UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Yet Another M900 Build

Old 19-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #16
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Please take note of how Darkness spells Elefant in this context, which is correct and not to be confused with an Elephant, which is large, grey and trumpets.. The last thing you want to stamp on your Monster!!.
Old 19-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #17
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The paintwork doesn't look too bad in the photos. Maybe deceiving but if it's serviceable I think it would be good to keep it, it's only original once. I won't say the early black Cagiva era ones are rare but there are certainly a lot more red ones.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #18
PPuxley

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
I don't think even the most enthusiastic "Elephant counters" would know what would be the correct number of Elephants for a 95 bike as by the time it was put together there would have been a mixture of with and without Elephant parts left in the parts bin. You have the most important one I think on the petrol cap. The only other prominent one on my 95 is on the plastic cover between the two plastic covers for the drive belts.
Thanks, i'll look out for the belt cover ones!
Old 19-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #19
PPuxley

Well here's interesting. ive put together a list of what I might need and pinged it off to Craig at Moto Rapido, who said he would provide a quote and the "correct" part numbers appropriate for my bike.
He replied straight awy that he'd put my deets into the Ducati Datbase and look what came back.
I knew it had been registered 1/1/96 and therefore made an assumption that it was manufactured 95, but it is in fact a 94 bike (just) having been made Nov 1994.
Old 19-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #20
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPuxley View Post
Well here's interesting. ive put together a list of what I might need and pinged it off to Craig at Moto Rapido, who said he would provide a quote and the "correct" part numbers appropriate for my bike.
He replied straight awy that he'd put my deets into the Ducati Datbase and look what came back.
I knew it had been registered 1/1/96 and therefore made an assumption that it was manufactured 95, but it is in fact a 94 bike (just) having been made Nov 1994.
It’s still a ‘95 model year bike though as the production changeover occurred in October 94 to suit the timing of the bike shows.

That’ll be why they have titled it MOTO M900 ‘95 EUROPA NERO.
Old 19-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #21
PPuxley

Agreed, Moto Rapidos words on the subject .That was a pretty common theme with Ducati production/sales in the 90s. It’s not that often that we see a bike registered in the same year it was manufactured.

Gazza...I stand corrected on Elefant

Nick, tells me it has an Elefant stamp on the belt cover, so another tick

Darren, not sure about the paint, agree it would be good to keep. Front mudguard will definitely need re-finishing , there is a repair to sort on it at the very least. So once youve sprayed one bit maybe youve got to do the lot. Obviously need to see it to decide. ETA next Saturday.

On the search for cans, sounds like they could be any number of versions (as has been said already) Craig at MR words on it: Random factory choice of Sil Motor or Remus. Looks like pot luck as to what was fitted, so I can't be sure of part number originally fitted to this bike.

Thanks for all your input
Old 19-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #22
PPuxley

Does anyone talk me through, the options for dealing with a piston/cylinder bore beyond spec?
Reading the service manual I can see talk of Silicon carbide coating to the bores....so that means you cant overbore and go with plus size piston and rings, does it?
So only alternative is a whole new barrel? Or replacement sleeves?
It sounds pretty expensive or are you going to tell me they never wear out
Ive no idea what I have yet, just reading the manual.
Old 19-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #23
slob

there are companies out there that offer nikasil replating services, try langcourt.com
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #24
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Does anyone talk me through, the options for dealing with a piston/cylinder bore beyond spec?
When I had my S2R 1000 enlarged to 1100 (or 1078 to be precise) it involved boring out the cylinders, then replating them and finally repainting the exterior. It was over 10 years ago now and I can't remember the cost...but it wasn't cheap! I did it through Moto Rapido.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #25
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

ST2 944 barrels and pistons is probably the cheapest option. Converting the barrels is fairly straightforward.

Old 20-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #26
PPuxley

Thanks. Well hopefully barrels/pistons, is a problem I dont have.

More on Silencers
MR are saying the same as everyone on cans, they cant even say what the numbers should be, so I guess anything that looks right ....is right.
Can anyone tell me: can the whole outer aluminium tube be removed of all its innards? if I want to dip, treat, refinish and reanodise? I couldnt see any rivets, but I have seen photos (Buzzers, I think) where it has a least been slid along, but does it come right off.

Air Filter Cover
Amongst a number, probably, here is the first piece I know I will need
Part no 24610463A and different (I am told when I checked with Moto Rapido) to 24610463B.
Ive looked on ebay, but only find 24610463B, but maybe Theres a better search term than
Ducati Monster M900 airbox top, lid , cover
Is this going to be another part like cans that because people replaced them will be kicking about in peoples lofts and garages?
The intake nozzles 13510082A are still available.

Old 20-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #27
Darkness

Quote:
Thanks. Well hopefully barrels/pistons, is a problem I dont have.

More on Silencers
MR are saying the same as everyone on cans, they cant even say what the numbers should be, so I guess anything that looks right ....is right.
Can anyone tell me: can the whole outer aluminium tube be removed of all its innards? if I want to dip, treat, refinish and reanodise? I couldnt see any rivets, but I have seen photos (Buzzers, I think) where it has a least been slid along, but does it come right off.

Air Filter Cover
Amongst a number, probably, here is the first piece I know I will need
Part no 24610463A and different (I am told when I checked with Moto Rapido) to 24610463B.
Ive looked on ebay, but only find 24610463B, but maybe Theres a better search term than
Ducati Monster M900 airbox top, lid , cover
Is this going to be another part like cans that because people replaced them will be kicking about in peoples lofts and garages?
The intake nozzles 13510082A are still available.

The aluminium sleeves do come off the silencers, but usually put up a fight. Having removed them from the bike, if you remove the two bolts and triangular mounting brackets, you can slide the sleeve forwards till it hits the splayed link pipe.

You can’t slide them back at this stage because of an integral retaining flange in the end cap.

That allows you to cut the back end off the can, and if you beat out the chamfer in the leading edge of the sleeve you can then slide the sleeve off.

The different cans have a variety of chambers and perforated tubes and you can cut out as much or as little as you want.

I have a shortened pair of standard silencers which I don’t now use that you’d be welcome to if you want them. They have had everything removed from inside the sleeve and a straight through perforated pipe and fibreglass packing inserted instead. The end caps are pop rivetted in place, so now very similar to Termi’s!

The same airbox lid is used on the SS 900. I’m sure someone would like your performance one off you as they sound great on full throttle!
Old 20-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #28
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
there are companies out there that offer nikasil replating services, try langcourt.com
TSR do rebored and nikisil plating. Used them for finishing services. Dave is a Ducati guy and very nice bloke too.

https://www.tsrvapourblasting.co.uk/services

Last edited by Albie; 20-04-2021 at 10:19 AM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #29
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If it's been Dynajetted to run with the open cans then the open airbox lid works best with the K&N and is recomnended. If you put the lid and standard cans back on it will most likely run too rich. It may be ok with the standard lid and open cans without changing anything but both probably not so much.

Old 20-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #30
PPuxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
You can’t slide them back at this stage because of an integral retaining flange in the end cap.

That allows you to cut the back end off the can, and if you beat out the chamfer in the leading edge of the sleeve you can then slide the sleeve off.
Right, thanks. All quite doable, for the purposes of modifying but if the sole purpose was to re finish the outer and re-install in perfect condition, I guess the "beat the chamfer out" and the consequent reverse of trying to reform it on assembly rule this out as a renovation method.
So if I want to end up with decent standard silencers , I just need to hold out for a good unmarked set. Time is on my side, theres plenty else to be done.