some of the smallest size clips from the source you linked to, but even the smallest is too big for the Goldline pins and yet bizarrely too loose.

I got 1mm x 17mm in the end and they fit properly but I could only find bzp.
It's weird since they clearly show the clips fitting the Brembo caliper but it does say 20mm and from what I can see most of the others are 20mm too.

Old 20-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #81
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
I am sad to say my S2R 1000 tank has succumbed to the curse over the winter too ! Not swelling but what I can only describe as a rash.......... like all over the tank. When I took the cover off I thought it was condensation.

I have come to the same conclusion as you both, if you are interested I have contacted a guy in Italy who will oblige.....I am trying to make sense of import taxes at the moment before I place an order. let me know if you want details..... dont want to hi- jack the thread... sorry Anthony .
Thanks Mike,I'm sure Anthony won't mind the thread hi-jack,it's a relevant topic.Yes,please let me know how you get on with the Italian guy,I'm still looking for an engineering solution when my very busy engineer friend gets time to check it out.

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #82
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
The hoses are fine and tbh I wouldn't be happy twisting the banjos, they are after all my brakes and have been made by people who know what they're doing. I don't need titanium pins (or nipples) as the calipers came with them, the bolts have been replaced with new plated steel (grade 12.9!) and are looking shiny.

No worries on the thread hi-jack about the tank, "tecknorace" in Italy is a name I have having searched, and there's a thread on here and other forums about the tank geoffduk (?) got for his monster that seems a bit lush.

it's just the £2k for a tank I'm struggling to hide from the wife, no, err justify as it'll mean I've spent more on upgrades to the suspension, brakes and tank than it cost to buy the thing in the first place. Mind you, with all the changes I've made and those done by others, it's probably worthless now...

Anyway, if you factor in man maths, it'll cost about £1700 for a new plastic tank from Ducati that will then need to be sealed and may expand in the future so it'll probably cost the same as an alloy one in the long run...

Last edited by Blah blah; 20-02-2021 at 05:30 PM..
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 05:17 PM   #83
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Re, alu tank If we are talking about technorace in Italy, then following a very helpful exchange with Geoff on here to get some views and advice (he I think pioneered getting one from them). I ordered one, not with me yet but production very much underway all looking good so far. My S2R 1000 is a forever bike for me, tank issue not so bad on mine but it still spoiled my expensive custom paint job, so I’m doing what I can to upgrade it/future proof it whilst special parts etc are reasonably available... obviously it’s not cheap (luckily I’m in EU so not impacted by tax and import duties etc...) but if you’re going to keep your bike long term then it may be worth it to you to know the issue is sorted once and for all.

Cheers

David
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #84
Moco1961

David,

That’s the kiddy, from Geoffs post too!. I mailed them and they got back to me in a couple of hours.

Like you, mines a keeper so although it’s a huge hit there is no saying buying a replacement plastic one won’t do the same thing in the future.I had taken the precautions and it still failed.

I wonder if there are a few of us would they do a group discount
Old 20-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #85
slob

Ride to Italy, swap tanks, sell original on Italian eBay?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 06:14 PM   #86
Moco1961

Brilliant !!, not sure my existing tank would be worth very much though
Old 21-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #87
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Yeah Alu tank is a big ask, but frankly my custom paint job was not cheap, so for me getting that redone on a plastic tank only to risk it happening again was not such an appealing idea... hence getting alu tank. Will be a while before I get it painted and fitted (once it gets delivered) but this at least spreads the costs out and ensures I get alu tank whilst still available... I know many people spent years trying to find one/get one made, so didn’t want to miss the chance. Our bikes getting more niche as the years go by...
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #88
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Anyway, the new brakes work but I think that the new pads (EBC) may take a bit of bedding in as they felt a bit 'dead' to start with but after 70ish miles I didn't notice them as much. I was still trying to feel what was going on at the front though so something else to get used to.

Lever travel wasn't anything excessive or even a concern so I'm going to stick with the master cylinder as that means a bit more in the kitty for the tank
Old 03-04-2021, 07:01 PM   #89
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post

Good luck with that .. as far as I could see when I looked at it you'll get to pay VAT on the item including the shipping cost and then some import duty on top of that. so figure a minimum of 20% and up to 30ish. For the stuff I was looking at it took the overall price well above what you could source in the UK, well where you could actually find what you were after.
The thought in the regs is that the supplier would add the VAT levy then using their newly set up account with IRS pay through that but I don't think many companies will do that unless they have a really substantial UK market as it involves lots of paperwork, submission of trading accounts financial details and other information.
If it was a whole bike then it's even more vague as you seem to have to pay extra on items that aren't standard and the valuation of these is made pretty arbitrarily.
F*****g 'free trade' mess
Old 03-04-2021, 07:13 PM   #90
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It's 20% tax plus shipping. Brexit? What bright sparks voted for that?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: