UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Life after the Slow Monster Rebuild

Old 28-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #1
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Life after the Slow Monster Rebuild

The slow monster will eventually get finished. Promise
I have a woodburner at home and a friend offered me some scrap wood to cut up and burn as it was cluttering up his shed. What he delivered was 1.5 x 8' x 4" fence posts and about 8 x 75" lengths of scaffel board. It was far too good to burn and I also did not have anywhere dry to store it so I decided to knock up a bike stand for the next project.
It turned out very heavy and strong and I wish I had designed it to accommodate casters but adding them now would make it too high.
I bought a front wheel chock/stand off ebay.
I managed to get the bike installed on the stand for what I hope will be a relatively quick project (c8 months) involving complete strip down, repaint frame, replace tank which is currently 5kg of ferric oxide, rechrome fork legs, rewire. I am pretty sure the engine is sound apart from a broken kick start spring, obviously I will change the toothed belt which drives the camshaft.
Here are some photos

Not sure if posting here will be allowed but it is a vee twin and it is Italian - also cannot find an active Morini website
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Gary T and Shuffy both owned a 3 1/2 so know people etc. Glad your fixing it finally soon.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
They're pretty bullet-proof mechanically from what I've heard. Electrics however could something else altogether. Did a '78 Lav 1200 resto a few years back that had been in bits for 20 odd years, so i know all to well what a can of worms looks like! Otherwise pretty solid bikes.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
Nasher

The workbench is looking good.

I've been going to sell the Plywood one I built for my last project, before I had my lift table, but because of lockdowns etc it's been stood on end in my storage container since the summer.
In some ways they are better than a lift table for a long term project because of the storage space underneath.

Nasher.
Old 28-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

http://www.morini-riders-club.com/
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
A link to the riders club! a bit premature I think. Bitza
Old 29-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
the lodger

I had a 3.5 for a good few years ( a later cast wheel one with a bikini fairing) It was a nice bike but not very fast. The main problem was the white metal main bearing shells, which didn't last very long relatively speaking. It was a very expensive bike when new.... more than a Norton Commando but nowhere near as fast. There was a UK dealer called Wee Vee who supplied all the spares you needed. Sadly no longer around like North Leicester Motorcycles who took over , but shut quite recently.
My old bike is still around but has been in bits for years. My friend also has one that he will do up when he retires, so they seem to be quite popular
Old 29-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My first Italian bike was a 3 1/2 Sport with the original double sided front drum. It was good early practice for the Monster grin.
I would say that a Commando wouldn't hold a candle to a Morini!
They cover ground quicker than most bikes without even trying. I used to ride it out with a Moto Guzzi Le Mans and there was very little between the two bikes except weight, and you don't bang your knee on the pot when braking on the Morini.

After changing the failed Ducati Electrotecnica ignition parts I got 110 out of it.. Do Commandos do that?

Richard, if you end up changing the ignition, you might find that it won't work the tacho properly. I have a "dongle" that connects inline to the tacho and makes it work again.
Yours if you need it... It's something to do with one system having a wasted spark and the other not?
Old 29-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Always liked the Morinis, my dad has a 500 Camel, which he keeps saying he's going to recommission because it doesn't actually need much to get it back on the road. However he's had it years and it's not moved an inch. I'll probably end up doing it some day.

velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #10
350TSS

Thanks Mr Gazza, no plans to change the ignition at the moment but will keep it in mind if the original system fails to function.
Nice that this thread has generated a bit of Italian interest
Old 29-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #11
motomartin11

Bike: M750
I was interested in these for a while and used to browse the bikes for sale at NL M/Cs but was always put off by the right sided gear change. Now too expensive for me but I still have a hankering.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 10:48 PM   #12
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I still have my 3 1/2 strada at the back of my garage, I was half way through trying to sort it but it's now sat untouched for a few years and I'll probably have to clean out the carbs again.
mine started but I could never get it to run well, possibly a jetting issue but diagnosis is not my strong point.
I'll watch any progress with interest though.
Old 31-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #13
350TSS

Snuck an hour andf a half in the garage today, not enough time to fiddle with the electrics on the Monster so I had a little play with the bambino vee twin. A couple of days ago I squirted all the fasteners with my mix for penetrating oil (50% acetone 50% diesel) and today I loosened all the fasteners (all came undone remarkably easily) and made a schedule of SS replacements which I have now ordered.
I welded up the LH footrest which had cracked.

I then started the strip down, I am taking lots of photos so I know how to put it back together, some of which I may as well share on here for those that are interested.

I am not looking forward to attempting to sort this lot out - I have joined the Morini Riders club and hopefully I can get access to a manual and wiring diagram.
Old 31-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #14
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
...some of which I may as well share on here for those that are interested.
Oh, we're interested, don't worry about that!

Alan Seeley has been restoring his own 1974 3½ Sport over the past few months (years?) and the latest update was in the February 2021 issue of "Practical Sportsbikes". I'm sure he could offer advice on wiring, special tools etc. if necessary. His email is alan.seeley@pspb.co.uk
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #15
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Good luck with the project. I for one will follow it with much interest.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote