UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » I'm definitely not buying a monster..

Old 03-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
GWLS

Wink I'm definitely not buying a monster..

Hi everyone! I'm Gary, i've got blonde hair.... only joking!

First off, don't have pics yet... and officially i'm not buying a bike according to the wife

HOWEVER

It's our anniversary on Monday and i've bought her a very nice ring that she covets but doesn't expect to EVER get, i'm working on the basis that will give me the necessary slack for the bike to be delivered

I am in the process of "not" purchasing a 10 reg Pearl White / Black Stripe 696 which looks very nice and well looked after - going to speak to bike transporter today to get the low down and then going over to Metropolis in Barnet to see if they would be happy to take delivery and do some immediate fettling (that way allowing me sufficient time to conclude negotiations) If people want to see the bike i'm DEFINITELY NOT buying let me know and i'll get some pics of it

There's also the small matter of getting my licence!

I'm no longer a pup and whilst I rode off-road and small bikes from 13 to 20ish , i hadn't been back on a bike for 20 years. Hopefully doing my module 1 DAS on Tuesday, providing I get through the mock tomorrow.

I know that everyone says DON"T buy a monster as your first big bike, but I really battle with the thought and hassle of buying something I don't want and then selling it in a year or so and pass the chance to buy this beauty i've seen (did I mention she only has 900 miles on her!?!)

It may be a little mad, but i figured I could always restrict it initially with the 46.6bhp kit and then remove the restrictor later (note as a fat middle aged man I'm doing direct access so I would only be restricting it for my own and others safety)

Look forward to the banter and meeting up when me and the mistress are eventually allowed, for now i'm here to sit back and learn

G
Old 03-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
welcome and id agree with you. get what you want first. dont faff around as you will regret it. in terms of worrying its too powerful and too big a bike remember twins arent the same as a four cyl. so you cant say base it on the CC of the engine. twins you will find have more torque and the engine does a lot more braking.
i personally think the monster is a perfect starter bike. without being restricted. not the greatest turning circle in the world but handle great, good brakes and parts are easy to come by and maintenance if you are that why inclined is easy enough to carry out yourself.
have had a few ducati's only because nothing else appeals to me. i dont feel they have the same spirit/soul as a duc. all the jap stuff looks and sounds the same anyway. dont think i will ever have anything other than a monster now though just as it ticks all the boxes for me.
my only advice would be maybe to look at the bigger engines first.
you cant go wrong with a 750 i know i would have got bored of a 600 maybe if i had had one.
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Gary welcome mate..........one observation if I may, if the Metropolis you mention are the same firm or even associated with Metropolis in Vauxhall steer very clear of them unless you want a world of pain

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
MerlinPV12

Bike: M1100evo
Love the intro, welcome - hope the ring does the trick, the things we do to buy a bike eh!

Pics are the default setting on here so put em up for all to see

As a returning old (ish) biker myself I got a very nasty shock on my first insurance, so have a go at getting some quotes before you push the button on the bike - Ducati Insurance sorted me out eventually...

Let us know how it all goes
Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
A big week ahead for you then Gary.
Good luck with all of those.
Welcome to the forum.
If you are successful in the week ahead there's unlimited knowledge through the forum from owners.
BigOz did a lot of major and minor changes to his 696 so he's a wealth of knowledge.

Also, and I found this worked really well with concerned non-Bikers, is to find yourself Post-Test Training. It will save your life and make you a better road rider.
Look into doing a Police Bike Safe Day
Sign up for an I.A.M advanced test (the cheapest advanced riding tuition you'll find)
And if you're really serious, call my friends at www.rapidtraining.co.uk and tell them J.P sent you. Real world road riding skills that is worth it's weight in gold.

If you need any advice let me know.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Moley1

Bike: M1200s
Welcome Gary, I was in a similar situation regarding riding - had rode 125's in my late teens but nothing since. So 20 years later, I did my test and bought a 696 in March this year. Very happy with it and would recommend it as a first big bike. Enjoy!!
Moley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Hi, welcome and congrats on your non purchase

As Kato says avoid Metropolis like the plague, IMO/E no matter which branch they are a complete shower of excrement and will charge you a ridiculous amount for a crap service. I think their Ducati rate is £90 an hour.

Give Rosso Corse in Stepney a call http://rossocorse.co.uk/

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Welcome

1. Don't go to metropolis. Try some where Like Rosso Corse.
2. There is already a restricter fitted. It's called the throttle. Don't open it up so much.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I couldn't agree more with absolutely everything that everyone else has said.
As a biker since 1970, I have found that a monster of around that size is all you'll ever need ....plus maybe a big single for the winter.
My 750 will be my only, big road bike from now on....period.

And welcome.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
GDCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWLS View Post

It may be a little mad, but i figured I could always restrict it initially with the 46.6bhp kit and then remove the restrictor later (note as a fat middle aged man I'm doing direct access so I would only be restricting it for my own and others safety)

G
No need for that all bikes are fitted with a restrict or device, it's usually rotted on the end of the RH handlebar, if you don't turn it too far towards you the power is reduced.

Seriously though I think the power made by a big twin is more controllable and hence safer than lower power made by a smaller capacity engine with a power band as wide as a religious zealot's mind.

Good luck with the new bike by the way.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #11
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWLS View Post

I know that everyone says DON"T buy a monster as your first big bike, but I really battle with the thought and hassle of buying something I don't want and then selling it in a year or so and pass the chance to buy this beauty i've seen (did I mention she only has 900 miles on her!?!)

G
I would say that the monster is an absolutely ideal first big bike. Light and easy to handle, steers very neutrally, linear power delivery and a low seat height, it's near perfect. Just go for it, you'll love it. I wouldn't restrict it either, it'll have a similar amount of power to the bike to learn on so should pose no real problem.
Good luck with the wife!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #12
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

If you dont have your license yet, then consider talking to Ducati Aylesbury

They do lesson on the Monster 696. Get your DAS on a bike you are going to buy
Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #13
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Give Rosso Corse in Stepney a call http://rossocorse.co.uk/
and for Reference their rate is £72 an hour (£60 +VAT)

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Just called Metropolis Vauxhall and they are £90 + vat per hour.

Use Rosso Corse, don't use Rosso Corse.

Either way, Don't use Metropolis. More horror stories than happy endings.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:51 PM   #15
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
and for Reference their rate is £72 an hour (£60 +VAT)
Yes and they don't take 90 minutes to change the oil and filters!

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote