UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Updated MoT guidance for LED/HID bulbs

Old 12-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Updated MoT guidance for LED/HID bulbs

It has been mentioned before on the forum how aftermarket LED/HID bulbs would not pass the MoT test if they were fitted in standard halogen headlamp units.

Well, from 22 March this year, that guidance has changed again. The new instructions for testers state:

"Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect 'Light source and lamp not compatible'. Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test, and headlamp aim. The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MoT testing service will be removed."

What that means in practice is that, providing the beam pattern is not affected by fitting the new bulbs - i.e. aim and beam cut off remain the same, then you should be ok.

Thanks to this month's Practical Sportsbikes for highlighting that (no pun intended! ).
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
thanks that interesting ,, Never seen an HID that works well on a bike yet ,, but some decent Leds out there for headlights ,, also some crap too
Old 13-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
thanks that interesting ,, Never seen an HID that works well on a bike yet ,, but some decent Leds out there for headlights ,, also some crap too
HID on my 916 works perfectly, has a very precise cut-off etc. just like the original bulb only 2-3 times brighter.

It is a projector style light though (focuses through the lens not the reflector) so position of filament etc. not critical.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The HID I had on my Monster used the original reflector and was very bright but not very controlled with light everywhere which is why I thought the ruling came in because you can blind oncoming traffic?

I recently removed the HID and fitted an LED because of the MOT ruling, so I needn't have bothered?

I've not had any opportunity yet to try the LED out properly since the lockdown.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
The HID I had on my Monster used the original reflector and was very bright but not very controlled with light everywhere
I had similar on my Monster on which I originally had a HID setup; was fine on dip beam but high beam just scattered everywhere.

I have since replaced it with a complete LED headlight unit which works very well.

I have got an LED bulb in my Guzzi headlight (which is actually a Monster headlight unit) and it seems OK but I've not ridden it at night yet. The main reason I did it was to reduce the load on the 1970's charging system.

Both of these bike setups passed MOTs as described, although luckily the Guzzi is now MOT exempt - and free tax, which is nice...

Old 13-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, the Monster headlight is the old Guzzi/Laverda unit, and who could've thought that one up? I had my 1200 Mirage, which I rebuilt from boxes (a complete basket case) on the road and MOT legal for 2 years before some bright spark pointed out that the headlamp was in fact Euro spec and dipped the wrong way!

Old 13-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I rode around on it for 2 years in daylight and never figured out why the headlight was crap!

Old 13-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #8
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Anyone got a link for an LED bulb that will work in my 620 headlamp bowl? I tried one, but it was about 4mm too long and I couldn't get the glass / reflector back in.
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #9
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by velosam View Post
Anyone got a link for an LED bulb that will work in my 620 headlamp bowl? I tried one, but it was about 4mm too long and I couldn't get the glass / reflector back in.
Not sure if the same problem? but the bulb I bought was marginally too long to fit, the extra length being at the back behind the reflector and so would touch the back of the headlight 'bowl'.

I modified the bulb by bending over the connection tabs and soldering an extension lead onto them so that the new plug could sit at the side of the bulb.

Old 13-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
Not sure if the same problem? but the bulb I bought was marginally too long to fit, the extra length being at the back behind the reflector and so would touch the back of the headlight 'bowl'.

I modified the bulb by bending over the connection tabs and soldering an extension lead onto them so that the new plug could sit at the side of the bulb.
Yep, that’s the same issue. Sounds like I could do as you’ve done with some spade connectors and keep the original multi plug at the end of the wiring harness.
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #11
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I've fitted a variety of LED "bulbs" with no problems, even ones with large cooling fan bodies on the back.
I have used these with a selection of 7" reflectors that I fit in the standard Bosch headlamp and rim with an adapter, they all seem to offer much more clearance for the rear LED protuberance than the rather deep standard reflector.

If you want to try a 7" lamp I can sort you out an adapter. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...adlamp+adapter

Most of the 7" headlamp units available are superior in beam pattern to the standard Bosch one.
Old 14-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #12
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
There has been a thread for several weeks on the UKGSer forum and this came out on there:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mp-conversions
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #13
jerry
Old Git

Gazza which is inyoir opinion the best LED bulb for beam and power that is currently available