UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Suspension Rocker Arm Removal M620ie

Old 23-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Bike: S4Rs
Suspension Rocker Arm Removal M620ie

Just spent the best part of the entire day stripping Nonnie's 620ie Monster back down to just the frame and front end. She rode the bike to work on Friday and had complained of rough running/vibration and a briefly flickering followed by a solid oil light for the final minute or so of her journey. I drove over to have a look at the bike and could not see any obvious oil leaks but on the advice of Carl Harrison, did not attempt to re-start it. We had the bike picked up and taken to Carl's for further investigation that afternoon. Received a call on Saturday to say that they had removed the front cylinder head on listening to the engine running and found that the big end bearings have gone. This after a total engine rebuild took place last May. It's suspected that some media, from when the cases were blasted, may have got into an oilway/gallery and damaged the shells. Whatever the cause, I had Carl drop the bike back home (minus the front cylinder head) and began to strip the bike down to remove the engine which is now on a stand and waiting to go off to Carl's on Tuesday for major surgery.

Problem I have is I noticed some cosmetic damage to the previously painted suspension rocker arm which had been removed last year as part of the total ground up restoration. I have removed the nut and bolt retaining it to the frame but cannot seem to remove it. Have tried gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet but no joy. I should add that as part of removing the sick engine, I have taken off the shock, tie rod and swing arm. Can't see what is keeping it in place. Feels almost as though the central machined pivot shaft has migrated to one side or another and is catching on the frame. Any ideas?
Old 23-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Looking at the exploded diagram it looks like a nut and bolt only:-

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Some oil seals, bearings and spacers and that's about it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Looking at the exploded diagram it looks like a nut and bolt only:-

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Some oil seals, bearings and spacers and that's about it.
Yes, thanks. I have already stripped the whole bike down once before for it's ground up restoration last year so I know what components are in it and as said, the nut and bolt are already out. What I am struggling to see is what is preventing me from now removing it, since there is nothing seemingly (visible) that is keeping it in situ. I can only assume the central inner spacer (through which the bolt passes) has migrated to one side and is jammed against the frame, though I believe this to be unlikely, so still no closer to finding a reason and or a solution.
Old 23-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Its a strange one for sure. Its either skewed like you say or it has bent and just needs hitting harder.

Old 23-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

It's out. Few more blows with the rubber mallet. To be honest the hardest part now is going to be waiting for the full diagnosis on what's grenaded itself inside the engine, on Tuesday.
Old 23-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Sorry to hear about Nonnie's bike. Sounds dreadful! I hope it's fixable.

It's in good hands... I might have a ride out to see Carl on Wednesday evening if it's not raining.
Old 24-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-PAN...IAAOSwF09ZdOUp

Old 26-07-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Thanks chaps. Engine is out and waiting to go off to Carls. If it is just the big ends it shouldnt be horrendous. Maybe a few oil seals to replace as the engine was only stripped down last April and fully rebuilt with new bearings etc. Time will tell. It has given me the opportunity to clean the whole bike down now its back into its constituent components. Only the frame, forks, wiring loom,front brakes and wheel are still assembled, as there was no need to disturb them and they are in perfect condition. Managed to have the engine out in three hours, including dis-assembly of the swingarm, rear wheel, chain, footrest hangars, tank, airbox, throttle bodies, seat, rear suspension, breather tank et al.

Last edited by emily's driver; 26-07-2017 at 03:05 AM..
emily's driver is offline   Reply With Quote