UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » I'm definitely not buying a monster..

Old 03-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #16
GWLS

WOW What a welcome! Now I know I'm making the perfect choice!

Thanks so much for your wonderfully helpful and enthusiastic responses to my first post...

Right i'm a quick learner

1) Don't fekkin' use Metropolis, unless you're the type of person that likes the sound of the snapping a latex glove against a custom's officers wrist, whilst in alone in a dark room the wrong side of the border you're trying to cross
2) Restrictors are for pussies... right, stop being a twat and just be careful with throttle
3) Get some post test training! thanks for the info, JP i'm going to follow that exactly and will reach out when I feel time is right for the more serious stuff
4) Check insurance... check, not too bad (feared worse), assuming the stupid tinternet comparison sites aren't lying - if all else fails go to Ducati insurance

So i've now provisionally arranged transport and delivery to Ray at Rosso Corse for some fettling while i'm on hols (thanks for your tips here on this especially! I'm talking details with him tomorrow)... DSA is already booked paid and locked in diary, if I fail (hopefully not!) i'll arrange some stuff with Duc Aylesbury - thanks for the tip!

oh and I DEFINITELY DID NOT BUY and NAME a mistress this evening...

So everyone this is Ghita in her pre-tart phase, white as pure driven snow!!!

#hopepicswork

Last edited by GWLS; 03-07-2015 at 09:04 PM..
Old 03-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #17
GDCobra

Nice looking bike. Enjoy. Take your time and ride your own ride not end one else's.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #18
bazread

Stunning in white !!

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:42 PM   #19
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
A monster ?
....where ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #20
Ursa

Welcome and good call on getting Ghita down to Ray at Rosso Corse for some TLC. He has lots of pretty carbon things to make Ghita sparkle even more.

On a serious note Edna my 695 is my first big bike after many years of Lambretta riding, and she's just peachy. Comfortable, nippy, not too heavy.

I would suggest getting a set of R&G crash bungs fitted incase you have a dropsy whoopsy (it happens. ..)
Old 03-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #21
tricky73

Welcome Gary Good luck with the non purchase, I personally would just take it home not much she can do once it's delivered, sure she will moan but it will not last that long just seen the pics nice looking bike
Old 03-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #22
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Yes, forgiveness is far easier to obtain than permission sometimes

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #23
GWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
Welcome and good call on getting Ghita down to Ray at Rosso Corse for some TLC. He has lots of pretty carbon things to make Ghita sparkle even more.

On a serious note Edna my 695 is my first big bike after many years of Lambretta riding, and she's just peachy. Comfortable, nippy, not too heavy.

I would suggest getting a set of R&G crash bungs fitted incase you have a dropsy whoopsy (it happens. ..)
Ghita is getting as many crash bungs as feasible when she goes to Ray, she may get a few colour accent parts, possibly remove some ugliness from passenger rear peg supports with black paint /powdercoat and having seen Flips pics of anodised shocks...

Hmm think there could be a very long list, but perhaps leave some for later
Old 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #24
GDCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Yes, forgiveness is far easier to obtain than permission sometimes
your honour!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #25
GWLS

Talking Update!

Only a little bit excited....

So I passed Module 1 yesterday, and have a pre Module 2 4 hr prep session when I come back from holiday, and then test the day after... so fingers crossed!!

I've had confirmation that Ghita has been collected from Plymouth, so she will now be one route to Rosso Corse in Stepney, where Ray will fit 14T sprocket, give it a good 2-3 hr service and replace those god awful silver passenger rearsets with something black

woo hoo

Old 08-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #26
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Nice one, congrats

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #27
GWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Nice one, congrats
Cheers Dirty! You don't want to see my ebay shopping basket.... or my list of potential web purchases FFS!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #28
Flip

Bike: M900
Welcome along to the world of Monsters, congrats on the 'non' purchase and on being some of the way to getting a licence already. I think the new models look really nice in white although not really sure if a Mistress would be dressed so virginal. One reason why my Monster is definitely best described as a long term bit on the side (15 years now) ok with there being others but always happy to be spoiled too. My Mistress is definitely the older lady, still able to turn heads but demands even more to keep happy which incidentally, she isn't at the moment after throwing a hissy fit at Brands last weekend.

Anyway, back on thread- I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said so far but just to warn you if you haven't worked it out yet, they can be very addictive and cause sudden unexplainable expenditure.

I suspect you may be needing to use this saying soon but like Dirty I am definitely of the belief that it is easier to get forgiveness than it is permission:

Probably a good thing you bought your wife a ring now rather than leaving it.
Mine thought she was getting a new necklace until this gold chain turned up:

Seriously though, if it hasn't been done already I would be inclined to go up a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket rather than down one on the front as it gives the chain a bit of an easier time along with a little more clearance over the swing arm, although is a little more expensive to buy and fit.

Whatever you decide to have done you have made a good choice of bike and I am sure you will have loads of fun.

Last edited by Flip; 08-07-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #29
GWLS

Flip

Thanks for the comments, I'll certainly look into increasing the rear sprocket there's quite a good reference that I came across for gearing http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Yes addiction I understand, I have pedal bikes as well (they can also be quite expensive!) - not one of them is standard, including a full custom single-speed that I created from an old mountain bike frame - perhaps i'll post some of those later!

G
Old 08-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #30
Flip

Bike: M900
Yes Gearingcommander is a good reference but you'll only need to go up a couple of teeth on the rear and shouldn't need a longer chain to do so.

I know Ducati specify a smaller 14T front sprocket as an option but I think the main reason for doing so (apart from correcting the over gearing in order to comply with the EU noise tests) is purely down to cost and ease of fitting (thus reducing costs further if paying for professional labour) but going up on the rear is a far better way of doing it if possible.