UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello, i'd like a monster please.....

Old 29-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
trainofthought

Talking Hello, i'd like a monster please.....

Hi guys.

Been browsing the forum for a while, and thought i'd finally join and say hello.

I used to have an sv until some very kind lady decided not to look and pulled out on me .

Anyhoo, my pay out arrives soon and i really fancy a monster. I've been riding for about 2 years and i'm on a standby bandit at the mo.

Just looking for suggestions about which model you think i should get. Should i stick with the 600/620 or could i feasibly go for something bigger without:

a: killing myself
b: paying an arm and a leg in insurance. (I'm only 24)

Sorry for the essay, but just wnted to say that your forum is tops, and pick your brains.

Cheers Matt.
Old 29-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
banditloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainofthought View Post
Just looking for suggestions about which model you think i should get. Should i stick with the 600/620 or could i feasibly go for something bigger without:

a: killing myself
b: paying an arm and a leg in insurance. (I'm only 24)

Sorry for the essay, but just wnted to say that your forum is tops, and pick your brains.

Cheers Matt.
Welcome to the world of Monsterisms Matt

Don't discount the 750/900 Monnies Cheap to buy and as with all Ducatis, they sound nice, look nice but do need some looking after to keep them running nicely (don't look at mine, mine is a very bad example of that last statement )
Old 29-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
loon, yours is a great bike, loads of er, character? Matt, the older bikes are classics. I was with tommo from here at Brands a few weeks ago. He has a nice 750 and was in the fast group - clearly not the fastest, but giving the 170bhp rockets a run for their money.

Clearly a newer bike is going to be more reliable for everyday transport, but if you're after something fun that's not going to cost a fortune, look at the older bikes.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a good service history, has had the cam belts done within the last 2 years and if it's a newer bike with an imobiliser, you need the RED key as well as the blues ones.

Welcome to the club - enjoy!
Old 29-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
get an insurance quote on an S4 and PM me

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
They're all good but with a little personal bias I'd commend the 750's. Fuel comsumptions a steady 50ish usually, tyres last. Power delivery on all of the capacities is nice, always feels like there's more, no big power band they just pull and pull.
In common all the monsters (and the SS's) they handle well but you do have to work at it, these aren't your UJM hop on and nail pocket rockets.
You know when you've cracked it tho' it all comes together and feels good.

The highlights of my usual days are (a) going to work, (b) coming home I arrive at both ends with a grin on my face. Never got that with VFR's or CBR's.
Old 30-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
I would stick to the 750cc upwards bracket. Anything smaller may feel a bit underpowered at the top end compared to the SV, which I think is quoted at around the 73bhp mark?

A test ride should help make your mind up, but an S2R would be a good buy IMO, and would be one that may tempt me away from the 900ie at present.
Old 30-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
It depends what you can afford - none of the smaller ( up to 900cc) Monsters have scary power, in fact, as Gary says,you may find the 600 and 620 underpowered compared to your SV.
If you can afford it go for the S2R or the 695. If you can't, go for a 750, 800 or 900.
I don't think insurance quotes will be much different for any of them until you get to 1000cc.

Whatever you choose - welcome to
Old 30-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
eddie munster

Having just bought a 600 myself a few months back I'd reccomend something bigger. A friend (female) has an SV and it pulls way better than mine BUT I haven't ridden anything which puts more confidence in your riding than a monster, including the SV...For this reason she now wants a monster (she prefers my bike to hers).

Apart from the V-Twin torque my TDR250 would have gave the 600 a hard time (albeit in a cloud of blue smoke), but as before the monster is more planted, where you look is where you go...

I was all for blinging my 600, great intentions of spending lots of money on it...I think now that I'm better saving the bling money and getting an S2R...Really it comes down to GET A MONSTER and a decent set of boots with toe sliders

Welcome to UKMOC...being a newb myself, lots of helpful ppl here too!

Oh yeah and get a black one, they are they fastest in any model
Old 30-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
Duncan

I hired an SV650 in New Zealand and found it to be pleasant enough but very bland.
Whatever Monster you buy (and theres no substitute for cubes) the Monster will feel more planted and when you are cornering you will be more accurate with the lines you take due to better quality forks, suspension and brakes. The 600 will underwhelm you after the SV but all will make good progress because the chassis are confidence inspiring.
The pre 2000 chassis is basically one which was being raced on an 851 in World Superbikes so with loads less horsepower its well up to the job.

Darks tend to be less well appointed though most will be customised a bit and the bigger capacity models get span adjustable levers, better suspension, ally swing arms etc.
Old 30-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
trainofthought

Thanks a lot for your rapid advice guys.

Looks like i might need something bigger than the 620 then, if i can stretch the bank balance hopefully I'll be riding an S2R 800 soon!

If not it sounds like i'll be just as happy on one of the older models.

Great stuff, hope to see you on here soon once i've changed my profile from 'other bike - not ducati'.

Thanks again,

Matt
Old 30-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
Bodybag

As you said yourself, the S2R 800 would be my recommendation. You'll keep the older generation of Monster owners happy by having an air cooled (sorry, did I say that out loud?) but at the same time, it has single sided swing arm and is a very smooth and comfy ride. There's normally a few nearly new second hand ones about and this time of year is the right time to be buying.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Phil