UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Help Needed Bleeding M750 Rear Brake Caliper

Old 21-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #31
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Took the bike to work today and oh dear -not a locking rear brake but no rear brake at all! It seems I've now got so much free play at the pedal the pistons are not pads are not making any contact with the disc. I've introduced less free play and will test again on Friday.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #32
motomartin11

Update : brake will now only work by pumping the pedal to get the pressure up .
Old 25-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #33
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
If the brake was dragging enough to seize, then it may have overheated sufficiently to boil the brake fluid. I'd therefore flush and bleed the system again as a matter of course before trying anything else.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #34
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Yes, what Luddite said. The fluid obviously got heated in order to expand and bind the brake. In fact it was probably gas or moisture that did the expanding during the incident, even though it was new fluid, So I think I would be tempted to change it again.
Looks like you are suffering the tedium that I did with my rear brake and I sympathise, but keep at it.
I don't say this to imply doom, but I think that the seizing on incident on mine caused the disc to warp either directly or indirectly. Certainly prolonged dragging is going to warm it up more than normal and increase the chances of it warping.

Good luck..
Old 25-04-2021, 05:49 PM   #35
motomartin11

Thanks. I'll change the fluid when the new hose is fitted.I've ordered a caliper kit off Ducati Paddy as well-just in case. Hopefully the master will be ok but I can get the service kit if not. I do hope the disc is not warped though! but they seem to be plentiful in supply and not too expensive. All part of the fun of running a 25 year old bike isn't it!
Old 29-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #36
motomartin11

Well it's taken all day to bleed the rear brake on my M750 today.Got service kits for the master and caliper of Paddy Ducati and my mate did these for me no problem. The new hose from a well known internet site provider didn't fit. It was too short and one of the end fittings was wrong. The packet said it was for a 1994-2002 M750. We must have got through tons of brake fluid too.All working now though except the filament in the stop light bulb has expired.Had to raid one from one of my other bikes as I hadn't got a spare.
Old 29-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #37
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomartin11 View Post
The new hose from a well known internet site provider didn't fit. It was too short and one of the end fittings was wrong.
D'oh! I suppose that means you've got another mammoth bleeding session to look forward to when you fit the correct hose.
Old 29-05-2021, 08:46 PM   #38
motomartin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
D'oh! I suppose that means you've got another mammoth bleeding session to look forward to when you fit the correct hose.
Well I've sent a message via Fleebay and it appears neither they or Fleabay are interested as it's over the 30 day returns period.The fact that the hose is too short and or can't be fitted in the manner of the OE hose using the mounting point on the swingarm doesn't seem to bother them.As i said earlier one of the end fittings is completely different to the OE one. I've tried to reason with them but all I'm getting back is sarcasm-so it seems all I can do is leave negative feedback.
Old 29-05-2021, 08:54 PM   #39
Luddite

That's a pain. Did you pay via PayPal? If so, request a refund through them by opening a dispute on the grounds that the item wasn't as described. You can do that up to 180 days after you originally paid for the hose.
Old 29-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #40
motomartin11

Thanks-yes I did and yes I will! Although it's on the OE hose from 1995 I don't think the hose is a problem although I appreciate it would be good practice to replace it.
Old 30-05-2021, 06:00 AM   #41
motomartin11

Something funny is going on here.I can see through my bank statements there is a Paypal reference for my payment as the money was taken from my bank account through Paypal and I've emailed Paypal as the payment is not showing on my Paypal account and algorithm can't answer my enquiry. Getting a message "All our agents are offline...please try later." Also the tone of the emails from the seller is highly sarcastic.I'm not going to drop this now!
Old 30-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #42
motomartin11

I have now lodged enquiries / complaints through Fleabay and Paypal.Not holding my breath though.
Old 30-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #43
motomartin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Yes if I get a refund / correct hose but the 25 year old OE one seems to be working OK at the moment.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #44
motomartin11

The seller has now contacted me after I sent a pic of the OE and supplied hose. He now says if I send the OE hose to him he will make me up a copy. The problem is the bike is now in use and I don't want it off the road until the end of the season. Does anyone have an old OE rear brake hose that is surplus to their requirements please?