UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Thinking of a Monster......

Old 15-09-2022, 05:41 PM   #16
Brian.

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
If you want something light and lithe I have a '76 350 scrambler that I'm going to be selling. It gets historic machine status so tax and MOT are a simple click on the DVLA site. Kick start though so needs the nack.

I'd say go for a 750 pre fuel injection, the weights not really much different to the 600 or 900's. It gets you the age thing but then you do have a much older bike. Miles on the engines are not so much of an issue, I had a 750 run to over 80K.
Thank you for the offer of your 350, but I've pretty much set my mind (although not 100%) on an early Monster. I doubt you have any problems finding a buyer for it though!

Brian.
Brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 06:55 PM   #17
motomartin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
Thank you for your reply I do love riding my GS750 and thought about a GS550 but there's not a great deal of difference in the weight. Also, the centre of gravity of my Suzuki is high, it's top heavy as well as just plain heavy.

Talking of temperamental, I do remember one or two interesting times with my 900SS I've heard of plastic tank issues, not just with Ducati either, but they are steel on early Monsters aren't they? Which reminds me, one of the interesting times I had with my 900SS was the petrol tank rusting through underneath, me patching it up temporarily because I couldn't find a rust free replacement, and then the regulator/rectifier going up in smoke. One of life's sphincter-twitching moments

The 25 year bit with the VMCC isn't exactly for purists, it's because some of the rides & events etc I like to participate in are for classic bikes only, for many of the rides it doesn't really matter what we use.

Brian.
Yes the early Monsters have a steel tank. You can still get the usual age related issues with them but obviously not the swelling plastic. The tank prop can cause leaks due to twisting of the metal so best to not use it with much fuel in or use a piece of timber instead.
There can also be electrical issues with the early models but nothing out of the ordinary as far as I'm aware. Check that the battery is charging and keep it charged up over winter if the bike is not being used. Check the heavy battery / starter cables are corrosion free-someone does an upgrade but mine were OK when I checked.
Don't forget if you need OE spares you can get a 10% discount at Moto Rapido if you mention this forum.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 08:30 PM   #18
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomartin11 View Post
Yes the early Monsters have a steel tank. You can still get the usual age related issues with them but obviously not the swelling plastic. The tank prop can cause leaks due to twisting of the metal so best to not use it with much fuel in or use a piece of timber instead.
There can also be electrical issues with the early models but nothing out of the ordinary as far as I'm aware. Check that the battery is charging and keep it charged up over winter if the bike is not being used. Check the heavy battery / starter cables are corrosion free-someone does an upgrade but mine were OK when I checked.
Don't forget if you need OE spares you can get a 10% discount at Moto Rapido if you mention this forum.
Thank you
Old 17-09-2022, 03:52 PM   #19
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The steel tanks also have issues with ethanol, it absorbs water, the water drips out of suspension and sinks to the bottom where it can cause corrosion at the bottom of the tank.... which is where it hinges.

Whichever or whatever you get clean the tank out (steel or plastic) ratttle a generous handful of steel nuts around in it for a while, reclean and then seal with ethanol safe epoxy.
Old 18-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #20
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
The steel tanks also have issues with ethanol, it absorbs water, the water drips out of suspension and sinks to the bottom where it can cause corrosion at the bottom of the tank.... which is where it hinges.

Whichever or whatever you get clean the tank out (steel or plastic) ratttle a generous handful of steel nuts around in it for a while, reclean and then seal with ethanol safe epoxy.
Old 18-09-2022, 07:14 PM   #21
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Or ... if the tank innards look ok, just use Esso's best grade of E5 fuel which actually contains no ethanol at all (In most parts of the uk anyway .. extreme north and south excepted).
My own 750 has seen little or no ethanol and the (steel) tank is fine.
See this thread.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...hlight=ethanol
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 10:01 PM   #22
Brian.

Agree with you, I already use Esso in my GS750.
Old 23-09-2022, 01:11 PM   #23
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
There's Jerry's 750 for sale at the mo http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=60042
Old 23-09-2022, 11:31 PM   #24
Brian.

Thank you Nick, I have sent you a message.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:35 PM   #25
Brian.

Monster questions!

Hi again all,

I've found a bike I'd like to buy, but there are issues to consider - not many though; mostly I can sort them one or two I'm not sure about.

The headlamp lens is cloudy on the inside - is it possible to dismantle & clean it? Or is it sealed and therefore the whole unit needs to be replaced?

Can anything be done about the side stand springing up when the weight off it? I really don't like that. My 1995 900SS had that too, and I recall changing the spring anchor plate for a different shaped one to make it work like a normal side stand.

There is an issue with what appears to me to be clutch drag. It is difficult, almost impossible in fact, to select neutral from first gear at a standstill when the engine is cold. Fine once it's warmed up. The slave cylinder looks is marked "Oberon CLU-0116", which appears to be an upgrade, is it actually better than a Ducati one? Or could it be causing the problem?

I did searches on the forum for the above, but nothing really came up as if these are common issues.

All answers gratefully received!

Thank you, Brian.

Last edited by Brian.; 02-10-2022 at 07:39 PM..
Old 02-10-2022, 08:52 PM   #26
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
With side stand situation, the spring adaptor which stops the stand automatically popping up is available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-90...edirect=mobile

From what I remember with my first Ducati, a Paso. The adaptor is universal.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:12 PM   #27
Brian.

Thank you, that looks like the one I used on my 900SS, I did not know these are universal.

Just the job, much appreciated
Old 02-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #28
motomartin11

My750 drags the clutch on the first gear selection when cold but is fine afterwards. Neutral can be selected but you need to move the gear lever subtly . The clutch does slip under heavy load on mine and I'm awaiting back order of after-market plates. Not sure whether it's a 750 you are looking at but I was under the impression on mine (early year model) the slave cylinder is part of the engine casing and cannot be changed?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:42 PM   #29
Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomartin11 View Post
..............Not sure whether it's a 750 you are looking at but I was under the impression on mine (early year model) the slave cylinder is part of the engine casing and cannot be changed?
Hi Motomartin,

Thank you. Yes, it's definitely a 750, and definitely an Oberon cylinder bolted on the outside. Maybe they varied from year to year? This was registered in 1998?

Brian.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #30
motomartin11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
Hi Motomartin,

Thank you. Yes, it's definitely a 750, and definitely an Oberon cylinder bolted on the outside. Maybe they varied from year to year? This was registered in 1998?

Brian.
Hmmmmm-you may well be correct-maybe it's just the very early ones as I understand the clutch assy on the 96 and 97 MY bikes are different-someone on here pointed this out when I was looking for the clutch plates for my bike?