UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » New to me 996

Old 18-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
New to me 996

Finally bought my dream bike from the 90's before I get too old or unfit to ride it.......good god I'd forgotten what torture machines sportsbikes are like to ride.

I've already purchased a new clear screen, the naff LED indicators are being swapped to originals (15.00 each from Ducati - bargain!). Also changing the clutch slave, it's still got the original and feels twice as heavy compared to my Monster.

Also considering changing the RR as I did on the s4 (Kato method with triumph leads and MOSFET yamaha RR). At idle the bike is sitting at 14V, negligible difference with lights on, so if it ain't broke don't fix it? No signs of any heat build up at the wires either. Surprisingly the bike is still running on an old school lead acid Yuasa battery, I though everyone had changed to gel by now.

Anyway pic of the 996 with the 916 in the background........

alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 03:38 AM   #2
Moco1961

Looks sweet Alan, congrats on the new addition, I guess you are not a sufferer of lower back pain then
Old 19-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco1961 View Post
I guess you are not a sufferer of lower back pain then
Soon will be.....

That does look mint, and off course the faster you ride it the less painful it is on the wrists

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 07:44 AM   #4
alan s4

It's not my back/knees that are the problem, it's my neck/wrists. Factory clutch slave on order (on eBay for 60.00 new currently) and looking at Helibars for my neck......don't suppose anyone has a set lying in the garage
Old 19-05-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I must be weirder than I thought as I found the 748R to be really comfy, might just be they were designed for my size?
Old 19-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
"and looking at Helibars for my neck......don't suppose anyone has a set lying in the garage"

Funny you should say that, actually I do, will dig them out.

As well as a ride height tool to reset the ride height when you adjust the chain and some other bits and pieces.

I'll have a hunt in the 'Ducati' box and let you know what's in there and we can talk a deal.
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
alan s4

What a guy! You will literally save my neck

Would be interested in the chain adjusting tool as the bike came with no tool kit. Let me know what else you have.

PM sent
Old 19-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
Dave G
Imagineer

If someone doesnt find you a c spanner for the chain then ask Ducati Glasgow how much the 916 toolkit will cost(if they still do them), it used to be under £20 at one stage- I know this for a fact as thats whats stowed under the seat of my S2R.
Old 19-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
alan s4

Cheers Dave - I'm heading over to DG soon to get some OEM indicators, will ask about the toolkit at the same time. Although from what I hear they are in a bit of turmoil at the moment having been taken over by Ducati Manchester. Moving to new premises and lots of staff changes.
Old 19-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #10
Dave G
Imagineer

New premises?, they've only just got to that new place, where are they going now?
Old 20-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #11
alan s4

Moving to smaller premises on same estate (the old ride-on shop), also opening up new store in Dundee. Big knock on effect on service times - currently working to a 6-8 week lead time.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:57 PM   #12
alan s4

Big thanks to Simon (AKA Crust) for selling me his HeliBars as well as a few other nice bits for the 996. They look like they will make a big difference - much wider as well as higher and a less acute angle - hopefully my wrists/neck will now be able to withstand more than 30 mins on the bike.

I'm now in the process of fitting the bars, unlike the originals which are hinged and can be removed without dropping the forks, the helibars are one piece and the forks need dropped.

2 things:

1. Any recommendations for 916/996 specific forums (along the lines UKMOC?) I don't want to bombard you kind people with non monster specific questions.

2. in the meantime.......I need to remove the air tubes, there isn't any filter contained within the tubes themselves, there looks to be a foam type filter nestling behind, is this the norm?

Thanks, Alan

Last edited by alan s4; 03-06-2021 at 08:01 PM..
Old 04-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #13
Nottsbiker

Looks lovely - my 996 was the only bike I've ever truly regretted selling but they are rapidly getting out of reach price-wise for me
Old 04-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
final_edition

Bike: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Big thanks to Simon (AKA Crust) for selling me his HeliBars as well as a few other nice bits for the 996. They look like they will make a big difference - much wider as well as higher and a less acute angle - hopefully my wrists/neck will now be able to withstand more than 30 mins on the bike.

I'm now in the process of fitting the bars, unlike the originals which are hinged and can be removed without dropping the forks, the helibars are one piece and the forks need dropped.

2 things:

1. Any recommendations for 916/996 specific forums (along the lines UKMOC?) I don't want to bombard you kind people with non monster specific questions.

2. in the meantime.......I need to remove the air tubes, there isn't any filter contained within the tubes themselves, there looks to be a foam type filter nestling behind, is this the norm?

Thanks, Alan
You don't need to drop the forks, just take the top yoke off.
final_edition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #15
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

It will probably have under tank filters like these:

https://ducatiparts-online.com/ducat...98-324-19.html

I have this type fitted to my 916:

https://www.thepipercrossshop.co.uk/...et-sock-mpx014

Yorkie